Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

proper tire pressure for rev?

The label on the door frame indicates 65 psi for front an 80 for rear tires, however I just checked tire pressure on newly purchased 2018 24rb and pressure was 80 all around. What is correct pressure?
Thanks
richy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
The label on the door frame indicates 65 psi for front an 80 for rear tires, however I just checked tire pressure on newly purchased 2018 24rb and pressure was 80 all around. What is correct pressure?
Thanks
You can find the correct inflation pressures in three places, The tire placard, the vehicle's certification label and in the vehicle owner's manual.

On motorized RVs, inflation pressures above what has been recommended is usually an owners option. Inflation pressures below the manufacturer's recommendations is not an option.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Thanks

Get it weighed loaded as you would typically use it, ideally with a full tank of gas and whatever amount the of fresh water you expect to carry. Try CAT Scales at truck stops or moving companies and building supply (concrete and stone) yards.

Then consult your tire makers load and inflation chart.that will tell you the proper inflation. The placard numbers might be high for your situation but are a good one size fits all. I think we have Korean tires but don't recall the brand. In a pinch use the Michelin charts.

I usually run 60 front and 75 rear and get a smoother ride. I hit the scales at 8900 pounds even. 2 people and dog.

Strongly suggest that you gat a TPMS system. I use TST 507.

Enjoy your REV.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Get it weighed loaded as you would typically use it, ideally with a full tank of gas and whatever amount the of fresh water you expect to carry. Try CAT Scales at truck stops or moving companies and building supply (concrete and stone) yards.

Then consult your tire makers load and inflation chart.that will tell you the proper inflation. The placard numbers might be high for your situation but are a good one size fits all. I think we have Korean tires but don't recall the brand. In a pinch use the Michelin charts.

I usually run 60 front and 75 rear and get a smoother ride. I hit the scales at 8900 pounds even. 2 people and dog.

Strongly suggest that you gat a TPMS system. I use TST 507.

Enjoy your REV.
You need to read chapter #4 in the reference listed below. Tire manufacturers do not set recommended tire inflation pressures, vehicle manufacturer's do. The charts are better left to those that know how to properly apply them.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf
Old 09-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #5

my georgetown xl states 100 psi all tires. Michelin has a chart to match pressure to weight at wheel. I had my coach weighed at a truck place/stop. ask if you can get weight for each corner (I didn't). after weighing mine and adding 500# to total front and 2000# to total rear. the chart has my front at 75# and rear at 85#. I choose 90 for all. rides better and wanders a lot less. the manufacturer doesn't want any responsibility. the side walls need to flex to maintain wax and carbon black in sidewall rubber to migrate to the surface to protect front ultraviolet and ozone. Michelin says over 250 deg after driving will blow the tire. I bought an infrared temp sensor on amazon for $19. immediately after driving for an hour, my temps were 120 to 126 deg with outside temp in high 80s. I also use "303 tire protectant". spray it on and don't wipe. it won't hurt the wheels, but i wipe those off. check for a chart for your tire brand. good luck!
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks
The correct pressure is on the door frame.............period!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
The door frame is accurate for a new unit, but if some hero put on load range C tires instead of E or greater and you put 90PSI in them it will give new meaning to the words "China Bomb"!
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
You can find the correct inflation pressures in three places, The tire placard, the vehicle's certification label and in the vehicle owner's manual.

On motorized RVs, inflation pressures above what has been recommended is usually an owners option. Inflation pressures below the manufacturer's recommendations is not an option.
Airdale, were you an E, H, or an S? Thx for your service. I was a black shoe in the brown shoe Navy.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Airdale, were you an E, H, or an S? Thx for your service. I was a black shoe in the brown shoe Navy.
TYVM! "H"
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
The door frame is accurate for a new unit, but if some hero put on load range C tires instead of E or greater and you put 90PSI in them it will give new meaning to the words "China Bomb"!
The standards will refer back to the OE tires when there is a size change that is not able to comply with the inflation chart for the OE tire size.

The correct procedure is to use an inflation pressure that will provide the load capacity the OE tires provided at their cold recommended inflation pressures.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowe0521 View Post
my georgetown xl states 100 psi all tires. Michelin has a chart to match pressure to weight at wheel. I had my coach weighed at a truck place/stop. ask if you can get weight for each corner (I didn't). after weighing mine and adding 500# to total front and 2000# to total rear. the chart has my front at 75# and rear at 85#. I choose 90 for all. rides better and wanders a lot less. the manufacturer doesn't want any responsibility. the side walls need to flex to maintain wax and carbon black in sidewall rubber to migrate to the surface to protect front ultraviolet and ozone. Michelin says over 250 deg after driving will blow the tire. I bought an infrared temp sensor on amazon for $19. immediately after driving for an hour, my temps were 120 to 126 deg with outside temp in high 80s. I also use "303 tire protectant". spray it on and don't wipe. it won't hurt the wheels, but i wipe those off. check for a chart for your tire brand. good luck!
Are you referring to original equipment tires?

The simple answer to correct tire inflation is to always use inflation pressures that will equal or exceed the load capacity the OE tires provide at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures found on the vehicle's tire placard, certification label or in it's owner's manual. See FMVSS 571.120 paragraphs S5.3 - S5.3.1 & S5.3.2.

FMVSS Standards are those standards that vehicle manufacturers must abide when certifying vehicles. Within the referenced paragraphs above you will find that the FMVSS has directed the vehicle manufacturer to set inflation pressures that are "appropriate" for each vehicle fitment. Tire manufacturers will recommend nothing less.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #12

yes. michelin xrv 255-80 22.5
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowe0521 View Post
yes. michelin xrv 255-80 22.5
Then you should ask Michelin just who is supposed to set recommended cold tire inflation pressures for your RV tires. Maybe you will have more respect for their answer than some rambling anecdotal answer from someone like me.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #14

I spoke to michelin and a knowledgeable tire dealer several times to learn the mechanics of their tires, Heavy load truck tires are designed to carry weight, so they rarely recommend tire pressures for different loads, whereas michelin rv tires are designed to provide maximum ride, stability and wear for motorhomes specifically. on my previous mh
I installed Hercules tires. which are owned by michelin. they are very inexpensive and I had faith in their quality. Not knowing about the reason for matching tire pressure with load, I ran them at 100psi (245/70 19.5). it rode rough and wandered. some of which may be the nature of the older mh. since these 255/80 22.5 tires are only made by michelin. I have determined that the sidewalls need to flex and warm up 30-60 degrees as mine does at 90 psi. my coach maker recommends 100 psi all wheels. after I welghed the coach and added 500# to front and 2000# to rear. michelin suggested 75 in front and 85 in rear. without adding these additional weights, michelin suggested 75 in front and 75 in rear. At 90 i noticed the improved ride and a lot less wandering. being that my tires only reached 120-127 degrees from 88 outside, I feel confident to reduce further. I feel the key is temp. michelin says 250 degrees is max. $19 can buy an infrared thermometer at amazon. I believe all tire have a max speed rating, which I feel is very important to heed. sorry for rambling on. good travels to all.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
No reputable tire shop would do that
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
No reputable tire shop would do that

Perhaps... but what if the hero walked into the shop with loose tires in the bed of a truck?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Perhaps... but what if the hero walked into the shop with loose tires in the bed of a truck?
Again, a reputable shop would not put the under rated tires on, but he may not have gone to a reputable shop. In that case you cannot fix stupid.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

"In that case you cannot fix stupid" statements like this are the reason why people stop talking. nobody wants to be criticized for asking for advise.please keep it clean and respectful.

Tags
pressure, tire