Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Nightmare! Warning! Water pump failed, not recalled on our coach!

On our first long trip in our 30fw and we get an overheat warning. We pull over and DH, who is great with cars, realizes the serpentine belt has broken. Then upon further inspection, realizes the water pump has failed. I had checked the web site to see if it was recalled on our coach and it was not. Only the tranny pin was listed. So, let this be a warning. Carry a water pump and a serpentine belt!

We waited over 6 hours for the tow truck, Coach Net was ridiculous, they sent a truck from very far away when there was a town about 20 min away with a bunch of trucks sitting there. Got towed to the the Dodge dealer at 930pm, and they are closed today, 4th of July, as is every rental car agency and every other mechanic I have tried. And when contacted yesterday, the dealer said they wouldn't be able to get to us until Saturday. I am going to go in there first thing in the morning to beg, plead and cry if I have to, to get them to take care of us. And even if they do, they may not have the parts. So here we sit, in the dealer's lot, hoping no one comes to kick us out as we are "camping" in their service lot where the tow truck left us. We have little water in our tank thinking we'd be at the campground, lesson learned. This is our worst nightmare.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Carknocker Family

Sorry for your troubles. Does you coach have the 6.7 Cummins or 6.4 hemi?

I have a recall on my 6.7 water pump catching fire but have been told there is no fix yet.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

Carrying a belt is a good idea but not so sure carrying a spare water pump is.

Belts are relatively easy to replace and are often the source of problems but water pump replacement is far more complex. Tools, Supplies, Talent, are all necessary. Most water pumps are readily available at most any Auto Parts Store, sometimes on holidays and weekends. Now all that's needed is someone with the tools and skill to replace it. That's the hard part.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

My '14 RAM 6.7 has a water pump recall T51/NHTSA 17V-562. Replacement water pumps are available. It is a simple visual check if the water pump is covered under this recall. None the less your pump is covered under the basic RAM warranty.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Grammar Pedant

I don't know about your specific vehicle, but to change my water pump in my F150 requires that I drain most of my radiator. It also requires me to remove my engine fan from the pulley that turns the water pump. These things aren't terrible jobs, but they require special tools and 2-3 gallons of coolant/distilled water. I'm not saying that carrying a spare water pump is a bad idea, just that you need to also carry any specialized tools you'll need to replace it and any coolant you will replace (most people carry spare coolant to top off, not to fully fill a radiator).

I could probably do the job on the side of the road, but I doubt I'll carry all of those items with me. I think I'd cab/Uber into the nearest town to buy parts, coolant, etc. for that job.

The belt for me only requires a 1/2" drive ratchet and patience. Different story.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Carrying a belt is a good idea but not so sure carrying a spare water pump is.

Belts are relatively easy to replace and are often the source of problems but water pump replacement is far more complex. Tools, Supplies, Talent, are all necessary. Most water pumps are readily available at most any Auto Parts Store, sometimes on holidays and weekends. Now all that's needed is someone with the tools and skill to replace it. That's the hard part.
Its 4th of July. Zero auto parts places open. We are in Northern Oregon. We are in a holding pattern at least until tomorrow.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #7

stuck in the dealer lot

1st of all, relax. panicking won't solve ANY of the issues you are facing. It's the 4th. NO one is going to kick you out. Open the slide, run the Genny. give some thought to pulling your toad off and running to Walmart for some 5 gallon water jugs and do s a little transshipment. The hard work of hauling 15 gallons at a time to put about 50 gallons in will work off the stress.
Next while waiting for the jugs to fill at one of those water places, look on your smart phone for 4th of July activities in the town, and spend the evening there. But some hot food at the venue and watch the fireworks. Be glad you are free.
It's frustrating but be glad you aren't stuck with the blown water pump between Phoenix and Tucson, or in the middle of Nevada, or Nebraska.
If you would rather rest, call your Church, and ask them if someone can bring you water. A little phone work, and you can find someone who has a tank, or cans, and won't mind hustling 3-4 cans out. That's enough to cook and shower in the morning.
It's not a nightmare, its an adventure. We spent a weekend in the dealer lot several years ago. We put out our solar panels, read and enjoyed the quiet time. Saturday evening until Monday morning. The security guy offered to pick up hamburgers on his route, but we had food. Relax, this won't be the last time you have vehicle troubles.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Its 4th of July. Zero auto parts places open. We are in Northern Oregon. We are in a holding pattern at least until tomorrow.

How small a town are you stranded in. ALL the Auto Parts store around me are open today. I just checked online.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Linda...so sorry to hear this! We'll be following your updates.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

HANKPAC has the best suggestion at the moment. My waterpump blew in a similar situation. No RV involved. DW was following behind in our Jeep. We were on the I-10 on a late Saturday afternoon in open desert about 6-10 miles east of Indio, CA. We had Good Sam but they were no better than Coach Net. They couldn't find a tow for our RAM 3500 Dually, long bed, crew cab. They finally contracted to the Allstate motor club for a tow. Got towed to a very little shop in Coachella, CA. Owner looked at it a said the water pump broke. Contacted the nearest RAM dealer on Monday. They sent their tow truck to my location to pick up my truck and tow to Indio. All fixed under RAM warranty on Monday. Inconvenient, but not a disaster.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

You can actually move the rv around the dealers lot without damaging the engine, I would walk around the building and look for a hose hook up, maybe find a cleaning crew or security gaurd and ask to fill your fresh water, just shut the motor off as soon as you pull over to the water, I can't imagine they would care if you took some water.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

Hankpac did put things in perspective. It could've been much worse. Are you even pulling a toad that you can use to make a Wal-Mart run for jugs and water? Post a picture of your "campsite". Would love to see it. We're all here for you. It's a bummer, I know. Our first long trip from home our one slide motor failed. As stranded goes--at least you're stranded in one really nice glamper. I hope they get you in ASAP and not Saturday. I'm sure this is messing up reservations and what not and I know how frustrating that can be. But at least you're all safe and it's nothing super major. If you were anywhere near Harrisburg, PA we'd come join you and make a party of it. :-)
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #13

Spare parts erc??????

Do you require a water pump "gasket" and sealant???????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #14

They gotta have a spigot somewhere on the building to get yourself some water.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #15

In reference to Coach Net's service. Something similar happened to me about a month ago. I have a TT but they also cover my Tow vehicle. My battery died while I was at a gas station about 20 miles from the campground. They wanted to get my car towed to the nearest Jeep dealer about 30 miles away. I talked to the ladies at the gas station (it was also a convenience store) and asked them if there was someone in town they could recommend. He was coming in for his lunch, so I talked to him and he agreed to tow if they would pay him. He called Coach Net and it was agreed. He was 3 miles away. Everything worked out well.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #16

Replacing the water pump on. The 6,7 ram should be fairly easy. Two bolts.

We had ours replaced under the recall.

How to,is on the internet.

As said. This is another adventure, find a way to have some fun!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
1st of all, relax. panicking won't solve ANY of the issues you are facing. It's the 4th. NO one is going to kick you out. Open the slide, run the Genny. give some thought to pulling your toad off and running to Walmart for some 5 gallon water jugs and do s a little transshipment. The hard work of hauling 15 gallons at a time to put about 50 gallons in will work off the stress.
Next while waiting for the jugs to fill at one of those water places, look on your smart phone for 4th of July activities in the town, and spend the evening there. But some hot food at the venue and watch the fireworks. Be glad you are free.
It's frustrating but be glad you aren't stuck with the blown water pump between Phoenix and Tucson, or in the middle of Nevada, or Nebraska.
If you would rather rest, call your Church, and ask them if someone can bring you water. A little phone work, and you can find someone who has a tank, or cans, and won't mind hustling 3-4 cans out. That's enough to cook and shower in the morning.
It's not a nightmare, its an adventure. We spent a weekend in the dealer lot several years ago. We put out our solar panels, read and enjoyed the quiet time. Saturday evening until Monday morning. The security guy offered to pick up hamburgers on his route, but we had food. Relax, this won't be the last time you have vehicle troubles.
Thank you. I needed to read this. We don't have a toad, but walked to the Safeway and picked up 4 of those 2.5 gallon drinking water jugs to put into the tank but we can't figure out how to get the water in there! We tried putting our hose in one (cut a hole) and turned on the water pump after turning the valve to the tank but nothing happened. Do you know how to get the water in there?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
They gotta have a spigot somewhere on the building to get yourself some water.
The place is totally closed, not even a security guard. We looked all around the building for a spigot, nothing.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
We tried putting our hose in one (cut a hole) and turned on the water pump after turning the valve to the tank but nothing happened. Do you know how to get the water in there?
The tank fill gets it's water from the pressurized city water supply when hooked up. The water pump get's it's supply from the tank.

If you have a "Water Thief" like this

you could possibly attach it to the kitchen faucet inside the unit, run a hose from your water jugs to the Winterizing port where the pump sucks in anti-freeze, then run your water hose from the kitchen faucet (maybe an outside shower hose with "wand removed can be used to hook up to) to the city water outlet. Open the tank fill valve and you should be able to get some water into the tank. Flow between city water inlet and pump suction may need to be pinched off but careful you aren't stopping water flow to the tank fill.

Very frustrating when the water tank doesn't have a means to gravity fill.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #20

Back to basics!

Put a jug in the bathroom and another near your kitchen sink! Heat it up on a stove if you need hot water and remember what camping was like in the old days. Problem solved. Have fun and relax.
Ltlscrppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, pump, recall, water, water pump