Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

New DX3 Owner, New Dynamax Forum Member

Hello All,

As a new Dynamax owner and new to the Dynamax Forum, I would like to introduce myself.

Some years ago, my wife and I retired to Oregon and acquired a new 2012 24-foot Lazy Daze Class C on a Ford E-450 chassis. We used it to tour the West without a tow. The plan was to use the motorhome two or three weeks per month, and sell it after three years. Along the way, we learned of a whole new lifestyle.

For longer stays and more comfortable use of a motorhome, we decided a separate bedroom, more storage, a few more amenities, and a tow might better meet our needs.

In the interest of safety, drivability, and durability, we concluded that the Freightliner M2 chassis with Cummins engine and Allison transmission might best meet our needs. We would rather have load carrying and towing capacity to spare rather than be at or exceeding chassis design limits. If it were not for a Dynamax Sales Manager, we might not have settled on Dynamax.

On December 7, 2015, we took possession of a 2016 DX 35 DS.

A few weeks of use and a few thousand miles later, I can report the DX3 drives well, is comfortable, and has some very nice features. More
experience will be required before I can offer a complete report.
Best regards,

Gerard
2016 Dynamax DX3
2012 Lazy Daze 24-foot FD
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Keep us posted, we have been looking at the Dynamax and trying to decide on this or a DP.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Welcome to the family. If you ever need anything...we're here to help.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Welcome neighbor, maybe we can form a DX3 rally in the future......Bob
dmax36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #5

Welcome aboard BackPacker.

Mike
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Let me add my welcome, I'm a newbe as well, lots to learn...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
jkoenig24

Welcome, Gerard! The Freightliner / Cummins combo does drive VERY well. More power and true tow capacity than you're ever likely to need. That gives you a huge safety factor. I have a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB with about 16,000 miles on it. I really like having that 9 liter Cummins diesel up front. In addition to the safety factor, engine maintenance is MUCH easier.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Welcome aboard Slim. You say you are a newbie, but you write and describe things and provide analysis like you have some time-in-service with MHs. I had a 2014 Solera, but I sold it. Ordered a 2016 Force HD 36 at Hershey, and waiting to pick it up end of the month. I look forward to communicating with owners and Clemens as i learn that rig.

Mike
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #9

All, thank you for the welcome.

Neighbor Bob, a rally of DX3 owners of the Pacific Northwest is a great idea. I would suggest broadening it to Dynamax owners to open it to a greater population and because of the commonality of interests. In any event, you have my support.

jkoenig24, that's why I bought a DX3. Recently, I was given another reason to be glad I own a Dynamax. I attended a lecture on motorhome fire safety at the FMCA Western Area Rally, Indio, CA. The instructor cited four major causes of fire in motorhomes. They are:
  • Diesel pusher engine compartment.
  • Dashboard in a diesel pusher from chafing of the insulation on wiring, subsequent electrical short, and fire.
  • Front right tire blowout which rips the diesel fill hose on diesel pushers. Fuel might then flow along the undercarriage and ignite.
  • Propane-fueled refrigerators.
You will notice, of all the major causes of fire in a motorhome, none apply to Dynamax, unless the optional propane refrigerator was chosen.

From 2009 to 2013, an average of 5,540 fires a year involved motorhomes and other recreational vehicles, according to estimates provided by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). On average, those fires killed 36 people and injured 135 annually. See http://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/2016/january/3990-rv-fire-protection.html

Mike, we started with a Force. The larger engine of the Force HD seemed to me to be worth the added cost. It would have been my choice. My copilot had her own thoughts on the subject.

Gerard
2016 Dynamax DX3
Old 02-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Very interesting perspective. We have been making a push to market the benefits of Class C's over Class A's. At the Tampa show this year I heard lots of people talking about the safety of Class C's, many of which were things we were adding to the brochures. We had lots of activity in our display.

While I would love to think our marketing was making that type of impact...I knew there had to be something else out there creating this buzz. I'm glad to have read this post and confirm my thoughts. FMCA is a large, influential group, and I'm glad we agree on this topic.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

I know all too well about motorhome fires... in 2012 my 1999 Blue Bird Wanderlodge as shown was destroyed by a refrigerator fire. I was in it asleep when it occurred. This is one of the major reasons manufactures are moving toward residential style refrigerators..

Just because you have all the recalls done "Norcold" don't mean its safe. I can attest to that.. make sure your smoke detectors are in good working order no matter what!

if this had been a fiberglass motorhome I may not have made it out in time. Great info Gerard many thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00253.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	99057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00255.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	99058  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Wow. Scary.

Our Dynaquest XL is all electric. No propane tank even on board. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more that way.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Wow. Scary.

Our Dynaquest XL is all electric. No propane tank even on board. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more that way.
this was running on electric when it caught fire.. it gets really technical
Old 02-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #14

Slim,

Mac, The Fire Guy, who gave the lecture at the FMCA Rally on fire safety, sells a temperature activated fire extinguisher containing Halon for placement in the Norcold refrigerator. At 155 F, the extinguisher will discharge inert gas and for sufficient time to extinguish the fire and prevent the refrigerator from reigniting for the two tries before it shuts down and displays a fault, according to Mac. Halon is highly effective as a fire suppressant and has the advantage that it will not damage electronic equipment. Personally, I would prefer something less toxic, more environmentally friendly, and less expensive than his Halon extinguisher. I am searching.
I expect to double the number of smoke, CO, and propane alarms, add two or three more and larger fire extinguishers and some equipment to facilitate a quick and safe exit through the rear window. What is scary is the thought of being trapped in a fire at night in the rear bedroom.

Before we purchased the DX3, we attended a FMCA rally and parked in the dry camping area occupied mostly be Class As. Every evening, they would start their generators. We found the exhaust from all the motornomes irritating and preferred quiet to the noisy generators.

Our Lazy Daze has a propane-fueled refrigerator, cook top, oven, hot water heater, and space heater. Electrical energy use was minimal and 12 volts, unless connected to shore power or the generator was on. We had a solar panel on the roof. I rarely used the generator, except to exercise it.

The move to a Class A or Super Class C would move us from what was basically a 12-volt electrical system to a system that is predominantly 120-volts or, at least, that is the way I viewed it.

Gerard
2016 Dynamax DX3

Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

Gerard,

During my unsuccessful quest to find another Blue Bird that suited us, I had two trailers, one a Forest River Aviator Wright Flyer that has since been discontinued, and a Voltage Toy Hauler. Both of thoses units had a propane refrigerator. I installed this Halon system in both as an added safety measure.

Hope you dont mind the pictures.. these really do the job especially in close quarters. My DX3 has a HUGE refrigerator.. no joke.. bigger than my house unit! But its not propane. Of course anything can catch .. I pray not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160208_180309.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	99211  
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
Big Max

Wink New DX3

Well we are picking up our new DX3 on Friday, 2/19. Looking forward to it. Kicked a lot of tires at the Tampa Show and one of these appealed to us. Planning on giving it a test, after pick up we go to Suwanee River State Park for a week to shake it down.
DKBigMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBigMax View Post
Well we are picking up our new DX3 on Friday, 2/19. Looking forward to it. Kicked a lot of tires at the Tampa Show and one of these appealed to us. Planning on giving it a test, after pick up we go to Suwanee River State Park for a week to shake it down.
WARNING WARNING

Your gonna love it!
And by the way welcome, keep us posted...
Old 02-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #18

Welcome. It is nice to have more Dynamax owners in the site.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 02-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #19
Big Max

Thanks, a few more hours and wake up and we are on our way
DKBigMax is offline   Reply With Quote