Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
That's the way the new Jake brakes sound because they are muffled due to all the municipal sound ordnances regarding Jake brakes. I figure it wont be long before one of us figures out how to get a little more sound out of it.
Well that is good news. But how does the switch work? is High at the top and low all the way down? I am guessing the middle is off?

The dealer said to leave it in high all the time, I figure why have a two stage brake if I only use one? LOL
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Well that is good news. But how does the switch work? is High at the top and low all the way down? I am guessing the middle is off?

The dealer said to leave it in high all the time, I figure why have a two stage brake if I only use one? LOL
Yep, high (all 6 cylinders) on top, low (only 3 cylinders) on bottom, off in the middle. It lights up the same in either "on" position.

Bad advice to leave it in high all of the time. High is fine if the road is dry and no traction issues. If it rains its better to go to low and slow down a bit. If it is even a little bit slippery and the Jake engages in high, it can make the rear wheels lose traction. If that happens, its like yanking the emergency brake in a car, it makes the rear end want to come around.

And, its best to always get into the habit of shutting the Jake off when you stop the engine for the night or park for extended periods. It can get gummed up eventually if you let the oil in it get cold and sit. If it you shut it off warm it drains out, then let the engine reach operating temp before you turn it back on.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Yep, high (all 6 cylinders) on top, low (only 3 cylinders) on bottom, off in the middle. It lights up the same in either "on" position.

Bad advice to leave it in high all of the time. High is fine if the road is dry and no traction issues. If it rains its better to go to low and slow down a bit. If it is even a little bit slippery and the Jake engages in high, it can make the rear wheels lose traction. If that happens, its like yanking the emergency brake in a car, it makes the rear end want to come around.

And, its best to always get into the habit of shutting the Jake off when you stop the engine for the night or park for extended periods. It can get gummed up eventually if you let the oil in it get cold and sit. If it you shut it off warm it drains out, then let the engine reach operating temp before you turn it back on.
Great, thanks Randy. Good advice and now I dont have to worry about taking it to the dealer with only 400 miles on it.

Now tomorrow, out to do some checking around and starting some mods. I have two months to complete my projects.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #24

Congradulations!
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #25

Ditto on all that info Randy posted RE the jake brake.

I’ve been running a 6.7 for years with the basic exhaust brake, and I expected the true engine brake to sound like the 600 HP Peterbilts. I wasn’t prepared for the muffled sound of this rig. It’s normal, though.

She looks great! I’d love to have a set of those black wheels.
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #26

Lastly, I am probably going to remove the drivers/passenger seat swivel. We are not the tallest people, with the added thickness of the swivels (almost 3") we could not air up the seat without looking right at the headliner.

I think if I drop the swivels I can air up for a comfortable ride at a proper height.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #27
Commercial Member

I have debated dropping the driver swivel. It does add about 4" to the stack. Passenger side is no big deal, driver side can hit the steering wheel.

I'm not so sure that's the story on the recliners. Feel around the arm rests and see if there are holes cut in the lower support and not the fabric. You did get the recliners right? Not the kick up leg sofa (legs kick up, does not recline, no center console).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #28

There is a void below the fabric. And we have the recliners with the big center console, just no tables.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #29
Commercial Member

They won't send the tables without the grommets and likely, the guys at performance have never seen the recliners without the big TV so they assumed this was normal. We'll have to get you a couple of tables and the metal grommets.They were back ordered and the supplier never said anything to us until I had asked why some were missing. We get the furniture with those installed, so our guys never questioned it either. Just assumed that's the way they came now.

The best laid plans....

Old 02-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #30

Something I can install?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Hope so. I asked for instructions with the grommets.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #32

I only use high on the Jake brake descending in the Rockies. Low everywhere else is plenty
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #33

Also congrats! Rig looks awesome
Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well that is great service, thanks Brian. Saturday night at 10:00 and you are taking care of this stuff.

I appreciate it. Thanks for building such a great rig, I already found your signature in a few places.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #35

Halla, Your Rig looks AWESOME! I love the blacked out wheels. It flow nicely. Can't wait to see it in person in June! Enjoy the mods, there part of the fun.
JRM63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #36

Looks great Halla. I bet you're stoked and can't wait to start those mods. Looking forward to getting some ideas when we're all together. Congrats!
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #37

Enjoy
Looks sharp !
kentuckianjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #38

Congratulations on the new ride! It looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Lastly, I am probably going to remove the drivers/passenger seat swivel. We are not the tallest people, with the added thickness of the swivels (almost 3") we could not air up the seat without looking right at the headliner.

I think if I drop the swivels I can air up for a comfortable ride at a proper height.
I'm right there with you on this one. The problem is....I really like the swivel now, after using it on a lot of outings. I'm basically not using the air ride though...otherwise my legs dangle like a small kid in a big chair. I was thinking I might be able to limit the upper range on the air ride mechanism - I'm going to look into it this week and see.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #39

Great looking rig! Congrats.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Can you post those instructions when you get them? We have the "kick up leg sofa" and it came with the tables - they worked fine at first, but now both grommets are so loose they won't hold the tables up.

It'd be nice to get an idea of what kind of fastener is under there before I go after it.
Last thread jack post, I promise.

Tags
pdi