Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Propane tank level LEDs

Brian,

Any comments or insight as to the accuracy of the propane level LEDs in the 2017 REV?

I have been at 3/4 full since last Spring. I ran heat then and this fall. No cooking. Heat on propane for maybe 4 to 6 hours a week in colder weather. I won't guess as to how many weeks.

I am thinking that the Truma sips propane but I need some reassurance.

Will try to get a top off this week to see but I was not positive that my last fill was complete.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Does your tank have a physical gauge on it? Mine does and the indicators in the coach have always been in line with what it says
Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

My SS has a sensor which elects to put forth 2/3 no matter the actual fill state. I was going to change the internal sensor in the tank, but never got around to it. We now being a couple of portable tanks for outside fire/cooking, and added a connection to the main tank in case main tank is emptied while parked.

The dogs let us know if they get too cold inside, which happens at about 62 degrees at the floor level. You can take the greyhounds from the track, but they will always be warm weather dogs! The trick is keeping the dogs comfy without cooking whomever is in the upper bed.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Commercial Member

The Truma is phenomenally efficient. Our tank sensors are fairly accurate assuming they are working. Truma makes an LP tester that checks the tank levels via sonar or something. You can always check accuracy with that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Just a warning about filling your tank. They should not be filled much more than 75% to allow room for expansion. If you fill them too much, you will experience problems with nuisance CO/Propane alarms. I found out the hard way, with many alarms until I burned off gas via the cook top.
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

I rely on the gauge on the actual tank. I had it filled once, and the attendant noted that she could not totally fill it. I later read, as stated in a previous post, that they should not be filled beyond 75%. I assume that the attendant was not aware of this, and that the dispenser she was using had a built in limit that stops tanks from being filled completely.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Commercial Member

80% is supposed to be the number. There should be a bleeder valve on all new tanks that prevent you from filling it further than 80% as well.

We list our LP tank and then always note with (WC) which is water capacity. Actual usable LP is 80% of that. Some mfg's list the tank size but neglect to tell you that it is WC and you assume you get all of that.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Does your tank have a physical gauge on it? Mine does and the indicators in the coach have always been in line with what it says

I can’t see any gauge for the tank.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teich View Post
Just a warning about filling your tank. They should not be filled much more than 75% to allow room for expansion. If you fill them too much, you will experience problems with nuisance CO/Propane alarms. I found out the hard way, with many alarms until I burned off gas via the cook top.

When looking for the propane gauge I noticed there is some sort of indicator that I think pops out when the tank is filled to the proper level. I didn’t read the verbiage closely so it may do something other than pop.

There is an RV place close by which is where I will get it filled. They did my one and only fill last Spring.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #10

I am probably going to switch my tank monitors over to the Sea Level BlueTooth version. They mount on the outside of the tanks, can use the same wiring that comes in the RV. Since they are on the outside, they read black/gray tanks without interference from paper, sludge, etc....

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...onitor-system/
Old 12-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
80% is supposed to be the number. There should be a bleeder valve on all new tanks that prevent you from filling it further than 80% as well.

We list our LP tank and then always note with (WC) which is water capacity. Actual usable LP is 80% of that. Some mfg's list the tank size but neglect to tell you that it is WC and you assume you get all of that.
I note that the Isata 3 brochure I'm looking at indicates that the propane capacity is 20.3 gallons, WC is not present. Is that a typo?
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #12
Commercial Member

not a typo, more of an omission. The "standard features and options" I oversee. The "key dimensions" is a table that engineering sends to the brochure people. Thanks for pointing that out however...I'll make sure engineering adds it to their table as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 12.57.56 P.png
Views:	51
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	157871  

Old 12-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Fair enough- thanks for the clarification.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Yes, the water capacity 80% fill rate with propane gets confused a lot, at least in the upright cylinders. It's explained in this link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Brian, it just appears the brochure is listing the cylinders water capacity by gallons instead of weight, but it should work the same as you stated.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
Consumer of Space

I installed See Level gauges on my previous rig and ran them for 8 years without issue. Simple install and as far as I know they're still working for the current owner. I'd like to try the new bluetooth version so I can see the levels on the RV Ipad. It'd be handy when filling up the fresh water tank as well.

Tags
led, propane, tank