Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Our New Dynamax Isata 3 Series

This past November we attended the Portland, OR RV show and saw the RV of our dreams – the Dynamax Isata 3 series. It was absolutely beautiful and everything we wanted in a motorhome. We loved it!! We were so excited and ordered it with the exact interior design that was on display at the show. You can imagine our disappointment and frustration when it arrived and wasn’t delivered as ordered. The dinette and bathroom areas had significant design changes, which we had no knowledge of or wanted. In the dinette area, we ordered the wrap-around cushions with corner cup holders – this is not what we received. The surface tops of both the dinette table and bathroom counter were to be the same solid surface material as the kitchen counter, which they weren’t. We were also very disappointed that the vessel sink bowl in the bathroom had been replaced. These are the designer touches which attracted us to this motorhome and stood out, which we were expecting upon delivery. We’ve been working with our Sales Rep, Paul Walter at B. Young RV and the Dynamax Representative, Joe, but it’s been a frustrating two weeks since we’ve received it, as we just want the RV we ordered. I have pictures from the show of what we ordered back in November and pictures of what was delivered. There is no comparison as to the quality of the workmanship, specifically pertaining to the dinette area. I’m hoping with good faith this will be resolved quickly so that we can be proud owners of our Isata and share it with friends and family this Spring and Summer.

Thank you so much – We look forward to your response.
John Currier & Carol Emery
John Currier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

We change things as a result of complaints and customer feedback, but unfortunately it is impossible for us to please everyone.

The vessel bowl was a mixed bag. We saw some shattering in the field due to heat and people hitting the edge. You would be just as disappointed when the bowl arrived shattered. So while we loved the styling (not everyone did), we did not like the complaints we received. In addition we received complaints about wanting more CCC. That bowl was 30lbs, stainless was about 4lbs. Almost every other manufacturer that I have looked at, uses a plastic sink in the bathroom. We did not stoop that low, we instead changed to a lighter, more durable stainless steel sink. Left the higher end faucet as well, not the plastic ones others run. This was not about "cost savings" it was about weight savings and something that will withstand the test of time in a harsh use environment.

Countertops were the same thing. It all came down to weight. The first units were coming back with a CCC that was too low, so we had to shed weight.

We also changed the shower door. The glass doors were 75lbs versus 10 lbs for an arcadia shower door. The arcadia is a plastic door that is embossed to look like the common "rain" glass finish, but it also has a curved arc at the top that allows for more shoulder room. Unlike a curtain, it attaches at the top AND the bottom to keep water in. We also looked at at the other high end builders (Leisure travel and Winnebago). Both of them use the "Shub", now called "Nautilus" shower door which is just a thin plastic screen that runs straight across. We felt, the Arcadia was a lightweight option that offered additional benefits over a plastic screen.

Dinette. The first dinette, no doubt, looks good. The issue again was complaints. Because the backs were fixed...you had to have a bolster cushion shipped lose so that you can make it into a bed. That means a large bulky item that was going to have to be stored somewhere. Also, because the back cushions were fixed, it means when made into a bed, it made a smaller bed. Also, we got complaints because the cushion against the wall was fixed, so if you wanted to seat 4 people, it was too tight there was no flexibility. Lastly, that dinette was heavy. About 100 lbs more than the existing dinette.

We buy that from the same supplier, it is just a different design. Now they did have an issue with their velcro attachment for the cushions. They should be using smaller strips and sewing them in or screwing them down..and we can certainly resolve any issue there. I am not happy with how that was installed.

SO the new dinette...to make it into a bed, you use the back cushions, no need for a ship loose cushions taking up space. It is lighter by about 75-100lbs. The cushions against the wall is lose, so you can still lean back against it, or you can remove it when seating (4). When made into a bed, you get 68" instead of roughly 54".

All in all we saved about 235lbs....which is important for CCC. Because if we had all that stuff back in, and you can't carry cargo, or kids/grand kids/neighbor/friends we would be called to the carpet for that as well.

So my apologies that you were not made aware of the changes. We did make our dealers aware of the changes and explained why, that doesn't always trickle down. I have talked to my people about how to adjust the velcro attachment points and we can make sure those are repaired in an acceptable manner.

All of these changes were done to make the product more reliable and lighter, not to cheapen it or save money. Trust me, I put those things in because I liked them. But, on a light weight chassis....we had to find some things to compromise.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #3

Wow. Fantastic response from Dynamax! Nicely done.
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

Never ceases to impress me the amount of thoughtfulness and ingenuity that goes into optimizing these rigs, no matter the price point. It's a lot to consider for certain!

The detailed responses and explanations are the icing on the cake IMO
Old 03-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Having gone through 5 TTs and 1.5 5rs, there comes a time wen one wants to know what's going to be in what you order. Finally found a manufacturer that actually answers emails and gives a phone number of their sales/service contact at the company site. They told us what was going to change from the show and some more changes later on - wow. We got the farmers sink, but couldn't wait for the 2 step into the bedroom. The rep. gave us the build date and VIN.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Pete&Joni

Brian (bclemens). Can you publish photos of the dinette, bath sink/vanity, and shower door for the Isata 3s that are now being built (2018s)? Also are there any other notable changes or aesthetics (color) changes before I order?
Pjeoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Here is the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.52.20 A.png
Views:	140
Size:	896.8 KB
ID:	132287  

Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #8

Brian, with the changes made in 2018 to save weight, what was the total increase in CCC due to these changes?

