Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

No Shore power

Yesterday our shore power went out. We were plugged in and everything was fine. After a while I realized we were running on the inverter. Now I don't seem to have shore power and the inverter quit working. I have reset any breakers that I thought my be part of the problem. I checked the pedestal and that was working.
Any help would be highly appreciated. The unit is a 2018 DX3.
papatyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #2

as i understand you do not have any 120 vac power, yet you have checked the pedestal and it has 120vac power. are you 30 amp or 50 amp? how did you confirm that the pedestal has power?

do you have an ems unit installed in your power supply circuit? is it showing any errors?

the circuit breaker that needs to be checked is the main input breaker in you panel. flip it off and then back on to reset it and see if that helps? no need to check the breaker on the pedestal as you say the pedestal has power. it would not if the pedestal breaker had tripped.

do you have a generator and automatic transfer switch?

assuming that none of the above solved the problem your going to have to do some detective work. do you have a multimeter and can you use it to take 120vac measurements? many people have reported various failures in various parts of the path bring power in. basically start at the pedestal, take a measurement and keep working towards your distribution panel until you find a segment that does not pass power.

places to check include
- the power cord itself
- the receptacle that you plug the female end of the power cord into. go to the back side of this receptacle and look at the connections. several people have reported loose connections there that ended up arcing and failing.
- the connection into the distribution panel. they may be loose and have failed.
- any connections into the ems or transfer switch
- look for any junction boxes where a cable is spliced or joined. people have reported that wire nuts have come loose and the connections have come undone.

if you have a generator do you have 120vac power everywhere when on generator power? if so you can eliminate any cabling past the transfer switch output connections.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
as i understand you do not have any 120 vac power, yet you have checked the pedestal and it has 120vac power. are you 30 amp or 50 amp? how did you confirm that the pedestal has power?

do you have an ems unit installed in your power supply circuit? is it showing any errors?

the circuit breaker that needs to be checked is the main input breaker in you panel. flip it off and then back on to reset it and see if that helps? no need to check the breaker on the pedestal as you say the pedestal has power. it would not if the pedestal breaker had tripped.

do you have a generator and automatic transfer switch?

assuming that none of the above solved the problem your going to have to do some detective work. do you have a multimeter and can you use it to take 120vac measurements? many people have reported various failures in various parts of the path bring power in. basically start at the pedestal, take a measurement and keep working towards your distribution panel until you find a segment that does not pass power.

places to check include
- the power cord itself
- the receptacle that you plug the female end of the power cord into. go to the back side of this receptacle and look at the connections. several people have reported loose connections there that ended up arcing and failing.
- the connection into the distribution panel. they may be loose and have failed.
- any connections into the ems or transfer switch
- look for any junction boxes where a cable is spliced or joined. people have reported that wire nuts have come loose and the connections have come undone.

if you have a generator do you have 120vac power everywhere when on generator power? if so you can eliminate any cabling past the transfer switch output connections.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	191167
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Now I like that! ^^^
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks all. Messed around a bit and think my problem is the SurgeGuard transfer switch. There is no magic button so back to the dealer we go.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

without having to go 'back' to the dealer, why not help us help you identify if it really is the ATS... what made you think that it's the problem? If you had 120v shore power, and suddenly lost it, it doesn't sound like the ATS would be the issue, especially being new.
Have you tried plugging into another outlet in the park?
Have you confirmed that all breakers are not tripped(even though they may look as though they are not)?
Have you tried running the generator to see if 120v power is passing thru your ATS to your Main Panel? (and make sure the generator's breakers are not also tripped)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Yes I have checked the voltage at the post and ran am extension cord from the post to my frige. All works well. If I pull the plug and reinsert it I can hear the clunk of the at the ats. Everything works fine on the generator. Talked to the service department at Dennis Dillion and he said they are having some problems with the surge guard ats locking up.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

yes, with the ‘clunk’ you hear, that means the ATS is working, BUT there could be a simple loose connection on the Shore side within it
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power