Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Opening in Wet Bay Floor for Sewer Hose Should be Centered? 2019 Isata 5 35DB

Ever since the first time we drained our black tank, I found it “odd” that the opening/hatch thingy in the floor of the wet bay was _not_ centered under the outlet for the black and grey tanks. So, curiosity has gotten the best of me and I’m here to ask the question: _SHOULD_ that opening be centered under the drain outlet?

Possibility #1: I am a total noobie and I’m simply missing something. Like that is off center for a reason and I’m just a totally dummy. If that’s the case, then can someone please explain why it’s like that.

Possibility #2: Dynamax cut the hole in the wrong place and It’s installed in the wrong place. If that the case, then what can be done about it? ….or do I just get to live with it like that for the remainder of my time with this coach.

I’ll be perfectly honest with you, it may seem like a small thing, but it’s a total pain in the neck. It’s also messing with my OCD a little bit. It does make a _direct_ connection from the sewer hose to the outlet 100% impossible. I _must_ have a 90 degree hard molded pipe to make it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	183111  
Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Team

My Forester is centered but it is low enough that the lower buckle hits the bottom when releasing or clamping down. Not convenient at all.

I put a WasteMaster to bayonet adapter there so I can just use my other rhino hose.
You may consider a swiveling 45° connector there that can turn toward the hole.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
My Forester is centered but it is low enough that the lower buckle hits the bottom when releasing or clamping down. Not convenient at all.

I put a WasteMaster to bayonet adapter there so I can just use my other rhino hose.
You may consider a swiveling 45° connector there that can turn toward the hole.
Yeah, I actually bought a 90 degree elbow and yes, it does technically solve the problem, it just _feels_ like I am solving a problem that should not exist.

The other problem that crops up with it off center AND with the 90 degree elbow in place is that I then have VERY little room for the fresh water hose to enter the wet bay.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Ok....you shouldn't have to, but what about a rectangular hatch. Something like this..

http://www.beckson.com/hatches.html
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ok....you shouldn't have to, but what about a rectangular hatch. Something like this..

Hatches by Beckson
Great minds think alike....that is actually exactly what I was looking at/wanting.

Problems arise though: since it is hinged on one side, the hinge will HAVE to be on the outside of the coach (closest to the door). If the hinge was on the inside, the lid would cover the connection to the waste tanks. So, if the hinge is on the outside, then you wouldn't be able to open the lid because the handle and portions of the valve for the black tank will prevent it from opening.

Now, if I could find a hatch like those you have linked to, BUT it had latches on BOTH sides, that would do the trick for sure.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Great minds think alike....that is actually exactly what I was looking at/wanting.

Problems arise though: since it is hinged on one side, the hinge will HAVE to be on the outside of the coach (closest to the door). If the hinge was on the inside, the lid would cover the connection to the waste tanks. So, if the hinge is on the outside, then you wouldn't be able to open the lid because the handle and portions of the valve for the black tank will prevent it from opening.

Now, if I could find a hatch like those you have linked to, BUT it had latches on BOTH sides, that would do the trick for sure.
I saw that too... I think it was Overtons... I will look some more
Old 08-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Here are some....

https://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-p...s/deck-hatches
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

It appears key word "pry out hatch or cover" gets some good hits
Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:

What about mounting it on the bottom? Then the latches area on the outside and the hinge is on the inside...drops down.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

http://www.beckson.com/hatches.html
I like that.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for the help with this one! I just order the one in the screen shot below. I like the fact that the cover actually covers the entire hatch including the flange. Seems like that will help keep dirt, water and "stuff" from collecting in the screw holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Deck Hatch.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	183282  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
What about mounting it on the bottom? Then the latches area on the outside and the hinge is on the inside...drops down.
Yeah, I thought of that too.....then I had visions of it popping open as we drove down the road and A) the lid getting beat to death as it hung open under the rig or B) pulling into a parking lot and thinking we has sufficient ground clearance, but not knowing the lid was hanging down and then getting torn off or C) driving in the rain and having the wet bay full of water upon arrival at our destination or D) all the above.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for the help with this one! I just order the one in the screen shot below. I like the fact that the cover actually covers the entire hatch including the flange. Seems like that will help keep dirt, water and "stuff" from collecting in the screw holes.
Installed this little guy over the weekend and I am pleased as punch! I think I am going to write this one off to an "upgrade" rather than a "fix". Very pleased with the product and how it's going to work out in the wet bay of the Isata 5.

I'm still going to run a 90 degree hard adapter, but as you can see from the picture, if worse came to worse (let's say the 90 degree adapter breaks), I _can_ run the hose without any adapter. Also very happy about the fact that it's not only o-ringed into place, but also has 2 snap tabs to hold it in place. I also pushed it as far back as I could toward the sewer outlet, so even those last few drops that come out of the sewer hose after disconnection, don't land in the wet bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	183872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	183873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	183874  
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Great.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Installed this little guy over the weekend and I am pleased as punch! I think I am going to write this one off to an "upgrade" rather than a "fix". Very pleased with the product and how it's going to work out in the wet bay of the Isata 5.

I'm still going to run a 90 degree hard adapter, but as you can see from the picture, if worse came to worse (let's say the 90 degree adapter breaks), I _can_ run the hose without any adapter. Also very happy about the fact that it's not only o-ringed into place, but also has 2 snap tabs to hold it in place. I also pushed it as far back as I could toward the sewer outlet, so even those last few drops that come out of the sewer hose after disconnection, don't land in the wet bay.
Excellent!!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #16

Great solution, for them not cutting the hole in the correct spot.

Tags
floor