Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A catch 22 situation.

Yes it will keep the slide from coming out during a failure... but... just remember to remove it before deploying the slide(s).
I've seen people use similar and it can bend/break a lot of stuff when the slide tries to extend under power when forgotten.
There in lies the problem... my previous TT had slide braces and I used them routinely. I'm not sure it would have done more good here than bad. If the slide had disengaged from the motor or the brake and slid out by gravity or outward force from going around a corner, it would have prevented the situation. However, I was on a straight-away and believe the motor powered out the slide which would have resulted in tons of damage to the slide as it tried to push through the braces.
No win situation here until the slide motor loses any possible power feed while the engine is running/ignition switch is on.
Hey_nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes they use to supply them, but not anymore that I know of
Cost versus profit thing....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Come on really? This rods are less than a dollar. The schwintec slides I believe say not to use them or they are not needed.,.but in any event, I think the bigger deal is when they are left in by accident and then dealer or retail customers run the slide out, damaging the slide fascia and potentially worse, the slide motor. Of course it is the Mfg's fault because we put them in, didn't make the sign big enough, or didn't label them properly. No win situation. But it is certainly not to save $4

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #24

As we're getting back into camping season, i'm interested in knowing if anyone else has power to the LR slide with the MH engine running and/or in drive. My BR/Bunk slide loses power as soon as you turn the key, but the LR has power at all times. My assumption is that the power should be cut to both slides with the ignition key on.

LazyWays had it for a month and "couldn't find anything wrong".

Brian, still interested in hearing from the engineers on this if you have a minute.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
Commercial Member

There is nothing wrong. The issue you're noticing is that the coach has two different slide mechanisms and they have different requirements for lock out.

The LR slide is an underfloor system by Lippert. Requires higher voltage and so they require the engine to be on so that it solves 90% of their troubleshooting issues. Lock out is normally tied to the E-brake.

The bedroom slide is a Norco cable slide. Lower operating voltage but their installation instructions probably include a lock-out wired tied to ignition.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #26

Thanks Brian!
So, am I to understand that with engine running and e-brake off trans in drive...that there should be no power to the LR slide switch enabling the slide to operate?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #27
Commercial Member

I'd have to check their set up. I know at my previous division, you could in fact operate the slide while going down the road.

I think someone commented "what if their kid...". And I think my response was, "for one, you have to push and hold the button which is normally out of reach and the second I hear that button get pushed, It would be the last time any one of my kids got near that button"

Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #28

So this all raises a question for me. If you remove the fuse or open the breaker will the motor be locked and not let it roll out on its own? I get the power part being removed so the switch or short won't cause it to operate.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Hey_nav, have you reached out to Lippert on this? It sounds like some wires crossing, but they might be able to walk through some troubleshooting. The fact that its intermittent, makes me think wiring as well.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
So this all raises a question for me. If you remove the fuse or open the breaker will the motor be locked and not let it roll out on its own? I get the power part being removed so the switch or short won't cause it to operate.

Most if not all motor driven slides cannot freewheel
due gear engagements or built in brakes (denergize to set.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #31

We had intermittent going in and out of our front slides on their own also....the rear bed cable slide did not. Any of our three slides could be made to go out while in gear moving down the road. My thoughts were that the main Circuit boards had developed solder whiskers. So I bought new boards and had them installed. I also had a master disconnect installed in the battery compartment to kill any power to the slides panels.
Since the replacement of new boards I have not had any ghost openings or closings of the front slides and thus have not had to master disconnect them.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #32

I also had the switches replaced at the same time as the boards just to insure all of the electronics were new.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide