Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #61

One set on each side, water bay and same bay opposite side. The wood in the picture is from me insulting my tanks which included the compartments on both sides. It is a 12 volt heater that I installed. I went with 12 volt, I figured if I'm driving down the road the truck is feeding it and if I'm plugged in the converter is feeding it. Could of ran a 110 heater through the inverter but this was easier.

I can raise the rear of mine from normal ride height about 4 to 5 inches, can also dumb the bags.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
When you say “short intervals “ are you talking about a trailer with a heavy tongue weight or some other circumstance?
No to the tongue weight. The ride height controllers will always adjust the rear ride height no matter what load you put on it (tongue weight). What I meant by short intervals is if I were driving a section of road at moderate speed or needed extra ground clearance to get in somewhere I can raise the rear up. I would not raise the rear and drive at highway speed because it changes the driveline angles.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
No to the tongue weight. The ride height controllers will always adjust the rear ride height no matter what load you put on it (tongue weight). What I meant by short intervals is if I were driving a section of road at moderate speed or needed extra ground clearance to get in somewhere I can raise the rear up. I would not raise the rear and drive at highway speed because it changes the driveline angles.

Great idea, sounds like just what I need. Looking at an abrupt change in grade I could just raise the rear. [emoji106]
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Correct. I think I brought this up. While some don't like the truck style saddle tanks and think the single center mounted tank is the answer...the location of the DEF tank is still up front and has caused just as many grumblings. So 6 one way half a dozen the other. Both are not perfect as long as you know what you have to deal with.

Why do Dmax have such a small, 6 gal, DEF tank? My Grand Cherokee has a 5 gal tank that will last about 10K miles.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #65
Commercial Member

That would be a question for Freightliner. That's what they give us.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #66

Quote:
That would be a question for Freightliner. That's what they give us.

Thanks but I doubt I would get an answer from Freightliner, Dmax is their customer, not me.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #67

Quote:
Thanks but I doubt I would get an answer from Freightliner, Dmax is their customer, not me.
Freightliner can install 3 different sizes 6, 13, or 23 gallon...it would just require requesting it with the build...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Freightliner can install 3 different sizes 6, 13, or 23 gallon...it would just require requesting it with the build...

Is it possible to replace my 6 gal with a 23 gal without taking the cab apart?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #69
Commercial Member

Sorry, I meant that figuratively, not literally. Our 5 Series actually has a 9 gallon DEF tank so its not all Dynamax. Other mfg's use the M2 and those are also 6 gallon. So I guess its more of a question as to why do RV builders use the 6 gallon DEF tank on the M2 when Freightliner offers a 13 and 23 gallon.

I guess its all a trade off. 6 fits where it does and we do not lose any of that first compartment. If you go to a 13, then you lose a portion of that first compartment would likely need to retool the fiberglass components that were designed before the DEF tank was around.

In perfect conditions, the M2 should use about 3 gallons of DEF per 100 gallons of fuel. So you need to add DEF about every other fill up. To put that in perspective...it looks like you could get from Elkhart, IN to Salt Lake City, UT before you need to add DEF.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Quote:
Is it possible to replace my 6 gal with a 23 gal without taking the cab apart?
Wouldn't fit without removing some of your electrical compartment.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #71

Quote:
Sorry, I meant that figuratively, not literally. Our 5 Series actually has a 9 gallon DEF tank so its not all Dynamax. Other mfg's use the M2 and those are also 6 gallon. So I guess its more of a question as to why do RV builders use the 6 gallon DEF tank on the M2 when Freightliner offers a 13 and 23 gallon.

I guess its all a trade off. 6 fits where it does and we do not lose any of that first compartment. If you go to a 13, then you lose a portion of that first compartment would likely need to retool the fiberglass components that were designed before the DEF tank was around.

In perfect conditions, the M2 should use about 3 gallons of DEF per 100 gallons of fuel. So you need to add DEF about every other fill up. To put that in perspective...it looks like you could get from Elkhart, IN to Salt Lake City, UT before you need to add DEF.

