Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Moab Trip?

Anyone planning a late Summer or early Fall 4 wheeling trip to Moab, Utah? It might be an opportunity to coordinate schedules and have a mini-DX3 rally mixed in with some world class wheeling.

Dee and I are ready for a wheeling trip with either the Razr or the Jeep.

PS-For those that dont wheel it is also a mecca for mountain bikers, hiking and just amazing scenery and general sight seeing.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

I’m cashed on PTO for the year but let’s do something like this next year

I’ll probably try and make EJS in April as well as spend some time in the area in October of 19
Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

Deal! Isnt EJS a zoo trying to find an RV spot or do you just boondock it? I did hear that a new campground with RV spots opened up on the river road right across from the entrance to Pritchett's.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

I have no idea as I’ve never been! I’d be it’s a zoo though. I probably should get a reservation in soon now that you say that

I probably won’t do the whole week due to my lack of patience for people. Maybe do the last few days to catch the vendor show then hang out afterwards while it quiets down a bit. More to come. Let me do some thinking
Old 08-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #5

We just came back from Moab this past week. We stayed at the Spanish Trails RV park and it was very nice. We only toured the National Parks, but certainly saw the off road crowd pretty much everywhere.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

That’s the one I’d penciled in to try next. That and there’s one resort on the north end of town that looked pretty nice too. I’ve stayed at the KOA and Moab Rim and neither impressed
Old 08-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I have no idea as I’ve never been! I’d be it’s a zoo though. I probably should get a reservation in soon now that you say that

I probably won’t do the whole week due to my lack of patience for people. Maybe do the last few days to catch the vendor show then hang out afterwards while it quiets down a bit. More to come. Let me do some thinking
OK, lack of patience with people and first visit to EJS = Unhappy camper

At EJS hundreds and hundreds of Jeeps will show up. All trail runs have at least 50 rigs on them in various stages of build & disrepair. Inevitably someone up front will break an axle in a bad spot and the entire run will sit and wait, sometimes for hours. All restaurants, hotels and the downtown area are wall to wall all night long.

When you are off the trail you can go to Potato Salad Hill behind the city dump for entertainment. There will be hundreds of people there watching the "hold my beer and watch this s**t" crowd trying to drive their mostly stock rigs up a steep and rocky hill climb, a lot of them roll their rigs to see who gets the loudest cheers from the crowd. Watch it on YouTube. You have to go at least once just to see the spectacle.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
We just came back from Moab this past week. We stayed at the Spanish Trails RV park and it was very nice. We only toured the National Parks, but certainly saw the off road crowd pretty much everywhere.
Amazing scenery isn't it?

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
That’s the one I’d penciled in to try next. That and there’s one resort on the north end of town that looked pretty nice too. I’ve stayed at the KOA and Moab Rim and neither impressed
I think the KOA is the Slickrock Campground. Pretty scruffy but hey, you're wheeling and they are one of the few campgrounds that will let you wrench on your rigs.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

We are there the whole week of Easter....we dry camp off 313 at a place called cow jug.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #11

We're going to be there in October. Would love to meet up. I'm not sure of the exact dates for Moab, my travel secretary is on a cruise with our daughter.

Can't wait to get there, just put 35's on the Jeep, regeared to 4.56 and added front and rear lockers. Pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

We're also hitting the big 5, horse shoe canyon, etc.....

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #12

We went the week before EJS last year. We had a great time and not many trail plugs out the week before.
We are going to trail hero / trail breaker next month at Sand hollow. Unfortunately the spots at the state park filled fast so we will not be rving this year.
I might try to join y'all next year though at Moab if I can avoid the crowds.
Gas-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
We're going to be there in October. Would love to meet up. I'm not sure of the exact dates for Moab, my travel secretary is on a cruise with our daughter.

Can't wait to get there, just put 35's on the Jeep, regeared to 4.56 and added front and rear lockers. Pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

We're also hitting the big 5, horse shoe canyon, etc.....
That setup on the Jeep will work fine for all but the hard core buggy trails.
October is a great time to go, trails are empty, weather is usually clear and dry and temperature is a lot cooler. Where will you be coming from?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Anyone planning a late Summer or early Fall 4 wheeling trip to Moab, Utah? It might be an opportunity to coordinate schedules and have a mini-DX3 rally mixed in with some world class wheeling.

Dee and I are ready for a wheeling trip with either the Razr or the Jeep.

PS-For those that dont wheel it is also a mecca for mountain bikers, hiking and just amazing scenery and general sight seeing.
subscribed... let us know if this comes to fruition. Jeep or rzr...

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #15

Subscribed as well. We don’t have Rzr’s, but we’re always up for a good wheeling trip.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #16

Quote:
That setup on the Jeep will work fine for all but the hard core buggy trails.
October is a great time to go, trails are empty, weather is usually clear and dry and temperature is a lot cooler. Where will you be coming from?
We're leaving Florida September 12. Heading across Arkansas and on to Great Sand Dunes then meeting friends in Zion. Not sure the exact dates we'll be in Moab.

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #17

Quote:
OK, lack of patience with people and first visit to EJS = Unhappy camper

At EJS hundreds and hundreds of Jeeps will show up. All trail runs have at least 50 rigs on them in various stages of build & disrepair. Inevitably someone up front will break an axle in a bad spot and the entire run will sit and wait, sometimes for hours. All restaurants, hotels and the downtown area are wall to wall all night long.

When you are off the trail you can go to Potato Salad Hill behind the city dump for entertainment. There will be hundreds of people there watching the "hold my beer and watch this s**t" crowd trying to drive their mostly stock rigs up a steep and rocky hill climb, a lot of them roll their rigs to see who gets the loudest cheers from the crowd. Watch it on YouTube. You have to go at least once just to see the spectacle.
No I know exactly what it entails, just not sure I need a full week of it. A few days of spectacle followed by a few days of enjoying the peace and quiet is probably more my speed.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #18

Quote:
I think the KOA is the Slickrock Campground. Pretty scruffy but hey, you're wheeling and they are one of the few campgrounds that will let you wrench on your rigs.
My biggest issue with KOA was how unlevel the sites were. I carry a decent amount of 2x6s for blocking but still ended up running to ACE to get more wood. I think after the dust settled my front wheels had 10” under them and the front jacks 4”. Was a giant PITA

Saw a show hauler that just let them hang like that all week. Couldn’t believe it.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Subscribed as well. We don’t have Rzr’s, but we’re always up for a good wheeling trip.
Jeeps or Razr's, can all run the same trails together. Having used both in Moab my experience is a properly equipped Razr can go anywhere a built Jeep can go, maybe on a different line. There are some ledges and rocks that are simply too tall for the Razr's wheelbase, but the Razr can take a different line that is too small for the Jeep and still make the obstacle. The Razr's seem to be a lot faster too, trails that take 2 hours in the Jeeps are like 45 minute runs for the Razr's.

Name some dates that work for everyone. Something to keep in mind especially if coming from the East: If the dates move in to October the weather in Moab should still be great. BUT the deeper you get into October the greater the chance you will be driving through the mountains in a snow storm. Probably wont be too great a chance of the interstate being closed or mandatory chain law, but be prepared to drive 7%-9% grades up/down on snow packed roads. Very doable if you just go really slow so just an FYI. On the other hand, it could very well be a glorious sunshine day, dry roads and great Fall colors to see.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #20

I just bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler to tow so that we would have a mode of transportation while camping. It's completely stock except for a 2" lift. Are there any putt putt trails for beginners?