Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Jim & Gerry

MCD Shades

We are at MCD Innovations in McKinney, TX having our shades replaced with the powered, remote shades.

The existing shades would not go up smoothly, and needed a little push to go up. I also could not reach several of them easily, so wanted power.

As our technician was replacing the shades, he was removing the clips and placing them in another place. I asked why, and he told us that the shades clips were in the wrong place. He said he could fix them so that they would work smoothly. But we opted for the power shades anyway.

The clips to hold the shades should be within two inches from the end of the track. When the clips are in the wrong position, the track bows, binds the shades and they will not move as designed.

We are very happy with the results. It has been a very smooth transaction. Love the new shades!
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #2

Although it’s not a Dynamax, I noticed while replacing a poorly made valance on our Sunseeker, that Forest River did not follow MCD’s guidelines for the number of supports needed in mounting the MCD shades. While our shades work OK, it suggests that anyone having trouble with shades should see if the RV manufacturer even installed them correctly.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnOn View Post
We are at MCD Innovations in McKinney, TX having our shades replaced with the powered, remote shades.

The existing shades would not go up smoothly, and needed a little push to go up. I also could not reach several of them easily, so wanted power.

As our technician was replacing the shades, he was removing the clips and placing them in another place. I asked why, and he told us that the shades clips were in the wrong place. He said he could fix them so that they would work smoothly. But we opted for the power shades anyway.

The clips to hold the shades should be within two inches from the end of the track. When the clips are in the wrong position, the track bows, binds the shades and they will not move as designed.

We are very happy with the results. It has been a very smooth transaction. Love the new shades!
Hi Jim, I’m thinking of doing the same. Would you mind sharing the cost and did you replace all?
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Jim & Gerry

Hi- we have 8 windows in the coach area and replaced all of the Mcd shades. Nothing was done in the cab area or the coach door.

We called MCD, and they emailed a cost estimate sheet. The cost depends upon the size of each window, and what you want powered. We opted for a combo - the Day shades (which will probably be left down 90+% of the time); were not powered, saving about $1800.) We powered all of the night shades. Love it! Measure width and length, then add in cost for each motor. If you get both the day and night shades powered, then there is a price for two motors for each window. There are mini charts for each size range with a cost.

The technician did a wonderful job explaining everything to us, and was very efficient with the wiring access, hiding it completely when he could. If not possible, he described what he could do, giving us multiple options and letting us choose. Very good experience. Nice to work with someone very knowledgeable.

The estimate sheet notes that labor is not included but is hourly. It took about an hour per shade, for 8 hours labor. Hope this helps
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi- we have 8 windows in the coach area and replaced all of the Mcd shades. Nothing was done in the cab area or the coach door.

We called MCD, and they emailed a cost estimate sheet. The cost depends upon the size of each window, and what you want powered. We opted for a combo - the Day shades (which will probably be left down 90+% of the time); were not powered, saving about $1800.) We powered all of the night shades. Love it! Measure width and length, then add in cost for each motor. If you get both the day and night shades powered, then there is a price for two motors for each window. There are mini charts for each size range with a cost.

The technician did a wonderful job explaining everything to us, and was very efficient with the wiring access, hiding it completely when he could. If not possible, he described what he could do, giving us multiple options and letting us choose. Very good experience. Nice to work with someone very knowledgeable.

The estimate sheet notes that labor is not included but is hourly. It took about an hour per shade, for 8 hours labor. Hope this helps
Thanks. Appreciate it
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

MCD end cap replacements

Has anybody been able to source the little plastic end caps that are on the pulldown MCD shades? Several has fallen off, and I can't seem to find any online or on the MCD website. Haven't tried calling them, but I bet they charge way too much for them!!
randocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:

Will pass this on to our installers....but I know MCD comes in an audits all the time. Would be helpful if they told us these things.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote