Old 10-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #131
GM

Whenever I buy something new, I'm tempted to put a door ding in myself just so I don't curse the world when it happens from someone else...who of course "looks around" and walks away quickly.

So look on the bright side...you're just messing up your stuff before someone else does.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #132

Pretty much. I just keep telling myself I bought it to use it not to look at, and it's not going to stay new forever.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #133

Nothing wrong with you, but why not own an adventure rig that is designed from the ground up for off-roading and dry camping?

EarthRoamer XV-HD (Ford F-750 based) Xpedition Vehicle. With the XV-HD, EarthRoamer takes the luxury off-grid concept to new heights. Featuring massive solar arrays, a huge battery bank, 46” military tires, 200 gallons of fresh water, washer/dryer, and so much more all on a four wheel drive F-750 chassis, the HD is the ultimate adventure rig.

“The HD is our most innovative product yet,” says Tyler Tatro, President and COO of EarthRoamer. “It will utilize state-of-the-art construction and systems to bring comfort and functionality to the next level.” Production began on the first XV-HD in early 2016.

Alternates would be a Tiger Adventure or a Global Warrior, etc.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #134

Oh believe me I looked hard at earth roamer and the likes. I love the idea, but in the end there's usually a spot to park a "street" unit nearby whatever trouble I'm looking to get into. Not sure I need anything encouraging me to take any more risks than I already do.

After having it for most of the year and putting 10,500 mi on it I can say that looking back I'd probably have trouble giving up the extra room that would be required to shorten up and truly make a rig somewhat capable. 4wd is great for a muddy road or snow I guess, but you've got to really shorten up if you want to get through some of the tighter stuff that would warrant it I think. For me having a bigger place to come back to is reinforcing we made the right decision.

Though I still cant get over how cool the M2 looks with offroad tires
Old 10-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #135
GM

I think he just needs to be prepared for a little off roading...not the zombie apocalypse.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #136

I think something along these lines is more my speed

OK I'll stop de-railing the thread any more than I already have lol
Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Promaster chassis
Canadian Promaster chassis
Mercedes Sprinter
Canadian Mercedes Sprinter
Ford E450
Ram 5500 4x2
Ram 5500 4x4
Freightliner M2 106 28K
Freightliner M2 106 33k
Freightliner M2 112 33k

And now we may add a Canadian 5500...I think I'll just pick one. And just about all of these, we have to guess quantities 4-6 months out.

If you received an order for a Canadian 4x4 Isata 5..
would you build it?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #138
Wanderer

Can switching to Lithium batteries save weight?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #139
GM

Lithium could save weight, but in light of the Samsung issue, the industry is taking a "wait and see" approach for the most part in regards to Li-ion.

I couldn't take an order on any Canadian 5 Series, until I can get a confirmed supply.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #140

Brian,

I happened to drive by Lazy days in Longmont Colorado yesterday and they had a new Isata 5 on the lot. This unit was not 4x4 but did have the option of two solar panels and the additional two batteries. Outfitting like I might consider without the 4x4 added weight.

I found the yellow weight sticker which is attached (I hope) and the OCCC of this unit as it left the manufacture said not to exceed 830lbs (not 1830lbs) and it said a full load of water would weigh 788 lbs and trailer tongue weight counts as cargo. Indicated seat belts for 6 people.

Vin 3C7WRMDLXGG156437

Given all that it just strikes me that only 830 lbs would not even be enough for me, my wife, my dog (big dog) and hitching my trailer. Let alone bringing additional people, food, water etc..

Could that 830 lbs be a error or if I were to order one is that going to be the number? I have see in the emails numbers like 1500-1800lbs but 830 is far off that number which was tight to begin with and I'd hate to option out with weight in mind and then find when it comes off the line it is sub 1000lbs OCCC

Not complaining on the forum more just wanting to verify so I know if I need to look at alternative units.

As a quick comparison (not apples to apples) a New Holiday Rambler Class A Diesel next to the Isata 5 at Lazy Days had a 5,195 OCCC.

Sticker (list) on the Isata 5 was $179K and the Class A was on sale for $169K (sticker $239K, big discount). I have a glass A Gas 36' and was looking to go Super C for the smaller driving position for my wife to drive but would need OCCC capacity higher.

May have to look harder at the DX3 on a lot somewhere and verify OCCC and selling price on those instead of the Isata 5

If a owner of the new Isata 5 4x4 sees this could thread you share the OCCC on your unit for comparison.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamaxx Isata 5.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	124517  

Tags
class c, diesel