Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
BSG

Power Help Please

So I have an Isata 5. Currently the panel or coach lights, etc. will not power up unless I run the engine. Coach batteries are not disconnected. No breakers are tripped. Batteries are charged. If I press the AUX 2 switch, the panel and lights WILL work without motor running. Weird as I thought that was for starting vehicle if chassis batteries were dead. So if I also start and run the motor the panel and lights WILL work. When I shut off the motor, power remains for another 5 or so minutes then everything dies. Even after it dies, I can still use the inverter to power appliances but no panel or lights etc. there is no charge if also running the generator. Who has the magic answer ??????? Thank you
BSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

By the panel, I assume you mean a Precision Plex panel, right?

Have you made any changes to your inverter recently?
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

Sorry for the dumb question, but how did you verify the batteries are charged?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
BSG

Yes the precision Plex panel. No changes to inverter
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
BSG

When the precision plex panel is on (coach running) I can see both chassis and house batteries are charged. Also the solar panel charger shows as well
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 AM   #6

Power Help Please

Here is a link to the electrical bay layout diagram (#17) . Make sure your battery disconnect isn’t off. Did the dealer winterize your coach by chance and maybe turn it off?

Disconnect not working with Multi-plex (In Theory)
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1858754

Beyond this and I’m beyond my depth.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

The AUX switch simply connects the two different battery banks, the Chassis batteries and the House batteries, and the flow of power works both ways - whether you need the additional power to start the Vehicle, or to start the Generator, or to provide power to the 12v items in the RV, etc.

What the use of the AUX switch tells me, though, is that either you actually have the 'Use/Store' switch in the 'store' mode, the switch or solenoid for the 'Use/Store' switch is not working properly, or the House battery bank is very low.

I'm confused that the Inverter could still be powering the fridge - but, because it is a separate device, it may be attached to the House battery bank on it's own, bypassing the 'use/store' switch, and it may have enough power to continue operating, even though the 'use/store' switch's solenoid may not be staying latched effectively for the 12v items.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG View Post
So I have an Isata 5. Currently the panel or coach lights, etc. will not power up unless I run the engine. Coach batteries are not disconnected. No breakers are tripped. Batteries are charged. If I press the AUX 2 switch, the panel and lights WILL work without motor running. Weird as I thought that was for starting vehicle if chassis batteries were dead. So if I also start and run the motor the panel and lights WILL work. When I shut off the motor, power remains for another 5 or so minutes then everything dies. Even after it dies, I can still use the inverter to power appliances but no panel or lights etc. there is no charge if also running the generator. Who has the magic answer ??????? Thank you
Aux 2 "connects the HOUSE and the CHASSIS batteries". So when you say "I thought it was used for starting" you are correct...if one set is dead, it connects them all together so you can use the other one to get started. IT SHOULD BE a momentary switch. You have to hold it down. If not, then it was likely changed to a constant switch in the up fitter settings.

If the lights are not running unless you start the engine, then that tells me (as others have mentioned) the house batteries are LOW or SHOT and when you start the engine, the alternator senses that and is charging the house batteries (thus providing 14 volts of power).

If you are using the multiplex panel to see the battery level...that will only tell you what they are if nothing else is plugged in and running. IF you have the engine running or are plugged in, then it is reading the charge line NOT the battery. If you have solar, it will read the solar charging voltage.

If you press the AUX 2 and the lights will work without the engine running, then you are using the Chassis batteries then (in parallel) to operate the house lights.

When you shut off the motor, then the device that connects the house and chassis batteries together for charging sees that the house batteries are low. It will disconnect everything to prevent you from draining the chassis batteries.

If you run the generator...it should be charging the house batteries ass long as the inverter is set properly.

Which inverter do you have? Xantrex or magnum?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Great simple explanation of how my I5 works BD, thanks.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
BSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
The AUX switch simply connects the two different battery banks, the Chassis batteries and the House batteries, and the flow of power works both ways - whether you need the additional power to start the Vehicle, or to start the Generator, or to provide power to the 12v items in the RV, etc.

What the use of the AUX switch tells me, though, is that either you actually have the 'Use/Store' switch in the 'store' mode, the switch or solenoid for the 'Use/Store' switch is not working properly, or the House battery bank is very low.

I'm confused that the Inverter could still be powering the fridge - but, because it is a separate device, it may be attached to the House battery bank on it's own, bypassing the 'use/store' switch, and it may have enough power to continue operating, even though the 'use/store' switch's solenoid may not be staying latched effectively for the 12v items.
Where is the use/store switch. Are you referring to latch /momentary in AUX setup?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
BSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Aux 2 "connects the HOUSE and the CHASSIS batteries". So when you say "I thought it was used for starting" you are correct...if one set is dead, it connects them all together so you can use the other one to get started. IT SHOULD BE a momentary switch. You have to hold it down. If not, then it was likely changed to a constant switch in the up fitter settings.

