Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Maximum Solar Install: Force/DX3/XL

Hi - I'm looking to install substantially more Solar on my 2018 DX3. I would love to go 1,000 watts+. I'm curious what the maximum amount anyone has been able to fit on your Force/DX3/XL? Whats the configuration? I would love to get to 2,000 watts but not sure if thats possible (note - I'm adding lithium and hope to get that fully charged via solar during daytime, thats the rationale...).

Would love your input!

Thanks
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Always Learning

How much power do you use in a day? You should size your battery bank to your power consumption and your solar to your battery bank.

You might only need 800W or you might need 2,500W of solar.

But it all starts with an energy audit.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

I fit 600 and could probably squeak 1000 on there but didn't like not having anywhere to walk. Theres a guy on Facebook that moved his sat and went with big LG panels and I think he managed 1400 or so. That's prob the best you'll get without some craziness.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

You may want to look into flexible solar panels. One can walk on these with CLEAN soft soled shoes. this would allow covering most all of the roof area that is flat. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Another thought: Your wire size that you can route through the roof will also determine how big of a system you can run. 1000 watts at 12v is like 84 amps. which would be a 2 or 4 gauge cable.

You would have to have a larger charge controller also. I think the one in a DX3 is a 30amp controller.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Another thought: Your wire size that you can route through the roof will also determine how big of a system you can run. 1000 watts at 12v is like 84 amps. which would be a 2 or 4 gauge cable.

You would have to have a larger charge controller also. I think the one in a DX3 is a 30amp controller.
That's why you put them in series and use an MPPT controller.

I would avoid flexible panels. Since they sit next to the roof, there is no cooling which hurst their output a lot. Also, because of the heat, they will typically only last a few years.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #7

Yes plan to run 2AWG. Will likely need some sort of series combination to get above 1000w

And imo stay away from flexible.

Good summary of the cons here https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for...lexible-panels
Old 10-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Yes plan to run 2AWG. Will likely need some sort of series combination to get above 1000w

And imo stay away from flexible.

Good summary of the cons here https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for...lexible-panels
I went with two 10AWG Solar Cables to the roof through the refrigerator roof cap.

I started with six 100 watt panels & added four more. I over-sized for my 50 amp MPPT as they are flat on the roof. I saw 650 watts of power last summer but average 450 watts in good sunlight. I plan to go to series-parallel, but the panels are parallel to keep it simple for my installer. (paid by the hour)

Yesterday, I was able to adjust my Battery Control Center to work with my Battle Born batteries.

We love the freedom of boondocking.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3, solar