Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

No shore power, need help?

Isata 5 DS. I'm plugged into a 20 amp outlet in my garage. But I'm not getting 110v in the coach. Only if I turn on the Inverter, then all the outlets and the 110volt fridge come on. But I'm running on batteries and I want to run off of shore power. This morning the coach was dead and the engine would not start. Last night I turned off the Red barrel switch in the battery bay which I thought would kill the coach but it doesn't. Not sure what it does. Is there a setting on the Magnum Remote Control (Inverter controller, I have the ME-RC) that tells the system it is on 20amp shore power. Just tossing out ideas but maybe my Inverter/Charger isn't set to provide shore power to the outlets in the coach?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

You’ve got a transfer switch that’ll power the coach from either shore or generator. There’s and audible click when the relays cut over. Feed doesn’t go through the inverter at that point and the charger should start charging batteries.

What are you using to plug into the 20A? Do you hear it click over?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

There is a setting for main volts, but this shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if the inverter is also your battery charger, or if you have a separate converter / charger? Do you have a generator? My Magnum has a built in transfer switch for what it powers via the batteries. But, you are also not charging the battery (or batteries) since they are dead today. You have already found out the battery cut off doesn't totally cut off DC power. Testing is required. Here is a link for some pretty good information if you are so inclined to fix it yourself and I encourage you to, but keep in mind you will be in close proximity to things that can hurt or kill you. RV Dreams also has a flow chart, further down. Be careful who you listen to and know what you are doing OR find someone who does if this scares you, but it ain't rocket surgery.

RV Electrical Systems

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

check the circuit breaker for your shore power outlet, it probably tripped

when u plug into a 15 or 20amp ‘home’ outlet, turn your Magnum ‘Shore’ button setting down to 5 or 10 so that your charger doesn’t use too many amps and trip the house breaker
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
You’ve got a transfer switch that’ll power the coach from either shore or generator. There’s and audible click when the relays cut over. Feed doesn’t go through the inverter at that point and the charger should start charging batteries.

What are you using to plug into the 20A? Do you hear it click over?
Where should I hear the click in the electric bay near the Magnum Inverter? And I forgot to say that even though the batteries are showing full and 13.5 volts the Generator will crank but not start.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

on your rig it may not be where mine is, which is under the bed, but it will probably be not far from your shore power cord when it enters your coach... it is usually a very audible 'clunk' when you plug in. One thing you can do is plug in the outlet first, if you are using an extension cord and adapter, then plug in your shore cord end close to your coach so you can 'hear' the clunk. If none, then your outlet is probably not live.

for the generator, which I am guessing is diesel, HOLD the generator switch for quite a while, and continue while it is 'clicking'(priming).... it can take 30seconds or more if it hasn't been started for a while, or is not very warm out, etc.
Even continue holding the switch after it's cranked, as it may need a little extra 'juice' during it's first several seconds.... adding the AUX or EMERGENCY START switch also helps(it ties the House batteries in with the CHASSIS batteries).

now, when you crank the generator, it may take another 20 or 30 seconds before the ATS switches over to the generator, with the same 'clunk', even if you are still plugged into shore power, as the generator takes precedence when both are active. If you turn off the generator and still plugged in to live shore power, it will 'clunk' back over to the shore power, almost immediately.
The ATS is designed to allow the generator to 'ramp up' to full 120v output before it switches over, which is why it takes longer, but Shore Power is constantly 120v, so it switches over to it immediately.

just so you know....fun, ain't it!? : )
Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

The Transfer Switch has no lights showing and I do not hear a click when I plug the cord into shore power. Perhaps a setting is wrong on the Inverter control panel?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #8

no, it has nothing to do with the inverter

check your breaker for your home outlet where you are plugged in...sounds like it is dead.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Is the 20A outlet in your garage protected by a GFCI? If so try a non GFCI outlet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Garage outlets should be GFCI. Is it tripped?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #11

true, as some GFCI circuits are overly/extra sensitive, and/or your coach already has GFCI circuits that may not play well with one you are plugged into.... I just had this problem the other day, as the generator worked fine, but the shore power 15a GFCI circuit tripped almost immediately after plugging in. Moved the shore power cord to a 'regular' outlet, and everything is fine.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #12

Success!

Well you can tell I was NOT a Chief Electrician's Mate. I was able to troubleshoot the problem though. At the far end of the cord from garage on the 'other' side of the motor I discovered that I forgot plug in the bitter end. And in the words of a sage wise (young) Bright Shinning Beacon (aka BC) Dynamax Expert Extraordinaire it's most often something very simple. In this case the simpleton was the operator. For all of you who responded I apologize for raising the alarm. And Oh by the way, the Generator still won't start, don't know what's up with that. But I'm busy cleaning the coach and loading it for our two night test on Wednesday. I'll play with it tomorrow.
Thanks to you all!
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #13

no problem, it's actually the 'best' way to learn ... your mind will never forget!

soon, you'll be helping other with the 'same' problem...

I imagine your generator will soon start, also, just give it enough time.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
Commercial Member

been there. So worried about all the new stuff, you forget the easy stuff. Eventually you’ll get into a routine.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #15

RE generator will not start

On ours generator will not run if less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Not sure how the sensor works -- will turn over but not start.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMort View Post
On ours generator will not run if less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Not sure how the sensor works -- will turn over but not start.
All motorhomes do this. They make the generator syphon short enough so that you don't generate yourself into stranded. Usually at a quarter tank. So if you are going to dry camp try to do it on a full tank.
Days camped 2021 = 25

Tags
power