Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

my USED DX3 is junk

2015. I purchased in December of 2017 with 30,000 miles.

I am in tens of thousands in repairs and now the ceilings, walls, floors, and sub floors all need to be gutted and replaced.

I don't know where to start...

-slides leaked and needed seals
-roof leaks in 3-4 places
-slides cracked the interior and exterior on the corners
-power storage switches work randomly
- stairs/motor fell off driving down the road
-self level does not work, its way off
-A/C leaks water in side(weep holes are clear)
-9 doors have fallen off
-there are bolt holes in the floor behind the couch where you can see the ground
-horrible septic smell fills the rv if you use the toilet then drive it(we keep it very clean and flushed)
-water leak at the filter
-water leak at the outside shower
-had to get a furnace rebuilt
-molding falling off in 3-4 places
-water heater needs constant attention to work
-the chair behind the passenger seat broke off the floor and is unfix able because its a terrible design
-TV antenna wont work
-outdoor speakers, only 1 works
-outdoor DVD doesn't work
-only one side of the range works
-mirrors wont stay on track in the bed room, they fall off
-shower dome is cracked

and most recently it sat for 1 week and we came out to 3 new leaks that ruined the ceiling, 3 walls, hard wood floor, sub flooring under carpet. water was standing in the bathroom, bedroom, living room.

So this weekend I go under it to look around. The welds are woeful, the metal framing looks like a beaver chewed it, it was not cut or ground straight and I cut my hand on welding wire hanging down.

The way these things are built is scary bad.

I cant be the only one to have issues like this, is it known they are junk and I just bought one not knowing how bad they are?
rvdx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

I forgot to add

-I have remounted 5 of the valances
-I remounted 3 of the roll down blinds that fell off
Old 08-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Obviously the Previous Owner had some of the same issues with that particular 2015 DX3 and did not disclose the issues with you. You've heard the phrase Caveat Emptor, Buyer Beware.

My 2018 Dynamax DX3 is having a couple of issues, but nothing as you described. MY coach drives straight and smooth (for a Medium Duty truck), it tracks well on the freeways.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

Did you buy it sight unseen?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
Obviously the Previous Owner had some of the same issues with that particular 2015 DX3 and did not disclose the issues with you. You've heard the phrase Caveat Emptor, Buyer Beware. .

I get that but yesterday the guy who owns a local coach repair shop who was trying to fix some of these things told me that it is his normal experience with Dynamax. He has a friend who is lawyered up chasing them with lemon law.

most of these issues were not pre-existing and would not be related to a previous owner.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #6

Actually I don't believe they are junk but do feel without proper maintenance they can turn into junk. And buying without a really good PDI can result in buying one that has serious shortcomings. It sounds like nothing as been done to seal the leaks/roof what ever before the water pours in. I hear your frustration but these rigs need on going maintenance.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sounds like nothing as been done to seal the leaks/roof what ever before the water pours in. I hear your frustration but these rigs need on going maintenance.

Don't make too many assumptions. We found some wet carpet in march and immediately took it in. a FR dealer said it needed new slide seals so we had them do it.

the leaks now are all new and obviously coming from the ceiling, some of it is hanging down.

So go through my list and point out the maintenance items? I've owned issue free RV's for years.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
Did you buy it sight unseen?

no. It's just now falling apart.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #9

I was just going by your description of problems, good luck with what ever course of action you take.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #10

A lot of the leaks sound like lack of maintenance coupled with outdoor storage. Unfortunately water intrusion causes the most widespread and labor intensive repairs. My 2016 with 35,000 mi on it barley looks like it’s aged at all but I’m definitely due for some caulking updates.

Sounds like this particular unit was used pretty hard in its first couple years

Then there are a few minor everyday stuff mixed in there looks like (valences, leaky filter, etc).

I’d start with the water/mold damage first as that’ll dictate how extensive your repairs are. Get those leaks sealed up ASAP!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

I hate leaks because water just destroys everything over time Sorry for your troubles. Have you tried to make a claim to your insurance company?
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
A lot of the leaks sound like lack of maintenance coupled with outdoor storage. Unfortunately water intrusion causes the most widespread and labor intensive repairs. My 2016 with 35,000 mi on it barley looks like it’s aged at all but I’m definitely due for some caulking updates.

Sounds like this particular unit was used pretty hard in its first couple years

Then there are a few minor everyday stuff mixed in there looks like (valences, leaky filter, etc).

I’d start with the water/mold damage first as that’ll dictate how extensive your repairs are. Get those leaks sealed up ASAP!

It's an insurance claim now. Waiting on the adjuster.

I'll have them look at the slide cracks as well, I bet that's a big repair covered by comprehensive.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I hate leaks because water just destroys everything over time Sorry for your troubles. Have you tried to make a claim to your insurance company?

yes. I am going to get it fixed.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #14

Any thoughts on the over all construction and welding?

It was not skilled labor that cut and welded on this.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #15

Hopefully. They like to link it back to an event or occurrence that caused all the problems. Things like a tree branch falling on it during a wind storm or a collision. They seem to be less likely to cover the “slow leak” because of as they will say, “lack of maintenance”.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #16

Can you post some pictures of the welding issues so I can compare?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #17

No inspection done on this before purchase ? Things like this don’t just happen overnight. Sounds like lack of proper roof, slide seals, caulking maintenance. And not getting a real qualified person to inspect before purchasing. And most likely your insurance company will not cover leaks from lack of maintenance. They cover leaks like busted water pipes, plumbing leaks ect. Not lack of periododic required upkeep. Just saying.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

By the way, what floor plan do you have?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
Commercial Member

For one....can we alter the title to say "My Used DX3 is Junk?".

Water infiltration and lack of seal maintenance in freeze/thaw environments will wreck anything. That will cause numerous other issues if left unchecked.

I am not saying there aren't things we can/have improved...but be careful what you assume to be the cause. We had an issue with a sidewall crack, was repaired, it cracked again. We brought it back, I personally oversaw the repair and all the reinforcement that went into it. It cracked again, but outside of the repair. When I started asking questions of the dealer, asking what was towed, the dealer said "I told him not to". He told the customer what trailer to buy...an aluminum double stacker, not more than a certain length. He said the customer got a "Deal" on a steel, double stacker, 30'. (exactly what the dealer told him NOT to buy). The guy had never weighed the rig. With golf cart up front, fuel, tool boxes, etc....he had close to 5,000 lbs of tongue weight (and that was after I asked him to get a weight so he had an inkling why) and was taking the rig across banked tracks and ungraded roads. No wonder it kept cracking. I recently heard of another customer with a 5 series. 10k rated hitch, 1k rated tongue weight. He was towing a 17,000 lbs trailer with about 3,000lbs of tongue weight. He just figured the engineers had overbuilt it and under-rated it. He was wrong. He was towing a trailer that was rated almost as high as the GVWR of the vehicle towing it. It was the tail wagging the dog.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #20

DX3 - mine is total junk

What AC units do you have? I have the same problems with leaking AC units, I have no idea why they continue to leak. I also have leaking slides, among many other issues. mine is a year old and has had multiple repair attempts too... and like you I have owned many other RV's/trailers. They all had a few issues, but nowhere near what I am dealing with on my Isata 5. It is very frustrating. I have only used it 3 times as it has spent a fair amount of time at various dealers attempting to correct the issues. Each time I have used it I spend more time trying to figure out possible causes for the problems then just enjoying the trip, just out last week and found water coming in on the bedroom slide again. Checked my level, dead on, checked the slide topper, no pooling water, seals appear good... I did notice the topper covers more on the right side then the left, regardless topper or no topper the slide shouldn't leak. eventually I had to hang a tarp over the whole slide to stop the water... brutal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5518.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	183935Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5521.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	183936
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote