Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Don't plug the cord into a GFI outlet. They often don't play well with each other. Use a non-GFI outlet.

As suggested above, don’t plug into a GFI outlet in your house. Try a non GFI circuit first.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timecritic View Post
I have turned off the 50amp breaker in the coach(this will shut off any gfi outlet in the coach). Shut off the master switch for the coach batteries. It will pop any breaker, GFI or not, in the house. Doesn't make sense. If I turn off the coach battery power, and plug it into the house. It shouldn't do anything till I allow power to go through it. Also it makes a loud pop in the coach every time the breaker blows in the house.
This is not a 12 volt issue. You are correct. Turning off the main will eliminate the RV Except for ANY connections between the main breaker and the shore power. Do you have a volt meter? You need to check ALL the connections coming into the RV. Does it plug into the side? Is it hard wired? Is it on a cord reel? Disconnect from the Transfer switch and plug in again. Check all connection in the transfer switch.

With the male end plugged into shore power and the female end disconnected and did not pop a breaker then the problem is between the coach entry and the main breaker.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #23

There’s the reel at the back of the rv. Then there is conduit running all the way to the front into the surge guard. This is where I hear a thud when the breaker pops.Then it looks like conduit running all the way to the back of the rv. I’m guessing it goes right to the breaker in the coach bedroom. I can grab my volt meter today. The cover of the surge protector will need to come off to test anything?

Thanks for the replies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D04B75C7-1AE1-44FC-A875-F19404A5F2F7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	202684  
Timecritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #24

Quote:
There’s the reel at the back of the rv. Then there is conduit running all the way to the front into the surge guard. This is where I hear a thud when the breaker pops.Then it looks like conduit running all the way back to the rv again. I’m guessing it goes right to the breaker in the coach bedroom?

Thanks for the replies
remove that cover and disconnect the input shore wires. Plug in and report back. Don't short anything out. place wirenuts on the ends of the wire. This is electric trouble shooting 101.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks I will try both ideas today. It didn’t pop a breaker with the rv not plugged into it. Not sure if that will dictate a bad dog bone connector
this means you dogbone and cord are good. problem in in the RV.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
As suggested above, don’t plug into a GFI outlet in your house. Try a non GFI circuit first.
OP stated in post 16 it pops breakers GFI or not.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #27

You started off by saying it pops the “gfi breaker”. Then, later said it pops “any breaker gfi or not”.

When you use the term “breaker” you are talking about the circuit breakers in the house’s main distribution panel, right?
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post
You started off by saying it pops the “gfi breaker”. Then, later said it pops “any breaker gfi or not”.

When you use the term “breaker” you are talking about the circuit breakers in the house’s main distribution panel, right?
See post #16
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #29

....the reason I ask this is that a gfi can protect multiple outlets. These outlets may not be labeled gfi but they are actually downstream of gfi so still part of that circuit. If you are plugging into another one of these outlets thinking you are not on the gfi, well you still are.

But, If you are popping various breakers at the house distribution box, then that will eliminate gfi from the troubleshooting...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #30

Quote:
....the reason I ask this is that a gfi can protect multiple outlets. These outlets may not be labeled gfi but they are actually downstream of gfi so still part of that circuit. If you are plugging into another one of these outlets thinking you are not on the gfi, well you still are.

But, If you are popping various breakers at the house distribution box, then that will eliminate gfi from the troubleshooting...
My garage at the house has gfi. It pops this one. I ran an extension cord inside the house to eliminate gfi. Pops the breaker in the basement as well
Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Basement outlets are normally GFI, depending on how old the house is. Code is all unfinished basements must be GFI protected.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #32
Commercial Member

And there were no issue plugged into 50A at the dealership?

Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Basement outlets are normally GFI, depending on how old the house is. Code is all unfinished basements must be GFI protected.
Breaker box is in the basement. Didn’t run a power cord all the way down there
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
And there were no issue plugged into 50A at the dealership?
Nope was plugged in there
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #35

I sent you a PM
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #36

Have you disconnected the transfer switch yet?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #37

Could your Hot lead and your Neutral lead on you house outlet plugs be wired opposite from what the RV plug is expecting? Think about it. Hot lead coming from house going to neutral side of RV panel—that would describe the symptoms you are having. Worth a check.

You could plug Rv into a friends house to test theory before tearing into RV.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Could your Hot lead and your Neutral lead on you house outlet plugs be wired opposite from what the RV plug is expecting? Think about it. Hot lead coming from house going to neutral side of RV panel—that would describe he symptoms you are having. Worth a check.

You could plug Rv into a friends house to test theory before tearing into RV.
That, I think was the same thing that happened on the bad wired dog-bone. The wiring was rotated one spot...so a hot was on a neutral bar? or something like that.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #39

Yep, it would make sense why it worked at dealer but not home. And why flipping the RV circuit breaker has no impact....If backwards, the circuit breaker is just interrupting house neutral but the hot lead is sill being connected to neutral at the RV.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Yep, it would make sense why it worked at dealer but not home. And why flipping the RV circuit breaker has no impact....If backwards, the circuit breaker is just interrupting house neutral but the hot lead is sill being connected to neutral at the RV.
this is way I am asking the OP to disconnect from the Transfer switch. If it still tripped the next step will be to disconnect from the cord real. Electric trouble shooting 101.