Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #21

Two drain plugs: Cummins told me that we should only need to drain through the front plug on the 8.9L.
To the OP: Obviously you had addition oil drain out the back plug then after the front plug stopped draining?
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Two drain plugs: Cummins told me that we should only need to drain through the front plug on the 8.9L.
To the OP: Obviously you had addition oil drain out the back plug then after the front plug stopped draining?
Yes not a lot, but enough that I was glad I emptied it
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
You should never prefill a filter. Oil or fuel. The oil and or fuel flows into the filters from the sides and up though the center. If you prefill, this is unfiltered and entering your engine. This could cause a fuel or oil system failure.
On the filter instructions it shows you to fill... I've always filled before installing. Both oil and fuel. Especially fuel...
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #24

I am a retired engineer from the aircraft industry and all jet engines now use synthetic oil because of it's high temp tolerance and long durability. All the new car manufacturers are also calling for synthetic. I think that tells us something.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Took 6 gallons total on my engine. Next weekend I'm going to tackle the fuel filters.

I've got all the stuff to change the oil and fuel filters sitting in the garage for this weekend. A couple of questions if you don't mind:

Cummins lists three different oil pan sizes in the manual but doesn't give markings/pic to tell which one you have. Does the 6 gallons you mentioned takes into account the gallon (approximately) you used to prefill the filter?

The manual references using a designated fill port on the side of the block vs. pouring directly into the top of the valve cover like I'd usually do. I apologize, as I haven't looked for this port, but is that what you did?

Any tips on replacing the fuel filters? Pretty straight forward?

Thanks!
JT
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #26

Mine took 6 gallons including what I put into the oil filter.

I put the oil in through the oil cap on the top of the engine.

The black fuel filter was easy. It takes a socket to unscrew it. Have a pan ready. The filter will be full and just a bit more comes out. Pre fill this filter through the outside holes. There is a red plug the protects the center cavity. The fuel will leak through the membrane and the filter will be completely full. Make sure the outer gasket and the small gasket under the plug gets lubricated with fresh fuel.

Take off the plug and install. I believe the torque amount was 28 foot pounds.

I cycled the key several times for at lest 30 seconds. You can hear the pump running.

After it started I let it run for several minutes.

I then moved on to the fuel water separator. I bought a second clear bottom so I could install it on the new filter. I drained the fuel filter with the bottom drain. I used a rubber strap wrench on the clear bottom and then on the filter. Unplug the wiring at the junction before you start twisting the electrical fitting off. I believe it is the water in fuel light.

Same thing prefill with the outside holes. No plug for this one just be carefull. I borrowed the wife's glass pyrex measuring container and poured carefully.

Lubricate the seals and install a full fuel filter. Same thing cycle the key 3 or 4 times.

You could do both filters at the same time but I was skeered. I wanted to know if I had a problem before I did two things at once.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #27

Thank you, sir.

Not sure where I read about filling the oil through a fill port on the side of the block...might have been for something else.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #28

Performed this service today. Thanks for the tips.

Overall, this service was easier on the 8.9 than it is on the 6.7 in my ram (which I also had to do today). For some reason, the manual I was using pointed me to part number FS1098 for the water separator. It's a single piece vs. the separate filter/clear bowl like what came from the factory. After doing some searching online I was convinced that this was the 'new' design and decided to go with it. After disassembling the original bowl/filter, though, I noticed that the FS1098 separator doesn't extend up into the mount at all like the actual filter does. I ended up just cleaning the bowl and putting it all back together with the original filter/bowl...didn't want to chance it. I'll have to look into getting that actual filter instead of the assembly I bought.

Like you, I cranked it and let it run after each step. It cranked right up each time, but after disassembling/reassembling the water separator, it lost prime after running for a few minutes. It took me a while to get her fired back up again. Not sure where I messed up.

On a related note, I think I should have been draining the separator bowl more frequently. There was a lot of sediment in the bottom of mine, and it was quite some time before what resembled diesel came out. Do you guys drain that bowl before every trip?

Thanks again!
JT
Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #29

Had mine done by my FL dealer so might be wrong but I think there are 2 fuel filters. I have the clear bowl with filter cartridge and then a black plastic filter also. I think. My coach is still in Las Vegas getting repaired from my tail swing incident months ago so can't go and take a look.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #30

That’s correct...there’s an actual filter on the pressure side (black plastic spin on filter just inside the driver’s side frame rail) and a fuel water separator on the suction side (clear bowl with paper filter inside) under the driver’s fender. I replaced the filter but had what I’m thinking is an incompatible separator.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #31

Quote:

I then moved on to the fuel water separator. I bought a second clear bottom so I could install it on the new filter. I drained the fuel filter with the bottom drain. I used a rubber strap wrench on the clear bottom and then on the filter. Unplug the wiring at the junction before you start twisting the electrical fitting off. I believe it is the water in fuel light.
Do you have a part number or link for the new clear bowl you purchased? I went by the Freightliner shop yesterday and bought the filter element I should have got to begin with, but they didn’t show a part number for the bowl.

Thanks,
JT
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #32

I bought the clear bottom bowl for my fuel filter/separator at Amazon. Wix WF10136.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #33

Quote:
I bought the clear bottom bowl for my fuel filter/separator at Amazon. Wix WF10136.
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #34

Quote:
I'm guessing our trucks have different separators. This is what I have on mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	separator.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	189827  
Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #35

That is what mine looks like too, that other part number was just a bottom cup. Looks like it would screw on a metal bottom filter
Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
That is what mine looks like too, that other part number was just a bottom cup. Looks like it would screw on a metal bottom filter
Yep. He had mentioned that he bought the bottom cup/bowl so I was hoping they were the same as I couldn't find one for this Detroit separator. It was on there tight, and I had to crank on the strap wrench pretty hard to get it loose and get it screwed all the way back in. I'd hate to break that bowl...
Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #37

Old 10-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #38

This is the fuel filter water separator for my 8.9 Cummins. The clear bowl I posted earlier screws to the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-3...ords=33231+WIX
Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #39

This is what I have on my 8.9 ISL Cummins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	189888  
Old 10-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #40
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I have Fumoto waiting for me to install soon. The pan is so high off of the ground with suspension components in front of it, Im not worried about it.
Never underestimate what a rock will do. Anyone who has seen my Excursion will know that its very high off the ground (I can do an oil change without jacking it up). The oil pan is behind the massive Dana front axle, trackbar and steering linkages, and I got a nifty dent in my oil pan just to the drivers side of the drain plug. Not sure what did it, but with slightly better aim, it would have taken a Fumoto valve clean off the pan.

As far as the pre-fill the oil filter debate. On every vehicle I own, I can pull a fuse or some other similarly easy thing that will prevent engine start. I spin on the new filters, disable the engine, and crank till I show decent oil pressure. Replace fuse and done. A full FL-1995 filter is pretty heavy to one-arm it into position and get screwed in place.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote