Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #21

warranty fee

We purchased our Flagstaff from a dealer about 3.5 hours drive away from us. There is a Forest River dealer in our community but they do not sell the larger models so we couldn't purchase our unit from them. When I approached them about warranty work they explained that if they sell the unit they do all the warranty work and absorb any extra costs. Since we didn't buy from them we would need to pay those extra costs or pay for the whole repair and submit to FR to get reimbursed.
alix lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #22

Purchasing local seems to always garner the best result. Although I don’t understand why. It seems like reputation means nothing.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

Some car dealers are going the way of RV dealers. DW and I bought a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country from a used car dealer on June 12th. 3 weeks later the check engine light came on. I took it back to the used car dealer and they said they found a small leak in on of the return lines to the gas tank. The service manager said if it happens again to take it to a Chrysler dealer because it still has the Manufacturer warranty. 2 days later the light came back on so I called the local Chrysler dealer. The service manager said they would get me in, then proceeded to ask about the vehicle. In answering their questions I gave them the vin number. She came back that the vehicle wasn't in their data base and said Chrysler data base the T&C with that vin number indicated it was sold in Canada. She then proceeded to tell me that the only time they had open for warranty work was August 3rd.

The funny thing is I bought my 2011 Silverado in 2012 from the same used car dealer and Chevrolet has never made me wait for warranty service. BTW, both vehicles were lease returns and bought on auto auction by the used car dealer.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #24

There was another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Some car dealers are going the way of RV dealers. DW and I bought a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country from a used car dealer on June 12th. 3 weeks later the check engine light came on. I took it back to the used car dealer and they said they found a small leak in on of the return lines to the gas tank. The service manager said if it happens again to take it to a Chrysler dealer because it still has the Manufacturer warranty. 2 days later the light came back on so I called the local Chrysler dealer. The service manager said they would get me in, then proceeded to ask about the vehicle. In answering their questions I gave them the vin number. She came back that the vehicle wasn't in their data base and said Chrysler data base the T&C with that vin number indicated it was sold in Canada. She then proceeded to tell me that the only time they had open for warranty work was August 3rd.

The funny thing is I bought my 2011 Silverado in 2012 from the same used car dealer and Chevrolet has never made me wait for warranty service. BTW, both vehicles were lease returns and bought on auto auction by the used car dealer.
There was another thread about pickup trucks off-lease in Canada but sold in the US for greater return. I seem to remember discussion about whether the warranty was portable.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There was another thread about pickup trucks off-lease in Canada but sold in the US for greater return. I seem to remember discussion about whether the warranty was portable.

Larry

Larry, Thanks, I don't remember seeing a thread about that. Do you remember anything that can make easier to search for? I guess we will find out on Friday.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #26

This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Larry, Thanks, I don't remember seeing a thread about that. Do you remember anything that can make easier to search for? I guess we will find out on Friday.
I just typed "trucks from Canada" in the search bar and the first response was the one I remembered--from May 2018.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-158741.html

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #27

For those that are proponents of buying local do you shop on line?
I have rarely been fortunate enough to have failures that require warranty work while the coach is at home; usually they occur while on the road. Granted, if the maintenance can be deferred till I get home, then all is good.
Also, I have seldom lived in an area that has a dealer that sells the type RV I wanted so I had to go to where the RV was located. Usually many hours away from home. Location of the dealer, for RV's or cars has rarely been a concern to me. When repairs have been needed I have on occasion been placed behind "locals" but the that has been as in frequent as the need for repairs has been. With per-authorization, mobile techs and out of network RV repair facilities have taken good care of me.

Not opposed to buying local if they have what I want at a competitive price; will actually pay a little more for the initial convenience of being close to home.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
For those that are proponents of buying local do you shop on line?
I have rarely been fortunate enough to have failures that require warranty work while the coach is at home; usually they occur while on the road. Granted, if the maintenance can be deferred till I get home, then all is good.
Also, I have seldom lived in an area that has a dealer that sells the type RV I wanted so I had to go to where the RV was located. Usually many hours away from home. Location of the dealer, for RV's or cars has rarely been a concern to me. When repairs have been needed I have on occasion been placed behind "locals" but the that has been as in frequent as the need for repairs has been. With per-authorization, mobile techs and out of network RV repair facilities have taken good care of me.

Not opposed to buying local if they have what I want at a competitive price; will actually pay a little more for the initial convenience of being close to home.
Hook if I would have know then what I know now, I would not have worried to much about the buying local thing. Meaning about the independent mobile techs and Freightliner being responsible for as much of the rig as they are. I have been waiting 6 months for an order. But it has all worked out well because we got the exact color we wanted inside and out. In the end it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I bought both brand new RV's from local dealers (well, within 50 miles)...

The first one was because as we were just wandering around wasting time dreaming about buying a brand new one to replace our 35 year old beater TT and saw the one...and bought it a couple months later.

The second (my current 5'ver) I did discover online at the manufacturer's website and when I did a search of the US of A to see which dealers had that model...

Low and behold, a dealership 40 miles from my house had two of the only three west of the Mississippi River at that time.

One of which is now all mine (bought and paid off).

The other was 1000 miles away so never even considered it, no matter what the price.

That being said...both of those dealers promised the moon and stars about their after sales and service departments!

But when it came time for any kind of warranty service...they both failed miserably!

Mobil service is the best way to go, most especially if you want to use your RV any time during the summer...or any camping season for that matter!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #30

Past experience does help, if one remembers! I have trouble with that part.

When we decided on a DX3 RB there was one in TX. Went to wife's reunion in St Louis and stopped by at dealer. Made the deal and I went back a couple weeks later to pick up the coach. Had left a list of things to be done. You got it, they were not all done. Hadn't planned to have enough time to compensate for what my experience told me. That they wouldn't get it done.

Ours had a tri-fold torture sofa. Could never get comfortable in it and we don't need extra sleeping space. Plus we had recently bought a German Shepherd puppy and needed a place to kennel her when on the road/away from coach. Wanted theater seats but none were available at the time. So, out goes sofa, one dinette bench seat. Relocate dinette table and slide a large kennel under table between it and the wide, electric theater seats. We have used our camp chairs to seat extra folks. Doable.

Really do like our coach; fun to drive and live in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180405_104401.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	181895   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_110041.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	181896  
Old 07-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #31

Buying local does not always equate to good service after the sale. Bought a new Wolfpack that had some faults that I was made assured that they would be taken care of when I picked it up. Well 90% where not and when I got it home and found that the tongue jack was bent they made me bring it back so they could see it rather than let me take it off and bring it in. So I figured all the things I was going to fix myself rather than drag it the 70 miles I would have them take care of. Not only would they not replace the jack the did not fix a single item on the list. After many emails with the owner who finally told me to take it up my warranty claim with Forrest River. I contacted FR and found the dealer had never even filed a claim with them. My last email to my dealer was telling him how poorly he ran his business that they couldn't even file warranty papers right I got an email saying they would replace my tongue jack. After four months of ownership I was so disgusted I sold the unit. Needless to say I don't recommend this particular dealer to anyone.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
Past experience does help, if one remembers! I have trouble with that part.

When we decided on a DX3 RB there was one in TX. Went to wife's reunion in St Louis and stopped by at dealer.
Went by Texas on way to St. Louis???

The recliners you have now look super nice. Also can relate to the dog kennel remodel. Thats where the coach idea came from to begin with. We have a Brussels Griffon and a French Bulldog and they are our kids. Cant leave them at home so had to get the motorhome.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #33

Went from STL to Alvarado back home to SW UT.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #34
GWP

Mid State RV, a Forrest River Dealer in Byron, GA. Charges $150
Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWP View Post
Mid State RV, a Forrest River Dealer in Byron, GA. Charges $150
For what May I ask?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
For what May I ask?
Not sure how they validate the fee but I want to say thats about the same fee I was quoted from the dealer I checked with.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #37

If I had a warranty problem and a dealer was going to charge me anything the first call I would be making is to forest river.

Let me add I am forced to drive at a minimum 4 hours to purchase what I want since local dealers don't have/won't get what I want.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
If I had a warranty problem and a dealer was going to charge me anything the first call I would be making is to forest river.

Let me add I am forced to drive at a minimum 4 hours to purchase what I want since local dealers don't have/won't get what I want.
Yep, that is exactly what I would do, these dealers sign agreements, now they can try and get you to pay, but all it takes is a call to FR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #39
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rich View Post
After many emails with the owner who finally told me to take it up my warranty claim with Forrest River. I contacted FR and found the dealer had never even filed a claim with them. My last email to my dealer was telling him how poorly he ran his business that they couldn't even file warranty papers right I got an email saying they would replace my tongue jack. After four months of ownership I was so disgusted I sold the unit. Needless to say I don't recommend this particular dealer to anyone.
First mistake...emails!

Always call them and speak to a person!

And if that doesn't work...again, skip the emails.

Go straight to Yelp, Google and Facebook and write an HONEST review of your experiences with them at all three of these.

They'll (dealership) be all over you in five minutes trying to make things right.

It works...that is what it took to get my dealership to return phone calls.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
First mistake...emails!

Always call them and speak to a person!

And if that doesn't work...again, skip the emails.

Go straight to Yelp, Google and Facebook and write an HONEST review of your experiences with them at all three of these.

They'll (dealership) be all over you in five minutes trying to make things right.

It works...that is what it took to get my dealership to return phone calls.
JohnD10, I agree with your strategy, if it actually works.
It seems to me that after you post negative reviews, the damage is done. What does the dealership have to gain after that by suddenly doing their job, unless you promise to post positive reviews after they have done the service to your satisfaction, which they would most likely never believe you would do?
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty