Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

No AMPS

Every time I plug into 50 amp service it shows no amps available and it blows my 20 amp breaker saying ground fault. Same with 30 and so on..20 just wont stay on. Not just this camp spot..This is the 5th spot to be exact. Worked fine at dealer of course. Aby ideas..
Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XGLMPR View Post
Every time I plug into 50 amp service it shows no amps available and it blows my 20 amp breaker saying ground fault. Same with 30 and so on..20 just wont stay on. Not just this camp spot..This is the 5th spot to be exact. Worked fine at dealer of course. Aby ideas..

More information would be helpful.
What is showing no amps? Is this a EMS device? If you have an EMS device and it detects an issue, it can prevent power from being delivered to the RV. No connection means no amps.
Not sure what you mean by same for 30 and 20. Are you saying you see the same issue no matter what capacity service you plugged into.
What 20 A breaker is blowing ( tripping)?
Where are you seeing the Ground fault indication?

Did you by any chance turn on the electric element in the water heater without water in it. This will short the element and can cause a ground fault. Dealer may have left elect WH switch on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

If the GFCI trips, you have a problem. GFCI trips when electrical current finds an abnormal path to ground. Could be worn insulation, water or other things. Since it worked at the dealer but, not now, I'd start with insulation. Whatever you do, don't just keep resetting the GFCI. Find the problem.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
More information would be helpful.
What is showing no amps? Is this a EMS device? If you have an EMS device and it detects an issue, it can prevent power from being delivered to the RV. No connection means no amps.
Not sure what you mean by same for 30 and 20. Are you saying you see the same issue no matter what capacity service you plugged into.
What 20 A breaker is blowing ( tripping)?
Where are you seeing the Ground fault indication?

Did you by any chance turn on the electric element in the water heater without water in it. This will short the element and can cause a ground fault. Dealer may have left elect WH switch on.
Im sorry.. unfortunately when I type I understand what I'm thinking but don't explain it completely. When I plug in any type of service 20 30 or 50 amp it blows the 20 amp fuse on my Isata 5. I took it into the dealer and it did not display what I was saying was happening. And it actually worked on the 50 amp service there. My next camping trip and it does the same thing again and blows. I'm curious if the breaker could be bad?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_174339.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	163311Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_174419.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	163312

I can tell I am plugged in because it shows I have service it is just the receptacles that won't work. The furnace air conditioners will come on but nothing that is plugged into an outlet will work. No TVs no microwave no DirecTV no plug-in heaters.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Did you plug your cord in and twist it to the right to lock it in. Did you screw on the collar if you have one? Are you using an adaptor plug at the pedestal? There was a defective on the forum two days ago and I know there are more out there. Unplug the cord from the trailer and check the prongs with a multimeter.
Go to your electric panel and turn off ALL the breakers including the main. Plug in the cord. If all is good turn on the main. Then one breaker at a time.

This is called troubleshooting. Start at the pedestal and work your way back checking every component in order.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Yes, breakers do fail. Might be an easy change to be sure.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

Please explain "furnace air conditioners". If your furnace comes on it's because it is on gas and the fan is on 12 volt.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Please explain "furnace air conditioners". If your furnace comes on it's because it is on gas and the fan is on 12 volt.
The air conditioner comes on..its just my recepticles. Dont work. Cant plug anything in..the gfci keeps blowing as soon as i plug in. Never have time to plug anything in as it blows immediately
Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #9

Which 20 amp breaker is tripping? The one labeled GFCI? Does anything work when it displays this message?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
The air conditioner comes on..its just my recepticles. Dont work. Cant plug anything in..the gfci keeps blowing as soon as i plug in. Never have time to plug anything in as it blows immediately
Ok now we're getting somewhere. So the breaker trips when you plug it the cord?? that's why you need to unplug at the trailer and check the cord with a multimeter. You want to see 120volts from L1 to N. 120 volts from L2 to N. No volts from N to G

Are you using an adapter. Go thru the steps in my first post.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #11