Thanks, you’ve answered my question, not an easy changeout.
It’s Dmax choice and I guess they figure that, unlike regular truckers, RVs don’t have steady long hauls so not worth taking up additional interior room.
I’ve gotten spoiled to filling my Jeep about once a year.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #72
Commercial Member

Well, to add to that...sometimes a mfg does something and everyone else follows suit. Then it becomes a chicken/egg thing. Did we pick the 6 because it fit with our tooling or did we tool to fit around the 6 because it was already there. In any event, it would be a big change today, unless they could make the tank in a different configuration.

I know the driver side fuel tank is a 50 gallon short (new size for them) because then they had to add the DEF tanks in, they were trying to keep everything tight to the cab rear wall for up fitters.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #73

Can always throw a case in one of the storage compartments. Then you get to choose where you lose storage from

I carry an "emergency" gallon so I don't get stuck/inconvenienced stopping at a station that doesn't have DEF at the pump. But really truck stops have become the norm for my refueling stops. Easy in/out and DEF at the pump keeps everything simple.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #74

Yep, 5 gallon can of Def. in storage bay. It is cheaper than buying at the pump.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Yep, 5 gallon can of Def. in storage bay. It is cheaper than buying at the pump.

I keep a spare gallon of DEF but often I have to fill at the older truck stops where they don’t have it at the pump. ( when feasible, I try to stay off the interstate and enjoy the scenery). When I fill with a 1 gal or 2-1/2 gal container invariably I spill on the RV or myself. Doesn’t hurt anything but leaves white on whatever it gets on.
I’m sure you’ll have done the same [emoji4]
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #76

Spilling is a problem. I use a 5 gallon Kerosene can, bought an extra long nozzle, seems to work ok with minor spills. It rides nice too, extra thick plastic.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #77

DX3 VS Renegade

We just spent a number of hours looking at DX3 and Renegade units. We live in Mid Canada (where it's cold) and are thinking of getting out of our Triple E 400 hp A - very worried about the capability of either brand to keep water / waste from freezing at very cold temps (We routinely run at -20C without freezing worries) ... engine heat exchanger heats the tank / plumbing bay or the rear furnace when camping. Will either the DX3 or Any Renegade unit protect the plumbing to that temp? As well - our 39' Invitation will crush any mountain with that engine. A little worried about only 350 hp in these units .... any opinions on climb performance (mine doesn't even gear down on cruise up the mountains)
brigus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #78
Commercial Member

You can always dedicate a heat exchanger to the utility bay. As far as I know, the Renegade does not have, nor do they offer Aquahot. Just an LP furnace. In my opinion, the larger they are the louder they are and you can't do zone heating.

If I were you, I would add some stick on insulation to the lining of the compartments. Add a thermostat to the utility bay and wire a heat exchanger to that t-stat. They have a zone they call "fresh water". I asked aqua hot to come out as we are in the process of doing the same thing. While it works for the most part now, when it gets really cold it could be better...so we're going to design it to have a more dedicated zone in that space.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #79

Thank you ... we have decided on the Rear Bath floor plan in the DX3 or perhaps the Dynaquest XL .... (really concerned about power) From you comments would it be fair to ask if a utility bay dedicated heat exchanger is in the plans for the next model year - either standard or as an option?

As well - we have dogs, big, big dogs. When the slides are in on the 37RB - what is the width of the hallway from the drivers area to the back of the coach .. we need room for dogs to walk and lie down as we travel I would really appreciate a photo.
brigus2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #80

Keep in mind you can take the 350 HP 8.9 to a Cummins dealer and they can upgrade it to 400 HP with just a SW flash, for a price of course. But this is a factory approved upgrade that is fully warranted. The turbo, radiator and transmission are rated to handle this upgrade, that why it is still covered under warranty. But I would try the rig as-is to see if you are happy with it since the HP has less impact on towing and hill climbing, its torque that really matters and the stock 8.9 has 1,000 foot lbs.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote