Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #21

we overnight in rest areas or Walmart, unless we need A/C, then we go to a campground with electric.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
We are fairly new to this as well and I’m curious what bad experiences you’ve had.
We have had more positive expeiriences than negative by far but here are a couple of the bad ones. A couple of years ago, Cracker Barrell in Chattanooga had some crack head knocking on the door at 4:30 am. I didn't open the door or communicate in any way with him. Let's just say I was prepared in case the situation escalated. When he left we got up and moved along. Last week in Indiana ( not sure where exactly ) we pulled into a truck stop fueled up and tried to find a parking spot. I have a 33' coach and was pulling a small trailer with a SxS on it. It was raining and almost no light in the parking area. There was only one spot open. The rows of big rigs were too close together to get backed up between other Trucks. Truth be told...if I could have talked the DW to get out in the rain and directly me we MAYBE could have done it. My camera lens was wet and I couldn't see. So on we went and pulled into a rest area that was full so I parked on the shoulder of the exit ramp. There was a 4 or 5 inch drop off of the blacktop so we were sitting very unlevel and right next to the painted lie of the road. It made for an unpleasant experience with the amount of travelers zooming past so close. I generally look for a place that is more rural in nature. One time we pulled into a Walmart or Costco and there was a strip mall directly accross the side street. I didn't realize that there was a sports bar in that mall. The people streaming out at closing time and all of the chaos in the parking lot after last call was too much to take so we moved on. Like I said, nothing too bad I am just looking for better alternatives. I like the suggestions that have been given here. We usually start travel after my work day so the first night of driving I am only good for 4 or 5 hours. Our return trips we usually run straight through.
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #23

We have Wal-martted, used rest areas, and other commercial lots, but our favorites are Lowe's and Home Depot. They are usually located close to the Walmarts and Lowe's usually has wifi and it stays on at night. We will always call prior to closing times and talk with a manager. They usually say it is fine as long as we don't block their trucks coming in early morning.

We have also found that if we know about where we are going to be stopping, using google earth, we will find a church parking lot that is large and call the church to make sure it's okay to pull in. It is amazing how many of them think it's a great idea.

We have only had one problem while staying in a p/l and this occurred our first night in our new fifth wheel. Our PDI lasted a bit longer than we figured, so we finally got on the road about 4pm on a Friday coming out of the Cincinnati area. Traffic was heavy and slow. We had reservations in Gadsden, AL and would be meeting up with our friends at the campground, which closed their gates at 9 pm. We hit Knoxville and knew we were not going to make it to Gadsden before they closed, so we started looking for campgrounds. We could find NOTHING with openings. I called the local Walmart and spoke with a manager and they told us to come on in. We arrived about 10:00 pm and got the windows open to get some ventilation through the camper, went in to Walmart to grab a few items for morning and hit the bed. About 4 am, I woke up and could not go back to sleep. I went and opened the front door and sat down. A few minutes later, a man came walking across the parking lot toward our camper. I reached back in and picked up my "equalizer" and placed it on my lap. When he got about 20 feet from me, I just put up my hand for him to stop and he did. He began telling me this sob story about how his house had burned and he had 3 kids that he needed to take care of, etc. After a couple of minutes, I told him that he needed to be with his kids, wherever they were and he needed to be on his way. He stood there for a few minutes and then he was off. I saw him walk around the front of the truck, so I walked that way, but he had crossed the road toward McDonald's.

DH got up when I got back in the fifth wheel and asked me who I was talking to. I headed back to bed and he sat in the doorway for a while.

We are usually pretty comfy in most places, but there have been times that we have headed on down the road - even from campgrounds that we did not feel comfortable in.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #24
Love my Rev

I have enjoyed reading all these posts , and we too stay mostly in places other than campgrounds because we are just out traveling and not camping , Have never had a bad experience and we are sound sleepers so no problems with truck noise. Also not worried about trouble as I always carry my loaded gun - not sure but - other guys " protection and equalizers , ect " are probably not clubs and sticks either / also used to own a campground for 16 years around Panama City area and never charged anyone more than $20 for overnight and normally less than that
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
We are Wally World experts, have never had one problem staying at one. Also Cracker Barrell, Truck Stops, Rest Areas even McDonalds. We always ask and have never been told no.

Do you have “MasterBlaster” emblazoned on the sides of you rigs? ;-)

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #26

I usually stay at Flying J's, in the back of the car lot with the bobtail trucks if there are no designated RV spots. It is nice and noisy with all the diesels and generators running. For me this is good. I run the generator all night long, if I need A/C or heat.

If no FJ available, I look for a nice rest area with restaurants. I don't feel comfortable at Wally World in an unknown area - not sure I would stay in the one near home, which is in a decent area. Campground is a last resort and if just overnight, I do just electric and water.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have Wal-martted, used rest areas, and other commercial lots, but our favorites are Lowe's and Home Depot. They are usually located close to the Walmarts and Lowe's usually has wifi and it stays on at night. We will always call prior to closing times and talk with a manager. They usually say it is fine as long as we don't block their trucks coming in early morning.

We have also found that if we know about where we are going to be stopping, using google earth, we will find a church parking lot that is large and call the church to make sure it's okay to pull in. It is amazing how many of them think it's a great idea.

We have only had one problem while staying in a p/l and this occurred our first night in our new fifth wheel. Our PDI lasted a bit longer than we figured, so we finally got on the road about 4pm on a Friday coming out of the Cincinnati area. Traffic was heavy and slow. We had reservations in Gadsden, AL and would be meeting up with our friends at the campground, which closed their gates at 9 pm. We hit Knoxville and knew we were not going to make it to Gadsden before they closed, so we started looking for campgrounds. We could find NOTHING with openings. I called the local Walmart and spoke with a manager and they told us to come on in. We arrived about 10:00 pm and got the windows open to get some ventilation through the camper, went in to Walmart to grab a few items for morning and hit the bed. About 4 am, I woke up and could not go back to sleep. I went and opened the front door and sat down. A few minutes later, a man came walking across the parking lot toward our camper. I reached back in and picked up my "equalizer" and placed it on my lap. When he got about 20 feet from me, I just put up my hand for him to stop and he did. He began telling me this sob story about how his house had burned and he had 3 kids that he needed to take care of, etc. After a couple of minutes, I told him that he needed to be with his kids, wherever they were and he needed to be on his way. He stood there for a few minutes and then he was off. I saw him walk around the front of the truck, so I walked that way, but he had crossed the road toward McDonald's.

DH got up when I got back in the fifth wheel and asked me who I was talking to. I headed back to bed and he sat in the doorway for a while.

We are usually pretty comfy in most places, but there have been times that we have headed on down the road - even from campgrounds that we did not feel comfortable in.
I know that wal-mart. I drive past it almost every day. It is not really in a bad area of town, but bad things happen everywhere. I am glad it worked out ok for you.