Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

I know all too well about motorhome fires... in 2012 my 1999 Blue Bird Wanderlodge as shown was destroyed by a refrigerator fire. I was in it asleep when it occurred. This is one of the major reasons manufactures are moving toward residential style refrigerators..

Just because you have all the recalls done "Norcold" don't mean its safe. I can attest to that.. make sure your smoke detectors are in good working order no matter what!

if this had been a fiberglass motorhome I may not have made it out in time. Great info Gerard many thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00253.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	99057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00255.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	99058  

Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
GM

Wow. Scary.

Our Dynaquest XL is all electric. No propane tank even on board. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more that way.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Wow. Scary.

Our Dynaquest XL is all electric. No propane tank even on board. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more that way.
this was running on electric when it caught fire.. it gets really technical
Old 02-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #14

Slim,

Mac, The Fire Guy, who gave the lecture at the FMCA Rally on fire safety, sells a temperature activated fire extinguisher containing Halon for placement in the Norcold refrigerator. At 155 F, the extinguisher will discharge inert gas and for sufficient time to extinguish the fire and prevent the refrigerator from reigniting for the two tries before it shuts down and displays a fault, according to Mac. Halon is highly effective as a fire suppressant and has the advantage that it will not damage electronic equipment. Personally, I would prefer something less toxic, more environmentally friendly, and less expensive than his Halon extinguisher. I am searching.
I expect to double the number of smoke, CO, and propane alarms, add two or three more and larger fire extinguishers and some equipment to facilitate a quick and safe exit through the rear window. What is scary is the thought of being trapped in a fire at night in the rear bedroom.

Before we purchased the DX3, we attended a FMCA rally and parked in the dry camping area occupied mostly be Class As. Every evening, they would start their generators. We found the exhaust from all the motornomes irritating and preferred quiet to the noisy generators.

Our Lazy Daze has a propane-fueled refrigerator, cook top, oven, hot water heater, and space heater. Electrical energy use was minimal and 12 volts, unless connected to shore power or the generator was on. We had a solar panel on the roof. I rarely used the generator, except to exercise it.

The move to a Class A or Super Class C would move us from what was basically a 12-volt electrical system to a system that is predominantly 120-volts or, at least, that is the way I viewed it.

Gerard
2016 Dynamax DX3
2012 Lazy Daze 24-foot FD

Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

Gerard,

During my unsuccessful quest to find another Blue Bird that suited us, I had two trailers, one a Forest River Aviator Wright Flyer that has since been discontinued, and a Voltage Toy Hauler. Both of thoses units had a propane refrigerator. I installed this Halon system in both as an added safety measure.

Hope you dont mind the pictures.. these really do the job especially in close quarters. My DX3 has a HUGE refrigerator.. no joke.. bigger than my house unit! But its not propane. Of course anything can catch .. I pray not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160208_180309.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	99211  
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
Big Max

Wink New DX3

Well we are picking up our new DX3 on Friday, 2/19. Looking forward to it. Kicked a lot of tires at the Tampa Show and one of these appealed to us. Planning on giving it a test, after pick up we go to Suwanee River State Park for a week to shake it down.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBigMax View Post
Well we are picking up our new DX3 on Friday, 2/19. Looking forward to it. Kicked a lot of tires at the Tampa Show and one of these appealed to us. Planning on giving it a test, after pick up we go to Suwanee River State Park for a week to shake it down.
WARNING WARNING

Your gonna love it!
And by the way welcome, keep us posted...
Old 02-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #18

Welcome. It is nice to have more Dynamax owners in the site.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 02-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #19
Big Max

Thanks, a few more hours and wake up and we are on our way