Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Power management system

Plugged into 15 amp power at home but power management screen on plex panel says 50 amp where before it always gave me the choice of 15, 20 or 30, if not plugged into 50 amp. Rear ac is working but front is not where before, when not on 50 amp, only front ac worked and rear did not. Any ideas what is going on? Don't want to fry anything or harm anything electrical if something isn't right.
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

you can't 'fry' anything just because you've plugged into 15amp versus 50amp, as this is only the size of the breaker, not the 'amount' of power coming into the RV, which is always 120v no matter the size of the breaker...

but, on 15amp power you certainly will only be able to power certain things at the same time, maybe the air conditioner and another small device, but once you add the microwave, or the other air conditioner, you'll trip the breaker at your Shore power source.

'WHY' your system is showing 50amps is difficult to discern, but if either of the air conditioners are working, then you have power. Turn it off, and then turn on the front one.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #3

Turned off the rear ac, tried the front and it does not turn on. Weird, like something got switched. Oh well, as long as nothing can get hurt or broken I guess I don't care. Still I'd like to know why it changed and what it means.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #4

don't know about how your EMS power management system, if you have one, is designed, but sometimes they will have built-in 'management' of certain appliances or devices when you are on less than 'full' 50amp power, giving you access to some, but not others, at the same time... though why one a/c will not run by itself is certainly a good question... UNLESS, it is on the same 'leg', or side, of your 50amp electrical panel as your Battery Charger or your Water Heater, and you have one or both of those also ON. Your EMS might then be limiting that second a/c unit from powering up, even though it seems like you have nothing else being powered.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #5

It has always been that only one ac will work unless on 50 amp, the weird thing is that it has always only been the front ac, never the rear. That is why I say it's as if something got switched. The coach is sitting in our driveway in between trips. The fridge is residential, electric, no propane and right now the rear ac and the fridge are running.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #6

Make sure you have 50 amps selected on the inverter. Is your house hookup a 50 amp service?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

No. House is 15 amp. Connected with a 50 to 15 converter plug. I had 50 amp selected on inverter, then changed it to 15. No difference. Why select 50 amp if I am hooked up to 15?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #8

Oh, then you only have one 120 volt leg. You will only get one AC unit on.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

Yes. I get that. My question was actually why my plex panel does not let me tell it that I am on 15 amp. Used to be that when I was plugged into less than 50 amp I wd go to power management on the plex panel and it wd ask me 15, 20 or 30 amp. Now it just says 50 amp. No other choices. Should I be worried?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #10

No, you should not be worried. The only reason to select the power coming is to limit the load so you do not trip the source breaker. You can always just reset the panel if you want to see if the logic is corrected.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #11

Great. That's what I wanted to know. Thank you!
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #12

Don’t know this for sure but are you plugged in to a gfci circuit? Your power system might not like it
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power