Thanks
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We change things as a result of complaints and customer feedback, but unfortunately it is impossible for us to please everyone.

The vessel bowl was a mixed bag. We saw some shattering in the field due to heat and people hitting the edge. You would be just as disappointed when the bowl arrived shattered. So while we loved the styling (not everyone did), we did not like the complaints we received. In addition we received complaints about wanting more CCC. That bowl was 30lbs, stainless was about 4lbs. Almost every other manufacturer that I have looked at, uses a plastic sink in the bathroom. We did not stoop that low, we instead changed to a lighter, more durable stainless steel sink. Left the higher end faucet as well, not the plastic ones others run. This was not about "cost savings" it was about weight savings and something that will withstand the test of time in a harsh use environment.

Countertops were the same thing. It all came down to weight. The first units were coming back with a CCC that was too low, so we had to shed weight.

We also changed the shower door. The glass doors were 75lbs versus 10 lbs for an arcadia shower door. The arcadia is a plastic door that is embossed to look like the common "rain" glass finish, but it also has a curved arc at the top that allows for more shoulder room. Unlike a curtain, it attaches at the top AND the bottom to keep water in. We also looked at at the other high end builders (Leisure travel and Winnebago). Both of them use the "Shub", now called "Nautilus" shower door which is just a thin plastic screen that runs straight across. We felt, the Arcadia was a lightweight option that offered additional benefits over a plastic screen.

Dinette. The first dinette, no doubt, looks good. The issue again was complaints. Because the backs were fixed...you had to have a bolster cushion shipped lose so that you can make it into a bed. That means a large bulky item that was going to have to be stored somewhere. Also, because the back cushions were fixed, it means when made into a bed, it made a smaller bed. Also, we got complaints because the cushion against the wall was fixed, so if you wanted to seat 4 people, it was too tight there was no flexibility. Lastly, that dinette was heavy. About 100 lbs more than the existing dinette.

We buy that from the same supplier, it is just a different design. Now they did have an issue with their velcro attachment for the cushions. They should be using smaller strips and sewing them in or screwing them down..and we can certainly resolve any issue there. I am not happy with how that was installed.

SO the new dinette...to make it into a bed, you use the back cushions, no need for a ship loose cushions taking up space. It is lighter by about 75-100lbs. The cushions against the wall is lose, so you can still lean back against it, or you can remove it when seating (4). When made into a bed, you get 68" instead of roughly 54".

All in all we saved about 235lbs....which is important for CCC. Because if we had all that stuff back in, and you can't carry cargo, or kids/grand kids/neighbor/friends we would be called to the carpet for that as well.

So my apologies that you were not made aware of the changes. We did make our dealers aware of the changes and explained why, that doesn't always trickle down. I have talked to my people about how to adjust the velcro attachment points and we can make sure those are repaired in an acceptable manner.

All of these changes were done to make the product more reliable and lighter, not to cheapen it or save money. Trust me, I put those things in because I liked them. But, on a light weight chassis....we had to find some things to compromise.
Excellent response. Seeing how we had just been to dealer today looking at them and they had the glass bowel. Did not care for it for the reason posted. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Brian, with the changes made in 2018 to save weight, what was the total increase in CCC due to these changes?

Thanks
In that post, I think I said 235lbs roughly.

Most of our CCC was coming back in the 600lbs range. I think that went into the 800-900 range, but now everyone seems to be getting 4 point jacks, which takes it back to the 700lbs range.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #11

Brian

In looking at the 2017-8's online, I noticed that a flip-up kitchen counter extension was added. Is this something that can be retrofitted to older units? If so, is it a do it yourself item or a dealer add-on? I can't believe it is too complicated.
Thanks.
hfpnt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Its the countertop and the bracket. Pretty easy. Where it gets tricky is using countersinking /cone head screws so they sit flush with the bracket and allow it to work properly. ALSO, making sure there is backer. That heavy extension gives you a pretty nice lever to torque the heck out of your base cabinet.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

retro changes to reduce weight

Our Isata 3 has the glass sink, the heavier shower doors, etc. This being our first rv, I was not aware of CCC concerns. I will be getting it weighed soon, but with a 900 lb. limit, (and I am not 'petite'), I am very concerned about reducing our combine weight when possible. I have already decided not to carry our new grill, that can utilize the handy propane hookup, on an upcoming trip. What is involved in replacing the shower door with the new version? Is the new bathroom counter the same dimensions? Any other suggestions on how to get the cargo weight higher? I should have read up more on this, but cargo limits in the 700 to 900 range are not realistic, in my opinion. Thanks.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Commercial Member

The arcadia shower would be a pretty easy install. Similar to what is in there now. Might even be able to keep the current shower and just replace the glass with plastic panels. You could convert to a composite toilet (same location) save another 10-15 lbs.