Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Oil Change Cummins ISL 8.9

I know there are alot of DIYers out there so don't shy away from an oil change. Found out when I changed the oil for the first time that there are two separate oil drain plugs. I had only purchased one Fumoto valve. So this time I was prepared and the oil drain process will go much easier next time. Hammered a phillips screw driver into the huge filter and and let it drain.

Found at least three zerk fittings on u joints and one other on the drive shaft.
Along with the usual zerk fittings in the front end. The biggest pain was installing the filter full of oil way up high, while on my back with the blood draining from my arm.

Took 6 gallons total on my engine. Next weekend I'm going to tackle the fuel filters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumoto Front.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	188727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumoto Back.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	188728  

Old 10-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

I don't trust Fumoto valve sticking below the pan. On the side, maybe.

I extract the oil from my inboard engines, lawn equipment, and road vehicles from the top thru the dipstick. I can reach the oil filter from the top or side on most. But it only holds 3.5 gallons of oil. They make a bigger one. Makes life very simple.

Mine:

-- Chuck

Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

Not sure sucking the oil out gets the worst of the crap on the bottom.
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I know there are alot of DIYers out there so don't shy away from an oil change. Found out when I changed the oil for the first time that there are two separate oil drain plugs. I had only purchased one Fumoto valve. So this time I was prepared and the oil drain process will go much easier next time. Hammered a phillips screw driver into the huge filter and and let it drain.

Found at least three zerk fittings on u joints and one other on the drive shaft.
Along with the usual zerk fittings in the front end. The biggest pain was installing the filter full of oil way up high, while on my back with the blood draining from my arm.

Took 6 gallons total on my engine. Next weekend I'm going to tackle the fuel filters.
What weight oil do they recommend for the 8.9? Dino or synthetic?
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

I run 15w-40 diesel rated shell Rotella.

Mike
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

I run the same Rotella non synthetic.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

Iím not sure with the low mileage on an RV (for most people) that synthetic makes sense.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

I have Fumoto waiting for me to install soon. The pan is so high off of the ground with suspension components in front of it, Im not worried about it.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
Iím not sure with the low mileage on an RV (for most people) that synthetic makes sense.
I am of the opinion that there is more to synthetic oil that just the extended drain intervals. Things like FAR superior cold flow properties, superior flash point and much better protection for high heat/load exposure. I think it makes a TON of sense to run synthetic in an RV that, when it's running, it almost certainly going to see significant loads.

To put it in context, Rotella T5 15/40 (Dino) at Wal-Mart is currently showing as $15.97/gallon. Rotella T6 5/40 (synth) is currently showing as $19.97/gallon. The OP says that his ISL took 6 gallons of oil. With Dino oil that would amount to $95.82 and with synth that would amount to $119.82. That means that the total cash outlay to switch from dino to synth would amount to $24.00 per oil change. Donít you think the extra protection at both cold and hot temps be worth $24? Ö..and if we really did some math and accounted for the extended drain interval, that $24 number would go down. If we switched to the ISB (6.7l) engine in the Isata5 which has a capacity of 3 gallons, that would (obviously) make the difference between dino and synth oil only $12.00. To me, it seems silly to consider anything less than Rotella T6 for a $12.00 difference.

Iím not saying that diesel rated dino oil is ďbadĒ because I know itís good oil, but I _am_ saying that I think synthetic motor oils (at least the diesel rated ones) offer additional protection that simply canít be duplicated with a dino oilÖ..and I think that it makes the most sense in our coaches that are worked pretty hard virtually every time we twist the key. Simple version: itís VERY cheap ďinsuranceĒ in my book.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I don't trust Fumoto valve sticking below the pan. On the side, maybe.
I feel the same way. I run Fumoto's on all my passenger vehicles, but the Cummins in our Isata5 is just like the OP's Force and points straight down at the ground. That seemed less than ideal to me for a Fumoto, but the Isata5 also doesn;t have the ground clearance that the Force/DX3 have, so that could make a big difference.

I bought this instead:

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

I have yet to do our first oil change, so it's not installed yet, but the reviews are VERY good. Lots of fleet companies run them in very abusive environments and have not reported any problems.