If the lights are not running unless you start the engine, then that tells me (as others have mentioned) the house batteries are LOW or SHOT and when you start the engine, the alternator senses that and is charging the house batteries (thus providing 14 volts of power).

If you are using the multiplex panel to see the battery level...that will only tell you what they are if nothing else is plugged in and running. IF you have the engine running or are plugged in, then it is reading the charge line NOT the battery. If you have solar, it will read the solar charging voltage.

If you press the AUX 2 and the lights will work without the engine running, then you are using the Chassis batteries then (in parallel) to operate the house lights.

When you shut off the motor, then the device that connects the house and chassis batteries together for charging sees that the house batteries are low. It will disconnect everything to prevent you from draining the chassis batteries.

If you run the generator...it should be charging the house batteries ass long as the inverter is set properly.

Which inverter do you have? Xantrex or magnum?
Solid response BC. I did confirm The AUX was setup as latching. I did switch it to momentary. So when the chassis batteries died. Is it fair to say that the house batteries need to be replaced or should I plug in to shore to charge? I’m guessing that I’m not finding the right way to get a house battery reading. It is Magnum
Old 04-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #12

The use/store switch is the battery disconnect switch I referenced before with that diagram. Were you able to verify it is on?

The reason I asked about the inverter is because I discovered once that I had accidentally turned off the charger after experiencing the same situation as you describe. My batteries were actually completely dead even though the coach was on shore power. If you have a Magnum then there is a charger on/off button.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
BSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
The use/store switch is the battery disconnect switch I referenced before with that diagram. Were you able to verify it is on?

The reason I asked about the inverter is because I discovered once that I had accidentally turned off the charger after experiencing the same situation as you describe. My batteries were actually completely dead even though the coach was on shore power. If you have a Magnum then there is a charger on/off button.
It is a magnum. I didn't know the battery disconnect switch is also referred to as use/store. Yes i am sure the switch is in use mode and not store, hence not disconnected.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
Commercial Member

What you describe in your original post indicates the batteries are dead. The inverter is "pass-through"....so you may still get 110V IF you are plugged in, but I thought you said you were not plugged in??? So the appliances running do not make any sense.

This same thing happened to me at a show. I could not get the "Charger" to activate even though I KNEW we were plugged in. Also did not have 12V power. We were using an extension cord and 50A-30A adaptor (well I should say the show set up people were) and a 30A-20A adaptor. this was then plugged into an LED plug...so we know we had at least 20A power to the plug. However, we tightened the attachment to the coach, then we push that plug a little further in and suddenly it lit up and the charging light on the inverter lit up.

can you send a picture of the inverter panel and settings. let us know what your power source is??? That will help is figure out where things went wrong.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
BSG

Quote:
What you describe in your original post indicates the batteries are dead. The inverter is "pass-through"....so you may still get 110V IF you are plugged in, but I thought you said you were not plugged in??? So the appliances running do not make any sense.

This same thing happened to me at a show. I could not get the "Charger" to activate even though I KNEW we were plugged in. Also did not have 12V power. We were using an extension cord and 50A-30A adaptor (well I should say the show set up people were) and a 30A-20A adaptor. this was then plugged into an LED plug...so we know we had at least 20A power to the plug. However, we tightened the attachment to the coach, then we push that plug a little further in and suddenly it lit up and the charging light on the inverter lit up.

can you send a picture of the inverter panel and settings. let us know what your power source is??? That will help is figure out where things went wrong.
Hope this pic gives just enough visual for what you are looking for. (an older pic I already have)The sole power source had been letting the engine run or with generator running. The inverter does power up the appliances when there is no shore power nor the generator or chassis engine running. I do have to make sure that the house batteries are NOT disconnected so that the Magnum panel lights up which allows me to hit the inverter button.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1555440571
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	201904  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Sorry, I need the inside panel to see the settings.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG View Post
The inverter does power up the appliances when there is no shore power nor the generator or chassis engine running. I do have to make sure that the house batteries are NOT disconnected so that the Magnum panel lights up which allows me to hit the inverter button.
The inverter WILL power up the appliances with no shore power, no generator and no engine running. It is inverting the battery power. But with no power source and a residential fridge and only two batteries, you're lucky to last 6-8 hours depending on usage.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Who did you buy this Isata 5 from? This should have all been part of the dealer walk through (we hope) to sort of lay out how everything works.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
BSG

Quote:
Sorry, I need the inside panel to see the settings.
Thanks... I'll do this and run through some of the other ideas and report back.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #20
BSG

Looks like I need to replace the batteries. Anyone have an opinion on the best replacement for 4?
AGM Or LifePO4 ??????????

Tags
power