Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

LP Quick Connect Connection?

Hello all. We discovered a Quick Connect connection while under the steps of our REV 24rb installing a "step saver" (which is awesome!). I imagine that the quick connect is for a propane grill or heater or something of the sort? Question is: how does one access this quick connect connection? Does anyone use it? If so, is there a particular extension to the hose? The connection is inaccessible for general use based on its location (requires you to get on your back under the RV). Many thanks!
gottomoveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Many forum users have commented on the location of propane quick connect. Some have come up with ways to make it more usable. On my rig I found that two step savers was the way to go and prevented any twisting when not stepping in the center of the step.

here is an article on one fix http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ct-140320.html
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Originally it is there as a manometer test for the LP system. technically you are supposed to run that test with equipment in place. But what some mfg's do, is pull the line at the fridge fridge to test. Problem being...who is testing the port that you just had to reconnect?

So, this little quick connect was designed to do that test without disconnecting any appliances. By product is that it started being used as a quick connect for grills.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #4

You should be able to extend the piping and route to a usable location. We have a grill and fire pit hooked to ours. The main consideration is any device connected cannot have its own regulator as the propane connection is already regulated. Many YouTube videos on removing the regulators.

Here is our fire pit which we use all the time when there is a burn ban as they will allow propane fueled devices when fires are banned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C6B0EE8-D1A7-4D15-B28A-D5D2A1F2F616.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	177352   Click image for larger version

Name:	3A57D8FC-10DF-4613-9ABC-B3F07778B156.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	177353  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Lifesylers

Mine is easy, however, I have discovered you need special grill. Cannot just have propane company rig up quick connect. Really sucks. 40 Berkshire DP
Quick connect in basement with thru deck grommet.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

i had one installed on my new tt so i can use a portable stove top and bbq grill i bought a 10 foot extension hose off amazon to help put the grill away from tt
alillico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #7

We had a quick connect on this camper but it was directly under the right side propane tank. VERY inconvenient.

I re-plumbed it with 1/2" galvanized pipe to a location just forward of our steps. Now it is convenient and I use it for both our propane grill (Weber Go Anywhere) and our 3 burner cast iron cooktop. Works great.

Prior to finding it I always thought I could smell propane near that tank and could not find a leak. I even changed out the regulater thinking that wa it, no luck.

When I changed it I learned the quick connect is also a ball valve. The handle must be turned sideways to attach to it, thus keeping the ball valve closed. Prior to re-positioning it the handle was in the open position and the only thing preventing it from being fully open was the spring seal inside the ball valve.

THAT was the source of the propane smell. It was seeping out of the open ball valve when there was nothing connected to it. It could have been dangerous if the spring got so weak as to leak enough propane to ignite and cause a fire.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
You should be able to extend the piping and route to a usable location. We have a grill and fire pit hooked to ours. The main consideration is any device connected cannot have its own regulator as the propane connection is already regulated. Many YouTube videos on removing the regulators.

Here is our fire pit which we use all the time when there is a burn ban as they will allow propane fueled devices when fires are banned.
Wow! Love the fire pit...awesome! Thanks.
gottomoveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Is there a quick connect on our 2019 Isata 5? Looked under and didn't see one. The propane tank is located in the center, remote fill in the generator bay.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Yes...I think we put them behind a small door on the rear passenger side.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #11

Found mine. It’s in the upper left side of the water tank bay.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes...I think we put them behind a small door on the rear passenger side.
Found mine in the water tank bay. What do I do when refilling the propane? Crawl under the coach to turn off the valve? Or is the valve controlled by that switch? Tell the propane filler guy that when the switch is off, the tank is off?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
Commercial Member

??? I'm not sure what you mean. The quick connect valve doesn't affect filling the tank.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #14

Brian, I think I understand what Casey is asking as I have the same question. Our I5's were the first ones off the line that had the propane tank moved to the middle of the chassis. Our LP fill location is in the driver's side generator compartment, with a toggle switch next to it. I assumed that the switch operated a remote 12volt cutoff valve. There is a manual cutoff valve on the tank. I have not been able to physically locate a 12volt remote valve, is it supposed to have one? If not, Casey is right, we will have to crawl under the coach to manually cut off the valve to facilitate filling the tank.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
Commercial Member

It's for a shut off solenoid...so all you need to do is flip that switch.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #16

Thanks I5PhilGa for clearing up what I meant. Exactly and BC the answer I was looking for. Just tell the propane guy it's an electric cut off, turn the switch off and fill the tank, the bleed is a remote too and right next to the fill port. I'll test it all out tomorrow. Heading to the Grand Canyon and with cold nights anticipated we'll need the furnace.
Thanks to you all.

Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #17

Had our tank filled last week. The filler guy shut it off because there was no gas coming out of the vent. I had to crawl underneath to open the vent on the tank. Left it open and have been watching to make sure we’re not leaking. So far so good.

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

Thanks, I just unscrewed the bleed valve and a puff of gas came out so hopefully mine is on and I won't have to crawl under there.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

I was considering using my quick disconnect for my gas fire pit, but I wanted to rig a 20' hose up to it. Being the connect is already low pressure, putting a long hose on it like that is going to reduce the volume further, below the 58k BTU max you can get out of the fire pit. By the time a pay for the hose and couplings, I could have bought a few tanks of propane! So....I'm just going to bring an extra propane tank in the bed of the p/u for such occasions. I can also use my portable gas grill I just bought, and with the separate tank use it without being confined by hose to RV, and get all 38k BTU out of the grill as well, without modifying the original hose and making it unusable for anything other than RV use. Final thought, is I have one of those propane trees that attaches to a propane tank I can put my Coleman North Star lantern on top to see what I'm cooking or light the area. So after long and hard research on using that quick disconnect, I've decided just bringing a separate propane tank it the cheapest and most practical route.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #20

Originally Posted by bclemens, post#13: "It's for a shut off solenoid...so all you need to do is flip that switch"

Well folks, there is no "solenoid" valve installed on my LP tank, just the manual valve. The switch next to the fill connector in the generator compartment has no voltage on either wire (pink and yellow w/ black tracer), pictures below. After removing the regulator cover on the tank, it appears that the wires going to the switch are terminated in one of the harnesses.

Brian, could you please provide a wiring diagram of how the remote solenoid should be wired and also how to obtain said solenoid so I can install one? It would also be nice if Casey or someone else with a 36 DS mid-chassis mounted LP tank could post a picture of the tank with the solenoid valve installed. I'm old and I really don't want to have to crawl under this beautiful coach every time I fill up with LP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	189839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	189840  
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote