Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Im just glad your asking a question for future purposes which means your still in the motorhome business. You cant leave man. Your the " Crush "...

Thanks bud, I dropped the RV off AGAIN and we'll see what happens. I told a friend of mine who purchased a new toy hauler that all RV's (Class A, C, trailers, toy haulers, bumper pulls, it doesn't matter) are rolling turds. There's simply no way you're going to drive a mobile home at 80 mph down the highway and not expect something to break.

So far, he says I was right and he's only owned it for 3 months.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #42
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
It is possible there could be 2 sources but the non-potable source would have to be very close to the dump station, otherwise, its very unlikely that the campground owner would pay for buried piping any distance from the non-potable source. It's much cheaper to install a backflow preventer device to protect the potable water lines.
Very possible, but why would you take a chance!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Thanks bud, I dropped the RV off AGAIN and we'll see what happens. I told a friend of mine who purchased a new toy hauler that all RV's (Class A, C, trailers, toy haulers, bumper pulls, it doesn't matter) are rolling turds. There's simply no way you're going to drive a mobile home at 80 mph down the highway and not expect something to break.

So far, he says I was right and he's only owned it for 3 months.

Mark
LOL... My neighbor has a Class A DP and he swears RV stands for Repair Vehicle.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Just so it was said... I use to drink Dasani bottled water (I like the taste of it) but a friend of mine who sells water filtration systems came over one day and performed a series of tests on bottled water in front of me.

Needless to say, I switch to aquafina bottled water after he showed me the results. Like someone mentioned, half the water we drink we have no idea if it's good or bad. I'm not using non potable water but I ain't skeered using water from my garden hose at my shop or house.

Mark
I believe that Aquafina is a reverse osmosis filtered water. Do some research on drinking it. Reverse osmosis water is VERY pure, but it becomes a chemical vacuum. When the water passes through the body it takes vitamins and minerals with it. In my career I deal with all types of purified water. I have seen rubber gaskets and brass fittings deteriorate with long term use of R.O. water. I like to use it to make coffee because of its ability to draw all of the flavor out of the coffee bean
Old 10-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbaldguy View Post
I believe that Aquafina is a reverse osmosis filtered water. Do some research on drinking it. Reverse osmosis water is VERY pure, but it becomes a chemical vacuum. When the water passes through the body it takes vitamins and minerals with it. In my career I deal with all types of purified water. I have seen rubber gaskets and brass fittings deteriorate with long term use of R.O. water. I like to use it to make coffee because of its ability to draw all of the flavor out of the coffee bean

Aquafina is remineralized. Not sure if that make it less prone to leaching stuff from the body?
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #46

I helped build a drinking water plant. Was wondering where the giant bay doors were that would allow trucks to bring in the water.
No doors simple city connection.
Laughed.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #47
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
simple city connection.
"But, I don't drink the water" Yes, yes you do. lmao.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #48

Quote:
What’s wrong with using a garden hose attracted to your house?

Mark
Pretty much nothing if you don't mind the taste. I would at least run the water long enough to flush out the water that might have been sitting in it and POSSIBLY leeching out chemicals from the hose itself. That said, most of us flush the hose anyway because we prefer the cooler water than what's been heating up in the sun.

I've been drinking from garden hoses for well over 70 years and no issues. I worry more about walking across the street to pick up my mail.

As for obtaining "potable" water while on the road, unless I stay in a campground with hookups I add a couple teaspoons of Chlorox to the tank before filling from a service station hose bib, etc, using my hose. According to Chlorox this is the right amount for unknown quality water sources for approximately 40 gallons. It mixes in tank as I drive and any residual taste is removed from the water by my filter (which I have left installed where the factory put it so I have filtration on my tank water).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Aquafina is remineralized. Not sure if that make it less prone to leaching stuff from the body?
As are many other brands purified by RO.
Even the inexpensive Great Value brand from Wally World.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #50

