Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #1

Need help identifying strange noise on DX3

We're on the road in our new (to us) 2016 DX3 37BH. Been gone 2 weeks and loving the coach!

When we stopped tonight, we heard what sounds like a pump trying to run - possibly in the wall the shower area. FYI... It's NOT the water pump.

I pulled fuse #17 in the 12V panel and the noise stopped. The fuse is labeled "APO"....or possibly ADO.

Anyone able to help with what is causing the nonstop noise we're hearing?

Thanks, Mike
socalnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

The only thing I have seen in the wall of our shower is the Propane detector/CO detector. I would have to go look at what is in slot 17 of the panel.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

The 12V USB Ports in the bathroom? Anything plugged in there?
Old 07-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Is there a chance your macerator pump was left running in the wet bay? It would be under the bathroom area?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
We're on the road in our new (to us) 2016 DX3 37BH. Been gone 2 weeks and loving the coach!

When we stopped tonight, we heard what sounds like a pump trying to run - possibly in the wall the shower area. FYI... It's NOT the water pump.

I pulled fuse #17 in the 12V panel and the noise stopped. The fuse is labeled "APO"....or possibly ADO.

Anyone able to help with what is causing the nonstop noise we're hearing?

Thanks, Mike
Can you explain how you know for certain its not the water pump? Not doubting you, just want to understand how you definitely ruled it out. Is it that same "BBrrp" sound the water pump makes when it comes on for just an instant? Is this sound short like that or more continuous? I'm wondering if it could be like a water hammer occurring in a pipe in the wall? Some of this plastic piping is sort of loose and flexible. If the water pump is pulsing short bursts of pressure, it could cause the pipe to flex/wiggle a bit which could cause a rattle inside the wall. That could mask the actual water pump sound. Since I have a TS I don't know what else could be inside that wall with your floor plan that could be causing a noise.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #6

Are you sure it’s not the sat dish?
Motorhome1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #7

I double checked and its definitely not the macerator.

Im certain it's not the water pump because i can hear it run when using faucets.

Definitely a different sound from a diff location.

I have left fuse #17 pulled out. Noise is gone and eveything seems to work (eg macerator, water pump, fresh water hose reel, power cord reel, slides, leveling jacks)

I just pushed in rhe fuse and tje noise returns. Best guess is it's coming from the vicinity of the top of the black tank....perhaps below the washer/dryer.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
The 12V USB Ports in the bathroom? Anything plugged in there?
I dont have usb ports in the bathroom....that i know of anyway!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 AM   #9

thanks motorhome1...it was the sat dish. we never use it. one of the kids accidentally turned it on.

clearly, i was way off on pinpointing where the sound was coming from!

thanks for all the help!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #10

Glad you found it. Leaving it on as fooled me a few times trying to identify a noise
Motorhome1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Another problem fixed, glad you were able to find it.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Just goes to show how hard it is to troubleshoot sounds too. You think you know....until you find out you don't.

I know I try to start at the basics...and yes, it seems like I am treating you like a first time owner, but its when I skip the easy stuff...is when it ends up being the easy stuff.

I think the squeaky mirror on the 5 series is a perfect example/

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome1 View Post
Are you sure it’s not the sat dish?
Good call! I never thought of that until you mentioned it. It does make the rrr-rrr noise constantly fine tuning the alignment.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #14

God I love this forum. Had the same sound happening, didn't happen when we first got the rig. Couldn't trace it down so followed this thread. Now I haven't confirmed that the sat is the source (rig is in her home, 20 min away), but now that I think of it, the noise started when I installed DISH and turned the sat on.

Also through this forum found out that the OPT dash switch most likely isn't connected to anything yet. Might have to install some obnoxious chicken lights just so I have something to turn on and off!
HeyHeyJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHeyJP View Post
God I love this forum. Had the same sound happening, didn't happen when we first got the rig. Couldn't trace it down so followed this thread. Now I haven't confirmed that the sat is the source (rig is in her home, 20 min away), but now that I think of it, the noise started when I installed DISH and turned the sat on.

Also through this forum found out that the OPT dash switch most likely isn't connected to anything yet. Might have to install some obnoxious chicken lights just so I have something to turn on and off!
If you have the DX3, that switch is not connected to anything. But it does provide switched 12V. It is in the factory wire loom that stubs out just behind the rear differential. I suspect it was part of the design for the commercial chassis so you could turn on a work light inside a box truck or at the rear of the rig.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 07-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

^^^^

Or maybe Suspension Dump option
Zinkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
If you have the DX3, that switch is not connected to anything. But it does provide switched 12V. It is in the factory wire loom that stubs out just behind the rear differential. I suspect it was part of the design for the commercial chassis so you could turn on a work light inside a box truck or at the rear of the rig.
Randy, any idea what color etc... and what side of the rig that wire is behind the rear axle? Might be nice to have a rear light for hooking up the Jeep or trailer at night, something small. hum.

Tags
noise