Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

LR slide self deployed on I-25

Potentially dangerous but defiantly scary!

So there I was driving down I-25S this morning doing about 65mph when I happened to look in the rear-view mirror to see my living room slide deploying....with my 10yo daughter sitting in it. Wife, kids, and cats were no where near the button and nothing is stored in the cabinet that could have hit the button.
As soon as I realized what was gong on, I immediately pulled to the side of the highway where luckily I had enough room to just clear the driving lanes.
We tried repeatedly to bring the slide back in but the buttons would not work. Not sure if it was just waiting 3+ minutes or that I turned the ignition off, but the slide finally retracted.

What the heck would cause this and how do I keep it from happening again??

I-25 between Casper and Cheyanne isn't that winding and I was straight and level so I don't think it just rolled out without power...

Of course because it's Sunday no one is open to look at it or talk to at FR till tomorrow so we're just gonna press as is and hope for the best.

I did notice that the rear(bunk) slide does not operate with ignition on but front slide does. Is this right??
Hey_nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

One potential downside of the force...

Self deployment of slides while underway.

Uh oh!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Not sure if our slides operate when the truck is running, never tried it. I wonder if your slide motor released or was it actually making the motor sound?
That would be scary, glad you are all ok.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Never heard of that before, other than on hydraulic slides...where a valve can leak and let the slide creep out. Electric, I've never seen it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

This happened to me a week after I bought my 2015 DX3 (bought it used). While sitting in my driveway the kitchen slide went all the way out and the dinette slide tried going in past the stops and slightly bent the outside flange on the slide. Mine was caused by the roof not being sealed properly at the factory. The seam between the front nose section and the main roof was not sealed completely, this allowed water to get down inside the tower behind the drivers seat and short out both controllers for the slides. I had to buy two new controllers and reset the stops so far so good. A roof seam not being sealed properly from the factory is poor quality control.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Not sure if our slides operate when the truck is running, never tried it. I wonder if your slide motor released or was it actually making the motor sound?
That would be scary, glad you are all ok.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2

I can't say for sure if the motor was running because of the engine/road noise at the time, but the slide did deploy to its full 3+ feet and lock into place as though the motor pushed it there. I've never had a slide motor "release", but would have thought it would only come out partially and hang there depending on the angle of the rig/gravity.

To add to that, we left Coeur d'Alene on Saturday morning and drove 11 hrs through Montana and into Wyoming, boondocked at Walmart (didn't extend slides) and drove an additional 2-3 hours Sunday morning before this happened.

We've put over 12,000 miles on this rig in the last 6 months and this was a first!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

Pull the switch and make sure the connectors are not loose where they plug onto the tabs on the rear. I could see one being loose and making contact with another. On a previous trailer those connectors fell right of the switch as they fit really loose.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Pull the switch and make sure the connectors are not loose where they plug onto the tabs on the rear. I could see one being loose and making contact with another. On a previous trailer those connectors fell right of the switch as they fit really loose.
That's were I'd start also.
In the mean time- is there a fuse you can remove to make sure it doesn't
deploy itself again??
I know some have circuit breakers that cannot simply be removed.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_nav View Post
So there I was driving down I-25S this morning doing about 65mph when I happened to look in the rear-view mirror to see my living room slide deploying....with my 10yo daughter sitting in it. Wife, kids, and cats were no where near the button and nothing is stored in the cabinet that could have hit the button.
Had to find Google. I've never seen people riding in a 5th wheel before and didn't know it was legal.
Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, West Virginia allow riders in Fifth Wheel trailers throughout their state borders, according to Wide World RV Center and Towing World.

California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota permit riders providing there is an audio or visual device connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel and the driver of the towing vehicle.

California law requires that Fifth Wheel trailers have safety glass, seat belts and a minimum of one exit that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Oregon requires an exit in the Fifth Wheel that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Pennsylvania and South Dakota require safety glass in the Fifth Wheel trailer.

Wisconsin requires that there be verbal communication connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel with occupants in the towing vehicle and prohibits children under 12 from riding in the RV unless a a person 16 years or older is riding with the younger children, according to Siren, Wisconsin's, FAQs.

Kansas allows riders 14 or older in the Fifth Wheel.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Had to find Google. I've never seen people riding in a 5th wheel before and didn't know it was legal.
Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, West Virginia allow riders in Fifth Wheel trailers throughout their state borders, according to Wide World RV Center and Towing World.

California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota permit riders providing there is an audio or visual device connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel and the driver of the towing vehicle.

California law requires that Fifth Wheel trailers have safety glass, seat belts and a minimum of one exit that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Oregon requires an exit in the Fifth Wheel that can be opened from the exterior and interior. Pennsylvania and South Dakota require safety glass in the Fifth Wheel trailer.

Wisconsin requires that there be verbal communication connecting passengers in the Fifth Wheel with occupants in the towing vehicle and prohibits children under 12 from riding in the RV unless a a person 16 years or older is riding with the younger children, according to Siren, Wisconsin's, FAQs.

Where was it mentioned it was a 5th wheel?
The OP's signature and the catagory on this forum where the post originated indicates it is a Dynamax. (motorhome)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post

It'd s class C MH. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #12

That is scary, It happened to me in my 5th wheel not a MH like yours, I was traveling down I -10 and my bedroom slide opened it was an accuslide, I never did find the problem since then I put a 2x4 as a brace so it can't open checked the switch and all wiring never found a short..Glad nothing happened to the MH or your family, It Is very Scary for sure....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #13

LR slide self deployed on I-25

Can you explain your 2 x 4 solution for keeping the slide from accidentally opening?

Marie M.
MarieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #14

I've had a bit of sliding of a slide when the rig is stored, but never all the way and never on the road (at least not yet). However, RV shops sell slide locks for a reason. They're inexpensive, easy to use and a good investment to prevent slide creep.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #15

Mis-read the original post.... Sorry.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
Can you explain your 2 x 4 solution for keeping the slide from accidentally opening?

Marie M.
Sure close the slide and measure from the the wall to edge of the slide trim, then just turn it on 2" side on the slide roof from the wall to the back side of the trim on the front of the inside trim attached, you might be able to lay it flat on the top of it, like I did, all you need is one, hope that helps, you can pad the ends if you want with a piece of rug, it will not open after that.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Sure close the slide and measure from the the wall to edge of the slide trim, then just turn it on 2" side on the slide roof from the wall to the back side of the trim on the front of the inside trim attached, you might be able to lay it flat on the top of it, like I did, all you need is one, hope that helps, you can pad the ends if you want with a piece of rug, it will not open after that.
A catch 22 situation.

Yes it will keep the slide from coming out during a failure... but... just remember to remove it before deploying the slide(s).
I've seen people use similar and it can bend/break a lot of stuff when the slide tries to extend under power when forgotten.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #18

My cousin's older Flagstaff tt (2009?) came from the factory with 2 "slide lock rods" for his slide. Even had labels on the wall as to where to place them. They reminded me of the adjustable rods that you use in a pickup truck's bed to keep things from sliding about.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
My cousin's older Flagstaff tt (2009?) came from the factory with 2 "slide lock rods" for his slide. Even had labels on the wall as to where to place them. They reminded me of the adjustable rods that you use in a pickup truck's bed to keep things from sliding about.

Bob
Yes they use to supply them, but not anymore that I know of

Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
That's were I'd start also.
In the mean time- is there a fuse you can remove to make sure it doesn't
deploy itself again??
I know some have circuit breakers that cannot simply be removed.
Will definitely try checking the switches to see if anything is an obvious cause.

Talked to FR service and they're talking to the engineers to see if there is a fuse/CB that can be pulled but they may be tied into the brake that holds the slide in place as well, so hope to hear something back before we depart our current location.

Tags
slide