Ok, first of all the furnace has nothing to do with the 120Volt side of things and the AC is hardwired on its own circuit.
You know what's on the breakers in question, go and unplug everything, the fridge, microwave, tv, satellite box, DVD player...everything.next switch the breakers back on, if they stay on its one of the appliances but if they still trip the problem is either the breakers, something touching inside the panel or the wiring in the walls or an outlet. If you don't feel comfortable working on electric leave it to a professional, if you have warranty let them fix it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Ok now we're getting somewhere. So the breaker trips when you plug it the cord?? that's why you need to unplug at the trailer and check the cord with a multimeter. You want to see 120volts from L1 to N. 120 volts from L2 to N. No volts from N to G

I will do this hopefully tomorrow afternoon as I do not have a meter with me today. It did it before and I took it to the dealer and they could not reduplicate what was happening. It worked when I picked it up as I checked it. I now use it one week later and it is doing it again. Just a frustrating problem. And fortunately the only thing that is not working are the plugs. Last time I checked the cord with a meter everything was perfect just as you described.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:

I am not using an adapter.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #14

The screen shot when using 50 amp shore power is normal.
Does the GFI breaker trip when using the generator?
What was different at the dealer when plugged in? Did you use your power cord at the dealer to test? Test your cord as suggested.
You can buy a circuit tester that plugs into the wall outlets to test correct wiring. My experience is GFI breakers can be temperamental. If the power cord tests ok, each outlet tests ok then replace the breaker. I don’t think any devices are wired to the GFI circuit, only the outlets marked GFI.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
The screen shot when using 50 amp shore power is normal.
Does the GFI breaker trip when using the generator?
What was different at the dealer when plugged in? Did you use your power cord at the dealer to test? Test your cord as suggested.
You can buy a circuit tester that plugs into the wall outlets to test correct wiring. My experience is GFI breakers can be temperamental. If the power cord tests ok, each outlet tests ok then replace the breaker. I don’t think any devices are wired to the GFI circuit, only the outlets marked GFI.
Thank you for the answer on the 50 amp service picture. Nothing has changed and I plugged in just as I did at the dealer. I am using the same cord. When the generator is on it does not trip. Only when using Shore power.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #16

It's getting clearer. Sounds like your tripping your GFI breaker. This breaker covers your bathroom, outside outlets, kitchen counter outlets. Unplug anything on the circuit. That would be 1/2 of your rig. There is another one labeled General. That should be working.
It will cover your bedroom, living room etc.
If it works at the dealer think of what you are plugging in or turning on since you got home.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank you for the answer on the 50 amp service picture. Nothing has changed and I plugged in just as I did at the dealer. I am using the same cord. When the generator is on it does not trip. Only when using Shore power.
I'm one post behind this. LOL. Now I'm leaning back to the cord or the connection at the rig. Start the generator, reset the breaker, plug the cord into the side of the rig but not into power. See what happens.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
It's getting clearer. Sounds like your tripping your GFI breaker. This breaker covers your bathroom, outside outlets, kitchen counter outlets. Unplug anything on the circuit. That would be 1/2 of your rig. There is another one labeled General. That should be working.
It will cover your bedroom, living room etc.
If it works at the dealer think of what you are plugging in or turning on since you got home.
The funny thing is I have absolutely nothing plugged in whatsoever to any receptacle. Everything that is plugged in has been plugged in from day one when I received the rig as it is a 2018 model. It worked the first trip out and then the second trip it started tripping. And it tripped at every camping spot that I went to during my 2 weeks out. Took it to the dealer and it worked fine according to them. I went up to the dealer using the same cord and it worked fine. Today I go to a new camping spot and it Trips Again.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #19

The receptacles in my bedroom do not work as I can tell that my DirecTV box and other cables will not work that are plugged in. I have checked all of the plugs in my bedroom and they don't work.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #20

Can anyone tell me if ALL the 110-volt outlets are on the same circuit in a Dynamax

If the breaker works on the Gen the breaker is ok.