Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
TFH

No antenna for AM/FM radio

Anyone know if Dynamax installs a radio antenna in the sprinter chassis 2019 Isata3 FW ?
No reception on FM or AM
The tech at the dealer has no idea !
TFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH View Post
Anyone know if Dynamax installs a radio antenna in the sprinter chassis 2019 Isata3 FW ?
No reception on FM or AM
The tech at the dealer has no idea !
It’s in the drivers side a pillar but it doesn’t work there. I’ve heard some people take it out and lay it on the dash to get reception. I haven’t tried it as I use XM.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
TFH

So if one spends over $100k for a new Motor Home and pay additional $1000 for AM/FM/GPS they knowingly do not provide a workable Antenna!
Wow!
Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
It’s in the drivers side a pillar but it doesn’t work there. I’ve heard some people take it out and lay it on the dash to get reception. I haven’t tried it as I use XM.

Yes, that’s true. They provide an amplified dipole antenna and couple it to the chassis (ground) with double stick foam tape on the “A Pillar”. Tear it loose and lay it on the dash, it will work a little better. If you look behind the radio you’ll find the cable and connector from the stock antenna. The manufacturer tells me that the cable wasn’t long enough to reach to the top of the camper shell. They didn’t have any problem making the XM antenna cable reach though. I’d like to know where the other end of the stock antenna is but I don’t care to go digging for it.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
TFH

This motor Home is less than 5 days old, I suspect the manufacturer should pay to have someone correct their problem !
Their dealer does not have a clue what to do !
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
hhl

Click on the avatar next to hhl.
Click post.
I have tried several antennae. Found one which works but side mount outside antenna would be the best way to go. Read my post.
I do not dare to drill through rv wall and mount antenna, I do not know if other owners attempted to install antenna on roof or wall.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #7
TFH

Thanks for the input, but
This is a new motor home
Less than a week old !
I want the manufacture to take care of this/their problem!
Their dealer is clueless about what to do !
Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
hhl

Contact Brian Meeks service rep. At dynamax. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190414-220031.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	201758
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:
So if one spends over $100k for a new Motor Home and pay additional $1000 for AM/FM/GPS they knowingly do not provide a workable Antenna!
Wow!
That's correct! The radio antenna is in the driver's side front window piller. I know because when I picked up my unit last year not only did the radio not work, but the Kenwood unit was installed with the dongles behind the dash so you could not use Apple Car Play! My dealer removed the unit and reinstalled it correctly. At that time we identified the antenna in the left pillar. The FM radio works some but not the AM. My dealer said nobody listens to AM radio anyway!
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Wow!
As others have mentioned there is a power antenna that is mounted in the A-pillar. The tech not knowing what to do is just lazy on the tech. All they need to do is call. These things notoriously have bad reception because we can't use the Mercedes antenna that would install on the roof of the cab...because we build stuff there.

It could very well be that the antenna in the A-pillar, the power feed came loose?? happens. Then you have no powered antenna. Also, depending on when this is built, we actually stopped putting it in the A-pillar to reduce the interference.

The extra $1000 that you spent was not for AM/FM/GPS.....it was only for RV Specific GPS. The GPS antenna is mounted in a different location and is a different antenna. Are you saying that you don't have GPS reception either?

Also, the XM antenna is mounted differently. Do you have XM reception?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
TFH

The GPS is the only one that is working
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #12

I was wondering the same thing, I get zero AM reception on my Furrion and I don't see an antenna on the roof. FM works so that might be hooked up to the TV antenna.
I plan on pulling my radio out so I can see what Forest River inserted into the antenna jack.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
The GPS is the only one that is working
I emailed the service rep for your area to have him look for a local service center. it is likely something loose on the power antenna or it is interference with the antenna in the A-pillar. Either way, should be a simple fix and the XM should still work if you use that. At least the preview channel.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #14

Are you talking coach or chassis?

My coach does not have one, wish it did as I would tune in with the outdoor radio. I can always Bluetooth to it, well maybe.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #15

wait..... wait... Is this common on motor homes? I have a 2017 Sunseeker (Ford E450) which gets horrid reception, especially on AM. This could explain the issue.
DSeawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

AM is normally worse for interference than the FM.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

With recent discoveries over last couple years at the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva regarding the Higgs boson, I am waiting anxiously for a reasonably priced boson radio/antenna so I can communicate with spirits from outer dimensions, possibly even the dead. Won't that be cool.
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoose View Post
With recent discoveries over last couple years at the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva regarding the Higgs boson, I am waiting anxiously for a reasonably priced boson radio/antenna so I can communicate with spirits from outer dimensions, possibly even the dead. Won't that be cool.
You'll still get complaints about reception of lesser known AM spirits.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You'll still get complaints about reception of lesser known AM spirits.

True. 🤪

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #20
Old Engineer

In my 2019 Isata 3, delivered in April of 2018, the FM/AM amplified dipole antenna had the coax cable wrapped around the antenna and then stuffed behind the glove box.

This location below the firewall sheet metal guaranteed it would never work in that location.

I pulled it out and extended it up through the passenger side "A" pillar to the overhead, works fine there.

I covered this in a post here and made the dealer and Dynamax aware of it.

Same thing with the location of the GPS antenna, less than ideal mounted 90 degrees from horizontal.

The Jensen radio amplified antenna never had the +12 volts wired.

It did not work well either.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio