Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Pesky lil front slide leak

My living room slide is the one that leaks in heavy rain. Slides are sealed when closed. .. flush against exterior wall. Exterior has two seals, one on exterior wall of coach, *the other on back side of facia thus creating a tight seal when properly adjusted. .. and it is.*

When slide is open, *the bulb seal on interior wall meets with back side of interior trim facia creating a tight seal when properly adjusted... and it is.

The other rubber seals, one inner and one outter along top and sides are wiper seals only... *

My problem is water pooling on top of the slide and seeping through the wiper seals and running down interior trim facia to the floor. Its not getting through wall seals.

My question is, *should there be a slight pitch to the slide to keep water from pooling like that. If so, is there an adjustment that can be made without compromising the the wall seals that appear to be doing their job.*

Water sitting on the top like that will eventually work its way under the wiper seals... unless my wiper seals are not installed correctly. ..

Suggestions appreciated thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Slide awnings?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Yes.. all Dynamax Dx3 have toppers... sorry guess I should have mentioned that.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Can you see on the top of the slide? We started putting a strip of grip tape, to help the side seal go back out (so it did not get stuck facing inside when the slide is moved out).

There is a slight pitch with the way the slide operates, but if not exactly level might cancel it out. Or if it is polling faster than it can shed. can you see if lowering that side a bit helps?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Yes it has the grip strips, yes, the wiper seal is in the proper postion. Yes did have to tilt coach to drain water.. shouldn't have to I wouldn't think.. coach is perfectly level, I'm not getting pitch on slide, it's perfectly level as well.

The water seems to just be sitting there. Bedroom slide sheds water fine and carpenter level shows about 4% pitch whereas front slide shows 0%...

Sorry, I don't know a lot about slides thats why I was wondering could I adjust pitch without disrupting sealing.

I see adjustments under slide but cant find any info online about adjustments other than squaring it up by measuring distance on each end. Thats within a 1/2" but seals nicely.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Talked about this in staff. Slide room should have a 1" drop from wall of the coach to the exterior slide fascia when the slide is extended. (1/2" for a 35DS). I didn't have your floor plan at that time. Now that I do, I'll see if that rings any bells.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Any information will be helpful. It has the drop as you described just no pitch. The 1/2" I mentioned is outside measurements from bottom of facia of slide room to sidewall of coach. The rear of the slide extends 1/2" further out than opposite side. But when extended or retracted it appears to seal tight.

Please let me know if you find out any additional information. . Appreciated. I want to figure this out.. call me anal but no water intrusion is not allowed. . ;-)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

Is your unit level? Water should not be pooling on top of the slide. If you are out on the road, tilt you unit a little more to the slide side. When you get back home, find out why the slide is not tilting naturally. imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Thx
Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #10

Okay.. slide adjustment up, down, side to side. Rail adjustment disengage gear shaft to square.. thats it. No tilt. I'll have to tilt coach slightly in order to shed water. No biggie.. it doesn't take much.. that is all. ;-)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #11

Horrible storm hit Orlando last week when we were at Disney. I was pretty sure there would be roof damage (luckily nothing happened). But we did have water come in from the rear AC unit. I think it was blowing in, but it was odd. I am hoping it wasn't a leak issue, only time will tell
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
Commercial Member

All those roof top A/C's are notorious for needing re-torqued. There is a foam gasket that seals to the roof. That can compress and shift if not tightened properly. I'll see if I can track down the spec, but that would be my first inspection

Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #13

Brian is correct, that's common on most motorhomes. Just dont over tighten them or they'll leak even worse... a little snug usually does the trick.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

I had also read on a few posts about the A/C unit that if there is high humidity, you have to turn the unit to high and not auto. When it runs on auto, the cycling can create condensation in the unit that drips out like a leak. So I will have to try to check the tightness and run on high during humidity.
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
Commercial Member

We were running Atwood (and hope to be again, but they ran out during the Dometic purchase). This was their installation guide...4.4 ft lbs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf doc09921620160330110229.pdf (136.2 KB, 30 views)

Old 03-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #16

Thank you for the help, will check it this weekend.
halla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide