Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

No on/off switch for the furnace 2015 REV RB

This morning I was in the REV in my driveway prepping for a trip and the furnace was running. The thermostat was turned all the way down, but it was in the low 40's this morning. I leave the vent open (vent covered) and a couple of windows open for ventilation.

I couldn't find any way to turn off the furnace. There is no on and off switch on the thermostat. I tried the main circuit breaker, but that only turned off 120V. The only thing I could figure out to do was go out and turn off the propane switch which shut off the gas.

Going to Lowes today and buying a programmable thermostat. With a power switch!

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Orlando
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

on your thermostat should be a switch AC - off - furnace. But yes- the electronic ones are nice. we have it in our new camper and we love it.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
on your thermostat should be a switch AC - off - furnace. But yes- the electronic ones are nice. we have it in our new camper and we love it.
You are right, there should be, but there isn't an on/off switch. Just a manual temperature adjustment.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Try this video. https://www.truma.com/us/en/heating/videos.php. You can turn off the furnace...its software based however. I also don't think you can use a programmable T-stat. The Combi doesn't work like that since it controls heat and water.

Operating instructions are here https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter...llation_us.pdf

• Because of internal time lags for the heating, the switching-off process can take a few minutes.

You can also hit the gas shut off on the furnace itself...top of the unit. Or unplug it, but using the control panel is the best bet as the combi has a element for cold weather to keep it from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.38.58 A.png
Views:	67
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	129014  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Be aware that many furnaces have a safety feature that disables them if they try to light a few times and fail to light. This would happen if you just turned off the gas. To reset them, you need to turn them off or pull the fuse for a minute or two.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Sorry about that Tom-n-Dale, I could have sworn I saw 2017 REV in your post.

I chastise people for posting towable answers to a Motorhome thread that doesn't apply, and here I post the wrong furnace for your model year. I'll go edit "on your NEW ReV, it will be like this".

Thanks for the heads up, now I'll have to go look at our other units. I dont think I have seen that set up on anything else.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Sorry about that Tom-n-Dale, I could have sworn I saw 2017 REV in your post.

I chastise people for posting towable answers to a Motorhome thread that doesn't apply, and here I post the wrong furnace for your model year. I'll go edit "on your NEW ReV, it will be like this".

Thanks for the heads up, now I'll have to go look at our other units. I don't think I have seen that set up on anything else.
I just replaced it with a digital one from Lowes for $20. It is programmable. The old one was a brown Suburban that you just pushed the lever left or right. All the way left was supposed to be off. A plastic part on the lever (under the cover) was suppose to push under a set of contacts and open them. Instead, it just pushed them sideways and never shut off.

The Truma would have been nice, though! Since I also had 4 Atwood instant on hot water heaters replaced until they finally got one that works. Mine was the one that started the NHTSA recall.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Love my Rev

I had the same problem - I just stuck a very small piece of cardboard between the contacts
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, switch