Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

No coach power

My coach batteries are dead and the alternator or shore power isn't charging them. Generator won't start because coach batteries are dead. I've checked all the fuses and breakers I can find in the battery compartment and in the electrical compartment. Any ideas?

I've left messages for Dynamax service and Coach net. Supposed to be on the road tomorrow morning.

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD

Old 07-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

Jump started the generator and still not charging the coach batteries.

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD

Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
GM

Got it. I'll run down there and see if anyone is aware. Also ask the production guys.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Do you have the Xantrex controller? If so make sure the Charger is enabled?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
GM

1. is the Shore power good? May not be charging the batteries, but do you have 110V?
2. Now that your gen is running, do you have 110V in the rest of the coach?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Do you have the Xantrex controller? If so make sure the Charger is enabled?
This is what happened to me. had to get the Xantrex controller set to charge enabled. Kids just started pressing buttons to clear a fault instead of READINGS the display.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

It's my understanding that the inverter has nothing to do with charging.

From the little bit of troubleshooting I just did it appears as though all the relay triggers are ran off the coach batteries. So, if your coach batteries are dead the only way to charge them is with an external charger because they won't kick on the relays needed to open up and charge. Also you can start your generator if your coach batteries go dead. This doesn't seem like a very well thought out system? It's also very frustrating not to have a generator autostart feature if it's going to be wired this way.

It appears as though when I plugged it into 110 the internal charger would kick on and then kick off. Same with the generator. I'm guessing the batteries were so dead it was going into protection.

I just added a 2250 CCA AGM battery to the mix and put a 50 amp charger on it for about an hour. Now when I plug in the 110 the onboard charger appears to be staying on and charging. I'll know more in a few hours.

Thanks for getting that guy to call me so quickly Bryan.

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

The inverter and charger are two different devices within the same housing. They can both be cycled on and off independently.

FWIW the auto gen start isnt the answer to all problems by any stretch. On two separate occasions somehow the charger got swapped off on me (still haven't figured that one out but it seems to default to off somehow) and when the generator kicked on it just ran for 12 hours without doing any chargers then got cutoff because of time.

In the end I've disabled the AGS and just manage my batteries manually. I like having the control over when I do my charging anyways and just like at home when the power goes off, the fridge is fine for a couple of hours if it loses power.

Whenever I leave it and am not using it both battery cutoffs get turned off.

Glad you got it up and running for your trip!
Old 07-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
GM

1. I never made it down to service. I was talking to guys on the line...unfortunately as with anything there are more questions than answers sometimes in trying to troubleshoot. So if Service called back...that was all them. Which is how it should work.

2. AGS is something that can be added.

3. FOURWHL is correct (with an asterisk). The DX3 and the Force are two different models and use different parts. On the DX3 we use an Inverter/Charger for various reasons. Some of that methodology may trickle down to the Force models...but we were using a standard converter/charger on the Force, with a separate inverter. I'd have to double check what we're doing today...because I've asked for a lot of things, but they do take time to implement.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Thanks for clarifying! Didnt realize there were that many differences between the two.

I'll stop chiming in like I know what I'm talking about on other models and leave it to the pros

Tags
power