Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

New Colorado Chain Law

The chain law in Colorado changed effective Sept 1st this year.

It used to be that only commercial vehicles were required to have chains on board Sept 1 through May 1, even if it was a warm, sunny day. The law has now changed to include any 2WD vehicle, commercial or private, must have either traction assist devices (chains or socks) on board or snow tires (not all weather M&S). This applies to I-70 basically from Denver West to Dotsero (where you are out of the mountains).

State Patrol claims they will be setting up check points to verify compliance. I doubt your odds of hitting a check point are very good but be advised. I went ahead and bought a set of low clearance cable chains for the DX3 just to be safe, they were only $125 including spider bungees.

For those of you coming to the Moab rally in a few weeks, if you are coming from the East and going West on I-70, you may want to consider picking something up. Though it is not frequent, it is possible to hit snow going over Vail Pass in September. Safe travels!

I really wish there was a way to open up the rear wheel wells on the DX3 just a bit, to be sure a loose chain wasn't going to tear the wheel well trim off.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Glad I threw mine in the trailer when I was back in wisc! Only prob is I'd have to unload the jeep to get to them at a checkpoint lol.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

I have a set of chains I keep in my DX3. If I have to use them I am going to air up the rear bags that will give me extra clearance for the chains.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

A check point to confirm you have chains stored in a 2wd vehicle?
Long lines could develop as drivers unpack contents all over the side of the road.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post

It used to be that only commercial vehicles were required to have chains on board Sept 1 through May 1, even if it was a warm, sunny day. The law has now changed to include any 2WD vehicle, commercial or private, must have either traction assist devices (chains or socks) on board or snow tires (not all weather M&S). This applies to I-70 basically from Denver West to Dotsero (where you are out of the mountains).

State Patrol claims they will be setting up check points to verify compliance. I doubt your odds of hitting a check point are very good but be advised. I went ahead and bought a set of low clearance cable chains for the DX3 just to be safe, they were only $125 including spider bungees.

For those of you coming to the Moab rally in a few weeks, if you are coming from the East and going West on I-70, you may want to consider picking something up. Though it is not frequent, it is possible to hit snow going over Vail Pass in September. Safe travels!

I really wish there was a way to open up the rear wheel wells on the DX3 just a bit, to be sure a loose chain wasn't going to tear the wheel well trim off.
Do you mind sharing the specific pair you ordered?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Long lines could develop as drivers unpack contents all over the side of the road.
NOTHING compared to the line forming while FOURWHL unpacks his rig...I don't think there is enough roadway to set the paper towels and toilet paper while they get to the "inner workings".

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Well, that is what CSP is saying. When I was a LEO, if we did checks like this, you didn't stop all traffic. You just randomly flagged people out of traffic into an inspection lane. Will they really do it and how often remains to be seen. But, the fines are significant enough that 1 ticket would be more than what the set of chains cost you. And, you don't have to have chains if you have real snow tires. Plus, if it does snow and you can't get up a steep grade, the fines are quite large.

Problem is I'm not going to put a set of winter only snow tire duals on the rear of the DX3, so chains seem to be the only real option. And if a rig is going to get randomly flagged into an inspection lane, I know it will be me. Big truck, towing a car trailer, etc. And, if it does snow and get slick, putting the cable chains on are probably a good idea anyway.

All of this is primarily focused on the skiers who drive I-70 every weekend in ski season. Lots of them are totally unprepared to drive in the weather conditions you frequently experience. There are tons of accidents and it can take hours to cover a distance that should only take 30 minutes even in inclement weather.

Oh, and if you have 4WD or AWD you don't have to have chains but you do have to have tires that are at least "all season" rated and must have a minimum of 3/16 inch tread depth.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #8

Glad my Isata 5 is 4-Wheel Drive!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Ohio View Post
Glad my Isata 5 is 4-Wheel Drive!
Ooooh. Now THERE is a good sales pitch for a 4x4 RV.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
Do you mind sharing the specific pair you ordered?
I went to Tirechains.com and ordered the 2316 cable chains with cams for $94.59 and a pair of spider bungees for $15. I could probably find these locally in the Denver area but as usual I am out of town for work.

These cable chains are a compromise i.e. they aren't real good if you are in snow deeper than 2", cant exceed 30 mph, they will wear out sooner than regular chains, etc. But they would definitely help on snow packed or icy surfaces for very occasional use, which is what you experience on I-70. Plus they seem like the lowest profile option that would have the best chance of not damaging the wheel wells on the rig. The cable chains without the adjusting cams may provide even more clearance, but in my experience loose chains are what cause the damage most of the time.

The cloth traction socks are legal in Colorado and they for sure are the safest choice for avoiding vehicle damage. They meet the legal requirement if you get checked but the review on their performance is mixed. They are basically use them one time then throw them away devices and the traction enhancement is minimal.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:

It used to be that only commercial vehicles were required to have chains on board Sept 1 through May 1.
September 1? I thought when I went through there a couple of years ago, it was October 1?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #12

Good post RV Randy. Here's a link for the requirements in all the states.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
September 1? I thought when I went through there a couple of years ago, it was October 1?
Could be, but the new law went into effect Sept 1st and requires you to be equipped with either snow tires or chains Sept 1 through May 31, so a full 9 months. Its House Bill 1207 if you want to Google it and get the precise language.

The requirement to either have chains in the vehicle or snow tires on the vehicle (even if its sunny and dry) only applies to I-70 from the Morrison exit near Denver to Dotsero, which is just past Glenwood Springs. This is about a 200 mile long section where the steep grades begin and then end. For every other road in Colorado, there is no mandatory requirement to have chains actually in your vehicle. But, if they declare the chain law is in effect on any of those other roads (not uncommon in winter) then you have to have chains on or its illegal to continue driving.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 09-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Good post RV Randy. Here's a link for the requirements in all the states.
Not seeing a link........

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
NOTHING compared to the line forming while FOURWHL unpacks his rig...I don't think there is enough roadway to set the paper towels and toilet paper while they get to the "inner workings".
He's not wrong [emoji23][emoji24][emoji848]
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Could be, but the new law went into effect Sept 1st and requires you to be equipped with either snow tires or chains Sept 1 through May 31, so a full 9 months. Its House Bill 1207 if you want to Google it and get the precise language.

The requirement to either have chains in the vehicle or snow tires on the vehicle (even if its sunny and dry) only applies to I-70 from the Morrison exit near Denver to Dotsero, which is just past Glenwood Springs. This is about a 200 mile long section where the steep grades begin and then end. For every other road in Colorado, there is no mandatory requirement to have chains actually in your vehicle. But, if they declare the chain law is in effect on any of those other roads (not uncommon in winter) then you have to have chains on or its illegal to continue driving.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #17

Get and use the chains as needed.

CSP doesn't need to do random checks. Snow is forecast in the passes tonight. If you're stuck and/or holding up traffic, you're toast. You'll stand out like a sore thumb, and the CSP will be all too happy to ticket your sorry ass and tow your rig the hell out of the way. That's a big-ticket tow. And if you're trying to slip thru unnoticed, the lack of tire chains is not something you can disguise with careful driving. The assumption is that you DON'T have snows on your big-truck duals, and they'll be quick to pull you over to check if your rig so much as twitches.

When it snows tonight, the roads will be like grease, because the ground is warm. It will stay that way for a while, because it's going up to 90 degrees in Denver this weekend.

I for one am sick to death of dodging jackasses trying to drive in bad weather with crappy tires or no chains. Last year, a guy driving a beater 4WD pickup with bald tires was crawling sideways across two lanes of 285 at Richmond Hill (only 9000 feet) and bollixed up everything for everyone. All 4 crap tires spinning. And, of course, that brings out the lunatic fringe in some who then attempt to pass in the lanes for oncoming traffic. Please chain up.

Thanks to the OP for this important notice. Winter is here in CO above 11,000 feet! This morning at 8300 feet, it was in the high 30's. And the Eisenhower Tunnel is a crappy place to find out you ain't ready. It's really easy to die up there.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #18
Global Nomad

Quote:

Oh, and if you have 4WD or AWD you don't have to have chains but you do have to have tires that are at least "all season" rated and must have a minimum of 3/16 inch tread depth.
Thank you for that last bit of information. I have no intention of buying chains.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #19

https://lacledechain.com/wp-content/...Chain-Laws.pdf
Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:

So you are saying that ALL Vehicles now must carry Chains or traction devices.I hope they have a Huge Parking lot to park all of the cars and PU trucks that come thru there on a daily basis.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
Closed Thread