Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

My biggest fear...

When I sold my dually and fifth wheel and bought a diesel pusher, I told my wife as we were signing papers I was afraid that because of the type of places we go with the rzr, we're gonna get stuck.

Well it didn't take but a few times and the diesel pusher got stuck. When I traded it in for the DX3, I was so hoping the locker in the rear axle would help.

Well, apparently not... We went to leave last night and because it rained the day before, I was stuck.

Thankfully the farmer next to me came to my rescue with his tractor. Cheapest tow bill for 100 bucks I'll ever get.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	192120  
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

Mark,
I use my DX3 like you do for riding the SxS alot and we also end up in muddy fields quite often, that is exactly why I carry a set of tire chains. I figure I can use the leveling jacks to lift the back wheels off the ground, throw the chains on in no time and claw my way out.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

Get a cheap 4x4 for a toad! Just in case you need a pull again.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
Mark,
I use my DX3 like you do for riding the SxS alot and we also end up in muddy fields quite often, that is exactly why I carry a set of tire chains. I figure I can use the leveling jacks to lift the back wheels off the ground, throw the chains on in no time and claw my way out.
That's exactly what I'm said last night.... I think a set of chains would have worked perfect. I had set of plastic strips that UPS uses for their vehicles but clearly the DX3 weighs a whole lot more...

Any suggestions on chains? Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul GA View Post
Get a cheap 4x4 for a toad! Just in case you need a pull again.
I had the trailer on the back of the RV and I promise a 4x4 wouldn't work. We were with 20 other guys who all have duallys and trucks and I laughed when they said they wanted to hook their chains up and try to pull me out.

I let one guy attempt to try and he didn't even budge the RV with his jacked up dodge 3500 dually and mud tires...lol.

Chains are the way to go unless I can pull a tractor with me.

Mark
Old 11-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #5

I was able to pick mine up locally at a truck parts store.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Mark,

Had DP and got stuck, traded for DX3 for same reason. I have not got stuck yet, but looks like it can happen.

What is your plan now? Dynamax has 4x4.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I was able to pick mine up locally at a truck parts store.
I just read the part about raising the wheels off the ground to install the chains. Great idea!

Mark
Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #8

I carry 6x6 blocks for under the jacks with me in case I need raise the rig extra high.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I carry 6x6 blocks for under the jacks with me in case I need raise the rig extra high.
Words from the wise...
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Mark,

Had DP and got stuck, traded for DX3 for same reason. I have not got stuck yet, but looks like it can happen.

What is your plan now? Dynamax has 4x4.
This past summer we were in several very muddy farm fields with our ISATA 5 4x4. At one event the land owner was laughing at me and said that if I went out into that field (parking area for the event) that he'd go get his tractor to pull me out. Heavy rains continued for a week while we were there. On departure day while he was pulling a few rigs out we drove off in 4 wheel high and waved good bye. There are a lot of trade offs of course between an I 5 and a DX 3 the biggest is of course CCC, but for off roading capability, this rig is pretty nice.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #11

I have decided that since I only park in the fields when towing our trailer to use the rzr. I think I'm going to get a 3/4 thick piece of plywood, cut it in half and the next time I get stuck, use the suspension to raise the tires off the ground and place each piece of plywood under each rear wheel.

Wonder if that would help.

Mark
Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #12

Plywood would help, they also make a product that you can lay down in front of your tires. Lower the pressure in the tires is always very helpful in soft stuff, you'll need a way to pump them back up. Also, never use your brakes on soft stuff. Simply go slow, plan ahead and roll to a stop. That way your tires don't break the surface tension of the soft stuff and you'll have a better chance of rolling out when you leave. I've pulled out a few heavy motor homes stuck in the desert.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Emergency...&wl13=&veh=sem
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I have decided that since I only park in the fields when towing our trailer to use the rzr. I think I'm going to get a 3/4 thick piece of plywood, cut it in half and the next time I get stuck, use the suspension to raise the tires off the ground and place each piece of plywood under each rear wheel.

Wonder if that would help.

Mark

Don’t forget to cut an extra couple of pieces for your jacks as well. You wouldn’t want to get those stuck too.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #14

Per a previous recommendation here quite a while back (from RV Randy, if I remember correctly), I cut a sheet of treated 3/4” plywood into 8 2’x2’ squares and screwed them together in pairs to make 4, 1 1/2” thick, bases for the jacks to use when we’re setting up on soft ground. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them under the rear tires if I got stuck.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #15

I have watched some mobil home movers use a plastic honeycomb looking thing to do as you are describing when they had to pull the mobil home across a field ( to avoid a sharp turn in the road ). The placed these strips about 3-4 feet long in front of the tires, rolled their length and placed a second one. They kept picking one up and placing it in front of the other. I had to stop because they were blocking the road, so I watched and learned...
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #16

It happens ... I use jacks to lift the rear end and put some wood under the tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	193123
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post

Any suggestions on chains? Amazon?.

Chains are the way to go unless I can pull a tractor with me.

Mark
Etrailer is the place for chains. Not only do they sell a plethora of various quality tire chains and chains for different purposes, they have people you can speak to who will help you work out what is best for you. You will be amazed at how many options there are.

Bruce
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
It happens ... I use jacks to lift the rear end and put some wood under the tires.

Attachment 193123
Yeah, I wasn't smart enough to think about that at the time... I'm going to next time though...lol.

Mark