Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Needed Gear

With what seems to be a growing trend of first time RV'ers jumping right into a pretty complex motorhomes, I figure someone might already have a list of "things they need to buy" sewer hose, water hose, etc etc.

I know there is a check list for what to do...but what about what to buy. More geared towards motorhomes.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Always Learning

How's this?

Newbie – First Trip Essentials | Learn To RV
Old 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Good start. I'd like to maybe make one Dynamax specific and put it in with the files.

Including things like camp chairs, paper plates, Tervis, toaster, coffee maker. at least # dish towels. etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

This one is pretty good, it adds tools, fluids etc... that you might need as well for the truck portion.

The two items on every list should be:

1. Credit Card
2. Patience

https://www.rv-camping.org/checklist/
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Good start. I'd like to maybe make one Dynamax specific and put it in with the files.

Including things like camp chairs, paper plates, Tervis, toaster, coffee maker. at least # dish towels. etc.
The problem is, the list of "Needed Gear" is different to every person:
- I hate Tervis tumblers with a passion.
- I don't drink coffee.
- I wouldn't be without my toaster, but have friends who fulltime and don't carry one.
- Number of dish towels are specific to the family, laundry availability, and length of trips.

There's also the list of tools that are "needed" and often quoted, but not everyone knows how to use them. Same with spare parts- some folks carry an amazing array of stuff and feel they "need" them; where a lot of other folks don't.

The bare minimum "needs" are minimal. The "should haves" are quite a bit longer. The "wants" (like camp chairs, hand towels, tools, etc.) are endless.

Defining 1 list for everyone is a real chore.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The problem is, the list of "Needed Gear" is different to every person:
-
Defining 1 list for everyone is a real chore.
You're preaching to the choir there...try building an RV that meets everyones specific needs. Doesn't mean they don't expect me to try

Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You're preaching to the choir there...try building an RV that meets everyones specific needs. Doesn't mean they don't expect me to try
Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

A good quality drinking water hose. The one that often comes with new RVs , in a large plastic bucket, has a hose with plastic fittings; sure to get stripped, especially since some parks have pretty worn threads on the faucets. I don't know if the dealer or Dynamax provides that bucket; as I recall, a Camco product. Some of the items in it were very handy and of good quality, . And , if you have room, a garden hose to use to backflush your black tank.

Rugs that will catch the dirt and grit that is sure to get dragged in. Dirt in the bedding or, worse, under the slide, is to be avoided. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Grassworx-Mac...ry+rug+plastic
We usually try to take our shoes off before entering , but if it is raining or buggy, and you want to get inside asap, we stand inside by the entry steps and take them off while on a rug like that. I see Camco has a step cover made out of a similar material; I may get one of them though I am concerned they are too thick.

If hooking up to cable at an RV park is important, get a cable.

Be sure to keep storage space sizes in mind; on the Isata 3 FW, it can be challenging to find space for lounge chairs, camp stove, leveling blocs if you need them, etc. The one large storage area is prime real estate. And speaking of chairs, if your rig is stored off-site, you might want to get ones specifically for your RV since you may want to have some at home also. That will allow you to size them, when folded up, and find the best fit for the storage spaces in our rig,

Best advice I can give: Schedule several short outings close to home before heading off on that trip of a lifetime. Any problems can be discovered and you will begin to get an idea of what you want to bring with.

Happy Camping.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

Compact tool kit from harbor freight
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

Zip ties of various sizes, and Duct tape. Sounds like a joke ,but very handy.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #11

Great topic. Since we fall into that category, I'll chime in with some of the things we've started out with:

• 20' RhinoFlex sewer hose and a sidewinder hose support
  • Separate water hose to leave permanently attached to the black tank flush inlet
  • Decent supply of Happy Campers tank treatment
  • 50', 15A heavy duty extension cord
  • 30', 50A extension cord
  • 50A EMS/surge protector
  • 50A-to-30A and 50A-to-15A adapters
  • Outdoor rug
  • Indoor rug/runner
  • Exhaust vent insulators
  • Bedding, pillows, random blankets, and towels
  • Many, many, many feet of velcro (the soft side) to keep it quiet inside
  • Taller garbage can for the kitchen area, short garbage can for the bathroom, and a collapsible can for outside
  • 12.5' telescopic ladder
Old 05-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

These! [emoji6]Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_125416.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	172400
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
This one is pretty good, it adds tools, fluids etc... that you might need as well for the truck portion.

The two items on every list should be:

1. Credit Card
2. Patience

https://www.rv-camping.org/checklist/

Without doubt the first two things to pack. And then pack a measure of "don't panic" we'll be fine. We can camp right here until the tow truck arrives.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #14

I always carry def fluid. I also recommend bring what you use. Downsizing storage capacity from solera to isata 3 w, there was lots of stuff I put in that I never used once.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #15

Heh let me get back to you. This may take a bit.

I will say #1 thing to include for winter camping - heat gun. Used that thing a dozen times at least on our trip in feb. was a life saver
Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #16

Interesting topic. This is my first RV but not my first camper. Mookieblaylock listed a surge protector but I wonder if that is necessary/recommended always, like the water pressure regulator. I'd like to see the list more toward "you really need this" rather than items like chairs, towels and toasters etc. I think the list should educate the new RV owner. If I really need an in-line filter, surge protector, water pressure regulator, hydraulic jack, road flares, etc, I'd like some guidance. I won't forget my coffee maker or toaster.....
2018 Dynamax REV 24 TB Sold 2/2021
porsche84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #17

I could never get clear guidance as to whether the transfer switch on our coach was a true EMS or not. Seemed like the most common answer was that a portable EMS/surge suppressor was a ‘better safe than sorry’ recommendation.

I forgot to add water pressure regulator to my list above...good call.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #18

Wine! With enough you won’t miss the rest...
Greg-Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #19

I use an external surge protector and a pressure regulator, also have two water filters. Why chance it
Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #20

The minimum depends on how and where you plan to camp, campground with full hookup is quite different than primitive with no services. My minimum for a campground is 25ft freshwater hose, 20ft sewage hose, 20ft power extension, water pressure regulator and at least a sediment filter. The inline water filter from Walmart is fine. I recommend a surge protector but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Of course if you are only boondocking the only time you will need any of the above is when you are filling your fresh water tank and emptying your black and gray tank. You should also have pads to put under the stabilizer to prevent damage from sinking into the pavement or ground. As for the inside, only you know what you need. Carry the pots, pans and dishes for your lifestyle and eating habits. You will learn very quickly what you can’t live without. Wal-Mart will soon be your friend. As for tools, depends on how handy you are. A couple of screwdrivers and a crescent wrench may be enough. I don’t plan to change a tire myself so I have roadside service. The downside to that is you may have to wait a while for services. I carry a couple of 1/4 by 1 inch bolts because I have a habit of raising the front legs to high a snapping the shear bolts but other than that I buy parts as I need them. Storage space is too precious to waste on what If’s.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote