Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

No DC power

2017 FORCE
I have no DC power. Coach is plugged into a 30AMP service. All of the outlets work, refrigerator works. Getting a code E01 and E05. Says the batteries need charging. Started the engine, let it run for about 10 minutes and charged the batteries. Shut the engine off and holds the charge for a short time and goes back to giving me the same codes.Generator will not start when showing those codes. It will start when the engine is used to charge the house batteries. I thought there was a built in charger when plugged into shore power. Anyone have any suggestions that I can try before bringing it into the repair shop ?

Thank You
RITAOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Team

How is your battery disconnect set -- to connect or to disconnect?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
How is your battery disconnect set -- to connect or to disconnect?
Battery disconnect switch is set to connect
RITAOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

Just a guess, but are you using a commercial 30A to 50A adapter? Those have an internal connection tying both legs of the 50A coach service to one 30A service. I think it's called a 'dog bone'.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #5

sounds like an issue with the converter / charger. if you are plugged into shore power the converter / charger should be supplying 12 vdc to recharge the batteries. this power can also be used to run the 12 vdc devices. even if the batteries were set to disconnect they would not get recharged but the converter / charger should be supplying 12vdc power that the device can use and you would not get those error messages saying low battery power.

there are a couple of quick things to check to see if the converter / charger is working. make sure you are plugged into shore power.

is the 120 vac circuit breaker for the converter / charger tripped? reset it just in case.
are all four lights of the battery status indicator on? if so this indicates that the converter / charger is outputting a recharge voltage.
have you checked the reverse polarity fuses on the converter / charger to see if they are blown? the best test is to pull them and test them with a multimeter (continuity or ohms)
final confirmation of converter / charger status would be to take a dc voltage measure at the output terminals. it should be around 13.6 vdc.

is your coach 30 amp or 50 amp? if 50 amp and you are using an adapter to plug into a 30 amp pedestal then there could possibly be a problem getting power to both legs of the 50 panel. but i am discounting this as you say all the 110 vac devices and outlets work.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Very good suggestions. The FORCE is the cousin of our unit. The AC outlets come off the 2800W Pure Sine inverter and are on all of the time. It would appear that the problem is getting the batteries charged.

What we don't know is if the charger requires both legs of the 50A input. Maybe it is only getting one 120 leg as input. If that is the case then the charger won't be getting the proper input to charge the batteries.

Maybe running the generator for a couple hours? The generator would be providing the proper voltage as a test.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

no, the charger only requires one of the two legs on a 50 amp trailer. i took it that 120 vac power was ok on both legs when the statement was made that all outlets worked. it appears that both 120 vac legs have power. the only thing that would be keeping the converter from getting 120 vac power is the circuit breaker. (of course a loose connection anywhere could also be an issue but let's not go there yet.)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITAOB View Post
2017 FORCE
I have no DC power. Coach is plugged into a 30AMP service. All of the outlets work, refrigerator works. Getting a code E01 and E05. Says the batteries need charging. Started the engine, let it run for about 10 minutes and charged the batteries. Shut the engine off and holds the charge for a short time and goes back to giving me the same codes.Generator will not start when showing those codes. It will start when the engine is used to charge the house batteries. I thought there was a built in charger when plugged into shore power. Anyone have any suggestions that I can try before bringing it into the repair shop ?

Thank You
Get a meter and test the input to the converter , if you have 120v there then test the output of the converter if's it's not producing then get a new converter
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Home is where we park it

I have a 2016 Force 37BH. Yours may be different, but I have a small control panel for the Xantrex inverter. It is located in the cabinet above and behind the driver's seat. If yours is the same, it will allow you to turn the inverter on and also tell you the status of the inverter. Might be worth taking a look...
markdebzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

Did you check to make sure you have 120 volts coming into your cord. I had the same thing last weekend at a small campground. Could not get the inverter to charge. After about one hour checking everything out in the RV I found I lost shore power. Talk about kicking myself for not checking the basics first.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power