Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

New 2015 DX3 37BH owner with questions

We just purchased a used 2015 DX3. The unit has low miles and is in great condition. We knew the overhang could be an issue but the unit dragged just going in my driveway off our crowned country road. Please offer advise. The two options I have seen is the 3" air bag lift and casters. I found a company call source engineering who sells the lift kit. How far off the ground should I have the casters installed? Want to get both things done so we can start enjoying to new coach. I think it will be as good as the 1999 Renegade that we traded in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	172381  

hines5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
western NC mountains!

with any overhang, which applies to most any motorhome, you take turns at as much of an angle as you can, whether coming in or going out...this gives the chassis the maximum opportunity to miss the hitch drag, but honestly, sometimes it's just not possible.

as for 'rollers'... I want to add my two cents. You might not realize that anything that you 'add' to the end of the chassis, or 'below' the level of the hitch, is going to touch FIRST, and it's going to make contact even BEFORE the hitch or rear would have on it's own. Rollers would have to then carry the load of the rear of the coach in order to actually do you any favors, and I find that almost impossible. The rollers will touch, might initially 'roll', but as the weight is applies during the dip, they will actually 'scrub' and wear themselves down to a flat spot, if not actually break away from the mount itself. I don't see the benefit, as I believe it could actually cause more problems, and MORE times with contact with the ground, than otherwise.

Your hitch/receiver is pretty beefy and already well designed to handle any 'scrubbing' that might occur.

just my two cents : )

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

Instead of rollers you could have skid skis added. They would need to be properly engineered and solidly mounted to the frame. The larger the surface area will allow them to last longer. They can handle the load, and the weight would be spread across larger surface area. Not only does the front of the skis need to be rounded the rear of the skis would need to be rounded also. Remember no drilling into the frame rail without approval from manufacturer, they may have specific areas to mount. My opinion they would last and be better. My brother had casters on a 40 ft Imperial and they wore out fast and even were knocked off.
Not to change the subject...but...Seeing you have the exact paint and scheme as mine, can you take a picture of the paint codes and post it here? I donít have all the paint codes on my door decal. Thanks- Greg
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

yes I will
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

paint code

here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output (29).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	172419  
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #6

Thank you! Greatly appreciate your help with the codes.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Tulsa Manufacturing in Tulsa Oklahoma can install a lift kit...they also do 4X4 for Dynamax's...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
jkoenig24

My 2015 DX3 is the 37-RB model. The knucklehead who designed it failed to "bevel" the last few feet of the sides. Newer models have that "bevel" and therefore, have several inches MORE of ground clearance; especially when the front wheels climb over a curb/bump/etc. The greatest risk is that you'll drag the tail cap causing damage and possibly even popping said tail cap loose (resulting in a very expensive repair).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

I use rollers that I purchased through camping world on my Ď14 DX3. After having $7500 damage to my rear cap i am very happy with the performance of the rollers.
From the photo you posted it appears that your rear compartments are squared off like mine. During the Ď15 model year and later Dynamax changed the rear compartments to a tapered shape which raised the rear cap bottom.
Solutions for the later models will not work on the older models.

At times my rollers carry most of the weight and they roll, not flatten out. Iíve had them now for about 7 months. They hit every time I pull in my driveway and I can hear them.....itís a good sound...canít hear a rear cap tearing off.
I didnít consider a lift kit practical because you canít always tell when it will drag. You would need to be able to control it from the cab or stop on the highway just before the change in grade to go to the back and raise the rear end with the air bags.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #10

dlfishing
How high are your casters? I found a posted that listed some 5 " tall ones that carry 20,000 each. I want to pull my 32 foot race car trailer a few times a year with no issues.