Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #41

I am "late" with the advice if you are now waiting arraignment for following Mountiemans adviceBut if you are still looking for a water pump and are at all handy with tools, The Cummins is likely the easiest water pump replacement there is. It is easy to see the mounting bolts and there are only 2. It could be done with new belt in place and fresh coolant topped off in 30-45 mins. I hope its repaired and you are back on the road.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #42

Update, nightmare over!!

First of all I want to thank everyone for their kind words of support and even some offers of assistance. This is quite a special community and I am happy to be a part of it.

The service manager showed up at 730 this am, I walked out of the coach and he knew exactly who we were and told me he was really backed up due to the holiday and wasn't sure he could get us done today. Well, I started literally begging and pleading and even squeezed out a tear. He said he would try to shuffle some things around but that because it was a warranty job it had to be a certified tech that did the job but he would do his best.

As for the water pump. He said if our pump had been under recall (which it is not) he would not have been able to replace it as corporate is insisting on a particular pump for the recall replacements and he didn't have any. But, since ours was not the one under recall he had a pump for us. Whew!!

He was able to shuffle some stuff and was able to replace our water pump and serpentine belt (which we supplied, he did not have one in stock) and we were out of there by 11am!

Lessons learned: Always carry an extra water pump and serpentine belt, as well as extra fuel filters. Oh, and never assume you're gonna make it to a water source and keep some water in the tank at all times!

Now, on to our vacation!!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #43

That's great news Linda! Hopefully the rest of the trip will be trouble free!!!
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #44

Good to hear! Sounds like the service manager at the dealer was very accommodating and/or you're a very good negotiator. LOL. Glad you're all fixed and back on the road. Two days ago you thought you might be sitting in that lot until Saturday. Not too bad after all. Safe travels!
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Had my '14 6.7 at the dealer today for routine stuff and two recalls, One was for the water pump and the other for the transmission lock (that was only software). They inspected the water pump and said it was OK, but it is the old style and must be replaced. Replacement water pumps are only supplied against the VIN and RAM must send the replacement pump to the dealer against my VIN. The new pumps are in short supply.
My Isata 5 goes in for the T51 & T79 recall on Monday. The wife has been on me for the past 6 weeks to get the recalls taken care of.

I tried to explain to her that they usually only generate a recall if 5-10% of the parts are bad and we have a 90-95% chance that our's is not affected by the recall. But as usual, logic doesn't help so off it goes on Monday. Better to get it done that being reminded of it every time I get behind the wheel
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Good to hear! Sounds like the service manager at the dealer was very accommodating and/or you're a very good negotiator. LOL. Glad you're all fixed and back on the road. Two days ago you thought you might be sitting in that lot until Saturday. Not too bad after all. Safe travels!
He seen the look in her eyes and the stress level she had and knew he either needed to adjust his schedule or take a butt whipping. He chose to adjust the schedule adjustment.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #47

I always carry a full tank of water plus 4-5 gallons in jugs. You just never know . . . .

I once carried a spare water pump for 15 years. Everyone though 'good things' of me . . . until I needed it and it had become a scarce part.

Tough problems solved creatively become good stories for the rest of your life.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #48

Good to hear you are on the road.

If you are up this way I have room to park and we can visit.

Have an uneventful vacation from here on out!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #49
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

While it is nice to have a spare water pump for the engine if you need it...

In reality, if we all carried every single spare part we needed for our RV's and/or tow vehicles, we would all be camping in our driveways because we'd all be too overweight for the road!

Not to mention there would be no room left for our glamping stuff...

Think about it...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, pump, recall, water, water pump