Issues anyone use a spray bottle with bleach as part of their RV supply ? I would think there could be a risk of contamination on the valve or end of fresh water hose if you are hooking directly to the RV. Seems that you’d want to spray the end of the hose and rinse well before connecting ? Wouldn’t there be risk as RV’ers
Messing with the black water hose for sites where the water and sewer hook ups are at the side?
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #51

Shower Miser

My 2019 Flagstaff Trailer came with a great device called a shower Miser. It allows you to run your shower until the water gets hot without filling your grey water tank. The water is diverted back to the potable water tank. Very cool. It has tubing which changes color as it gets warm so you know when you have hot water at the shower. For this thread another feature is that it provides an easy way to fill your potable water tank. Just turn on the cold shower faucet and turn the shower miser to bypass and it fills the potable tank from the water source the trailer is connected at. They sell kits for retro fitting trailers.
hreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Campgrounds likely won’t have more than one water source. The supply line to the non-potable hose at the dump station will have a backflow preventer on it to protect the source water. The contamination comes from the nozzle end and how people use that hose.
What he said.

I would not trust the water from the backflow preventer outwards.
Bugs can swim...

The water filters in the camper do not remove bacteria and virus found in non-potable water sources.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Okay guys, I’m not using nor ever have considered using non potable water in my fresh water tank. I just wanted to understand what it was that made it non potable.

Having said that, why shouldn’t I use my garden hose to fill my fresh water tank? We’ve all drank from a garden hose, swam in it when I used it to fill a pool and have even bathed in it. What’s wrong with using a garden hose attracted to your house?

Mark
I use a 150' garden type hose to fill my tank at home before we leave and then again from a faucet at the campground if we need more potable water. I only use it for the RV, but it's not one of the "dedicated" fresh water RV hoses.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #54

To the OP....short answer is God No!
Never.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #55

I fill my water tank with a regular garden hose. We only use potable water but we have no intention of drinking it. I drank from a garden hose practically everyday during the summers when I was a kid. I didn't die. We bathe, wash dishes, shower and flush the toilet with it. Too much of a hassle to worry about using it for consumption. For that, we cook and drink bottled water.

Something we do when we bring the camper out of storage, is put a few ounces of bleach in the tank and fill it up at home. We drive to our destination and let it slosh in there. Then before we arrive I just open up the drain to the fresh water tank and drain the water out on the road. We top the tank off at the fresh water fill station.

Like I said, we don't drink from the fresh water tank. But I wouldn't worry about it too much if water from my shower splashed in my mouth or I forgot and brushed my teeth using the faucet water. I'm pretty sure I've unknowingly consumed worse in my life.
diver165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #56
Site Team - Lou

Would you still drink from the garden hose if you knew your neighbor borrowed it regularly to clean out his sewer pipes?

Just sayin'
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Would you still drink from the garden hose if you knew your neighbor borrowed it regularly to clean out his sewer pipes?

Just sayin'
nope! But goes back to the last line on my post LOL!
diver165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #58
Trailer Park Supervisor

diver, see post 47. Just drink it! It's good for you and your wallet.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #59

Quote:
So I fill up our fresh water tank from the garden hose at my home or some place I "trust".

I have never used the hoses around the dump tanks for anything other than flushing my hose out but I do have a question.

Just because water is labelled "not potable", can you still use it in your fresh water tank to shower and wash dishes with? I don't drink the water from my RV anyway (always buy bottled water).

What makes it not potable? Does the filter in the RV and refrigerator filter it to make it potable?

Just curious.

Mark
Here's a head scratcher. I was on the ferry from ellis island to statue of liberty when I noticed a sign above a spigot. The sign painted on the wall said "portable water". I did not know that there was non portable water
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #60
Canadian Member

A lot of folks here say "we don't drink it" (referring to the water from their FW tank) but they shower in it, wash their hands and face with it, maybe even brush their teeth with it. IMO, if it comes anywhere near your mouth or your hands, it needs to be potable water. Either sanitize your FW tank regularly or use the water for nothing except the toilet. Using a regular garden hose won't kill you but using a proper hose is much better choice.

Just my opinion.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water