Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Anybody have interest in penciling in a Moab trip late Sept this year?

Also thought I'd share this video I made from a trip a couple years ago

https://youtu.be/iddFjkktwik
Sweet video, I love Moab. How was the Kane Creek CG with the DX3? I've never stayed there before but was planning to on our next trip.

We might be up for it if its late September, I have a street race in Snowmass Village September 13, 14, 15. I don't have my big crawler anymore though, just a RZR 1000 Rocks & Trails that does pretty good. Or we have the Rubicon X 4dr with a 4" lift, 35's, armor and a winch. Think either of those can keep up with you so you don't get bored running the bunny hills?

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #42

I think either could be fine. 35s will get you thorough most of what moab has to offer and we actually had a RZR on trail with us for the cliffhanger portion. Definitely can find some fun there.

I've never stayed down in Kane creek that's just where the trailhead for pritchett is. I'd question getting a big rig down the road into that campground. Its pretty tight and twisty.

I was lookin more at 9/25 to 9/28 or so.

Other alternative would be the Ouray area which would be perfect on a RZR
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #43

Either one works for us, running Black Bear is always a hoot. Were taking the RZR to Moab in April, even got license plates on it so its street legal. No problem doing Moab twice in the same year.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Great video Fourwhl!!
Never been to Moab, but want to. Attending the east coast rally this year "hopefully" but this summer we become southerners and will be looking for a south or west coast rally next year. Also new places to wheel. We did Jeep jamboree 3 times and some other trips on the east coast, but will be following this to see when we could possibly join in a Moah trip, or other west coast excitement
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #45

I'm not going to use the word rally for fear of never living up to Hallas reputation but maybe Dynamax wheeling event. Lemme think on it a bit because Moab is not the greatest for camping in my experience but then again neither is Ouray. Both are amazing for wheeling. Ouray is a little more scenic moab a little more challenging
Old 02-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Haha ok I agree, who can live up to halla? When we go wheeling we've never camped at a nice resort, there hasn't been anything like that nearby. I think a wheeling trip would be awesome!! And just hanging out anywhere after a long day on the trails is fun for us. Not been to Ouray either, another one on the bucket list.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #47

I'm thinking about going down to the Moab area to do some mountain bike riding this Spring. I've never been there before. Anybody have an idea what would be the earliest I could do this?
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #48

I'm in - both places are on my list to visit. I can make most dates work. I would love to go wheeling with you guys with more experience. That video is awesome, although now have tire envy - I'm not sure I can hang with you guys. My jeep is a 2017 Rubi, 3.5" lift, 35's, winch, armor.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #49

I’m also interested as long as you guys are willing to help a noob
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #50

Haha I was the small guy on 37s in that group. That said Moab has a TON of trails that are good for smaller jeeps. Really it was made famous with CJs and YJs on 33s.

I'm absolutely up for showing a newer group around and we can still hit some of the more iconic trails.

After thinking some more I wasnt crazy about the camping accommodations in Ouray and the KOA being the best really isn't setup for more than a couple of us. So I'm thinking Moab is best. Let me call Spanish Trails and theres one other on the Nortn side of town that might be a good fit and I'll get something formal posted.

Probably going to cap this at 10 to possibly 15 rigs to keep the group manageable on the trail but seems like theres enough interest to make it worthwhile.

Dates will he the weekend I mentioned above.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
I'm thinking about going down to the Moab area to do some mountain bike riding this Spring. I've never been there before. Anybody have an idea what would be the earliest I could do this?
March probably on the cool side but will warm up during the day. April will be beautiful. May is probably the last bit of sanity before temps start delving into satan's butthole territory
Old 02-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
OK, lack of patience with people and first visit to EJS = Unhappy camper

At EJS hundreds and hundreds of Jeeps will show up. All trail runs have at least 50 rigs on them in various stages of build & disrepair. Inevitably someone up front will break an axle in a bad spot and the entire run will sit and wait, sometimes for hours. All restaurants, hotels and the downtown area are wall to wall all night long.

When you are off the trail you can go to Potato Salad Hill behind the city dump for entertainment. There will be hundreds of people there watching the "hold my beer and watch this s**t" crowd trying to drive their mostly stock rigs up a steep and rocky hill climb, a lot of them roll their rigs to see who gets the loudest cheers from the crowd. Watch it on YouTube. You have to go at least once just to see the spectacle.
Figure on 5-7 thousand Jeeps.

I have done it a couple of times and you hit the nail on the head. If carnage and stupidity are on your list of must see's your cup will runneth over. I have done 2 maybe 4 EJS and if you enjoy wheeling, then it's not much fun for all the reasons Randy described.

That said I have made a good 10 or 12 trips to Moab and some of my most enjoyable time have been in the fall. Not so hot and few people there. We did Thanksgiving there a few years ago and had a great time, did some snow wheeling on our last day.

If you are Jeeper and never done EJS then you need to, its Meca. I am sure all on here are mature adults but I will pass this on anyhow. The County and city of Moab make most of their annual budget during EJS.

There is a reason to go any time other than the wheeling: Zax Woodfired Pizza. It's an all you can eat, the beer is cold the pizza is great and you can tell them what you want and they will make it for you.

Overall good almost anywhere you go, prices not that high. Great place to go, lot of fun and no matter the time you chose just drive down the local grocery store parking lot and you will find Jeepers that will invite you to come along as they prepare to hit the trails. If you have never done it and driven the "slick rock" then be prepared to be amazed at what your Jeep can do and no the rock is NOT slick!!!

A few tough challenges

Some great views:

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Haha I was the small guy on 37s in that group. That said Moab has a TON of trails that are good for smaller jeeps. Really it was made famous with CJs and YJs on 33s.

I'm absolutely up for showing a newer group around and we can still hit some of the more iconic trails.

After thinking some more I wasnt crazy about the camping accommodations in Ouray and the KOA being the best really isn't setup for more than a couple of us. So I'm thinking Moab is best. Let me call Spanish Trails and theres one other on the Nortn side of town that might be a good fit and I'll get something formal posted.

Probably going to cap this at 10 to possibly 15 rigs to keep the group manageable on the trail but seems like theres enough interest to make it worthwhile.

Dates will he the weekend I mentioned above.
For planning purposes please post equipment requirements and trails you have planned? Sorta like the RR4wheelers do? Thanks...
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #54

I'll likely keep trail choices to something a stock wrangler can do with some assistance from a spotter. As always lift, bigger tires, lockers, winches are all good things to make life easier but won't be a requirement here.

I'll be including a spot for some Jeep details in the inevitable registration form so that I can tweak trails to the group we end up with. If we end up with some more built rigs maybe we'll do a day on something harder or something. Still very much fluid at this point
Old 02-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #55

That Moab trip sounds great, we would definitely like to participate. Where do we sign up.
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #56

Nowhere yet ... I'm going to call a couple campgrounds this week and try and get some details. I'll then make a new thread with a registration form and such.

Was just gauging interest to start with but clearly we've got that
Old 02-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #57

I'll be sure to shoot PMs to everybody that's mentioned interest here so it doesn't get missed. You guys will obviously have first dibs.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #58

Thank You, should be FUN. Looking forward to it.

Cindy & Walt
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #59

Quote:
I'll likely keep trail choices to something a stock wrangler can do with some assistance from a spotter. As always lift, bigger tires, lockers, winches are all good things to make life easier but won't be a requirement here.

I'll be including a spot for some Jeep details in the inevitable registration form so that I can tweak trails to the group we end up with. If we end up with some more built rigs maybe we'll do a day on something harder or something. Still very much fluid at this point
Great plan!
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #60
Cruisin

Interested!
DX3MAN is offline   Reply With Quote