Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
WOW! 20k tow capacity is massive! I think you must be talking about GCWR. Pretty much all states require a brake system and the weights are pretty small. Here is the minimum weights per State.

State and Province Towing Laws
LOL... hell no, the DX3 has a 54,000 GCWR.

It has a 20K pound towing capacity.
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #62

We just had the InvisiBrake installed in my Wrangler. Never have to remember to do anything. Permanent install, out of site, nothing to remember to turn on or off. Small light in RV panel comes on when Jeep brakes apply and a warning buzzer if Jeep brakes are active for too long. Great for us newbies!
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:38 AM   #63

I use M&G Engineering out of Texas.
I tow a Chevrolet Silverado Duramax with 4x4.
The brake controller fits in line with the Master cylinder in the truck.
It is activated by air from a unit mounted under the coach.
Air unit is activated by hydraulics from the coach brakes.
Sounds complicated but is very user friendly.
Have had it in the truck since 2003 when I drove a class A with air brakes.
Just adapted a unit under the Dynamax to use with the existing system since there is no air. M&G sells the unit to install in the coach also.
Give them a call or look up on line.
Jake
jacksonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:16 AM   #64
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
LOL... hell no, the DX3 has a 54,000 GCWR.

It has a 20K pound towing capacity.

That is massive! I’m not at all familiar with what you have but I can tell you that all states have a minimum weight that requires brakes on the towed vehicle which is in the link I posted.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
That is massive! I’m not at all familiar with what you have but I can tell you that all states have a minimum weight that requires brakes on the towed vehicle which is in the link I posted.
It’s Dynamax’s DX3. What sucks is the states aren’t consistent. A few states have zero weight limits, they simply require that you are able to stop within 40’ feet while going 20 mph.

My problem with crossing state lines is which DOT rules apply? I mean, for instance, if you live in Florida and have blacked out tinted windows which are legal in Florida, you clearly aren’t going to rip your tint off going across state lines.

I actually am at a crossroads now. The Dynamax rally in Tennessee is this weekend. I want to tow my Jeep and leave the jet skis attached to it. Triple towing is legal in TN but not in NC. (While I am a resident of NC, my RV is registered in TN)

So what am I suppose to do, drive them separately until I get to TN?

I wish the laws were more consistent state to state.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad