Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #1

Question between Dynamax & Renegade

Ok need opinion from you Dynamax folks. We currently have a Coachman Concord. We have had some issue with it but our service department have been some stand up guys and took care of us. Our three weeks to California last year I was ready to drive it off a cliff. We had move up from a Northern Lite truck camper. I had zero issue with it, put it on the truck and forget it.

We are getting ready to retire next year, going to go semi full time so we are kicking tires so to speak. We want to make the most inform decision we can to make this new RV the right decision.

What we have done so far, we live on the south side of Indianapolis. We drove to Thornville, OH and look at the Force HD BH and the DX3 wow nice rigs. Kudos to Dynamax we have seen a ton of RV's the placement of the TV is like a after thought with everyone, even in our current Concord. Very uncomfortable to watch TV. BUT you guys figure it out we love the entertainment center with the electric fireplace, with the 50 inch TV. AWESOME. The theater seating great job. BUT the wife does not like the kitchen lay out. She loses counter space. In our 30' ds we have a large counter space. She also loses storage around the kitchen area. I explained we can figure out other storage option like in totes in the over bunk in the drivers area.

But I got shot out of the water on that one. When we went to the Family Motor Coach Association rally here in Indianapolis a couple of week ago. We look at the Renegade Verona BH. She love the kitchen area lots of counter space. Freaking tv over the door with a swing arm. But lots of storage. HELP...

I have done some research the power plants and the M2 are same for both. BUT I have had a sour taste in my mouth from Forest River. I know my Concord is on the lower end but some issue could have been prevented (we will leave it that). I have been talking to IWS in Mountain Home, ID a Renegade dealer. They really hit it out of the park for customer service. I really did not talk to the guys over in OH about there customer service to what level I don't know. It is nice to see factory guys on here responding to every one questions.

A sales guy is a sales guy they want my money and will tell me what I want to here. BS tell me the truth, I have been a Firefighter for 35 years getting ready to retire I'm use to deal with guys with integrity, pull no punches tell it how it is. (I'm no snow flake!!!!) So when I ask the guys in ID do you get call backs there response was no, the guys in OH same answer. So how about you guys that drive these rigs, any issue other the usually wear and tear. I read the front end issue thread, that can be on any Freightliner or (freight shaker). Note to self when new camper purchase take to Freightliner ( NOT INDIANAPOLIS FREIGHTLINER ) took straight trucks and fire trucks there for years they just cant figure it out bad service department. We went to Nexus last year and they build on the International, but quality not there.

Help a brother out what's your all thoughts, I don't want to screw this one up way to much money on the line.

Thanks ART
Rescue Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Meh?
I was in the somewhat same boat.
I had a pos forest river sabre.
I went with an Isata 4, and couldn’t be happier.
There is fantastic support here and in person.
You can’t go wrong with a Dynamax.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

Only you can decide on the qualitative factors such as layout, colors, tv placement etc. The price point determines the trades offs between wanting everything and what the product offers.

Every MH I have owned comes with some issues and problems that need to be fixed even my new Isata 5.

We chose the I5 because of the floor plan, upscale materials, better build quality, Ram 5500 and Cummins engine. The support and help from the factory reps has been outstanding! I know if I have a question or a problem I can get a response / help almost the same day. Most of the time I can fix the problem my self. This makes me a loyal Dynamax customer. They also listen to suggestions and now see some of these being incorporated into new features in the product.

So, we really like the product and the factory support is outstanding.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

I know this is for Dynamax owners to reply, but I think Renegade input is important as well for you to be an informed buyer IMHO.

Since layout/floorplan is probably the most important consideration, all things else being equal the balance is in the basics etc.

First off, the #! reason to buy a Dynamax is Brian Clements, again IMHO. Itried really hard to buy a Dynamax because I wanted access to Brian, but alas the floorplans didn't work for me or DW.

With that out of the way, I'll try to address other concerns.

First off, the sway bar bushing problem with the M2 is non-existent on the Renegade as we, having a heavier front axle, do not have a sway bar.

The TV, also a complaint I have had for many years on many coaches. I think Dynamax and Renegade did it right. The TV over the door with an articulating mount is great and no more twisted necks. The Dynamax location is also very good.

For us, the larger tanks also were important as we prefer to boon dock and being able to stay on the tanks for 2 weeks (as we have) with reserve is the berries.

Again, if you find a DX3 or higher with the layout you like, and with Brian still there, I would say go Dynamax.

Quality wise, you make the choice for yourself.
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Take a look at the new DX3 RB. Good counter layout, good tv placement plus bath and 1/2 bath.
I have a '14 RB. Only problem was the AC units. Changed both from Colemans to Atwoods. The new DX3 come with Atwoods
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

AncientMariner thanks for the input, when researching the truck chassis I thought the two were the same truck. I did not realize the Renegade was a heavier truck chassis.

Also the larger tanks is a + I bird and duck hunt in Montana in Oct staying off the grid, solar and tank capacity is important.

Thank you for your assessment.
Art
Rescue Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Some models are on heavier chassis yes, just like our XL is on a heavier chassis. When comparing the Verona to our DX3 or Force HD, the chassis are the same (M2-106 with a 33,000lb GVWR). The biggest differences in the chassis are the Verona wheelbases are longer and they have a heavier front axle. This makes the Verona's turning radius wider than ours and heavier on the front end of the coach.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

Take a short trip up to Elkhart In. and do a tour of Dynamax see for yourself build quality .
mbc79708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

I'll sell you all day long on Dynamax, but it sounds to me like your decision may have already been made for you....

I dont know of any amount of service or build quality that is going to outweigh a partner who doesnt like the layout. What about a TS?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Don’t let the sour taste from forest river to sway away from Dynamax.

Whole different ballgame.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

I have been a member of this forum for over a year and must apologize up front for what I am about to say............... we just pulled the trigger on a new Renegade a few weeks ago. We visited the Elkhart area at least 3 times, toured Nexus, Dynamax and Renegade. We had to eliminate Nexus vs Dynamax and Renegade simply because the latter 2 have longer tenure and strong reputations (minus the Forest River stigma). Our main reason for going with Renegade was local dealer support (Transwest has a stellar reputation) and the floor plan. The closet space and storage on the Renegade blew us away. We also liked the layout of the split bathroom. Now to give equal time and fairness, we met Zach Gibson at the plant and the guy is eager to help, learning more about the product everyday and accommadating is an understatement. Zach is awesome. the FROG Dynamax forum has Brian and Zach here to help everyone with their issues which is another good tool, however, back to FR and the large corporate footprint, what happens when Brian gets promoted, or transferred as he did to get to Dynamax. Hopefully, there will be a protege to follow in his foot steps. We had a difficult decision to make but are totally happy with the direction we went in. I plan to continue to follow the FROG forums simply because there is a lot of great Freightliner info here.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Flattery will get you nowhere now, Explorer...

Ha, but in all seriousness, we appreciate the feedback, even if you aren't part of the Dynamax family... yet.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Zgipson and others.....There is a bigger difference between the DX-3 and the Renegade Verona in regards to the GVW of the chassis'...the DX-3 is 33,000 lb rated while the Renegade still utilizes the M-2 106 but has a GVW of 34,300 lbs (all models) and they do utilize the 13,300 front axle with no stabilizer bar vs's the 12000 lb DX-3. Longer wheel base on the Renegade (17" longer on each 37' model) will make for larger radius turns for sure but absolutely no chance of tail dragging.
ragoodsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Explorer1016, congrats on your new renegade. I'll be curious to see how things go as you use it. While I love my DX3, and oh the attention we get with, but we keep having issues. Hoping it's just new coach blues. The support from Dynamax has been great including the responses from Brian on this forum. Right now I think if they stepped up quality control we might not have had some of these issues
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Explorer1016, congrats on your new renegade. I'll be curious to see how things go as you use it. While I love my DX3, and oh the attention we get with, but we keep having issues. Hoping it's just new coach blues. The support from Dynamax has been great including the responses from Brian on this forum. Right now I think if they stepped up quality control we might not have had some of these issues
Kevin, thank you. We are like children waiting for Christmas!! We have a delivery date of early October and since we sold our previous coach, we are trying to get all of our home projects out of the way so we can take a nice long trip after delivery.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
Zgipson and others.....There is a bigger difference between the DX-3 and the Renegade Verona in regards to the GVW of the chassis'...the DX-3 is 33,000 lb rated while the Renegade still utilizes the M-2 106 but has a GVW of 34,300 lbs (all models) and they do utilize the 13,300 front axle with no stabilizer bar vs's the 12000 lb DX-3. Longer wheel base on the Renegade (17" longer on each 37' model) will make for larger radius turns for sure but absolutely no chance of tail dragging.

The longer wheelbase will also increase the chance of hi-centering, particularly when going over a railroad track, much worse than tail dragging.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
The longer wheelbase will also increase the chance of hi-centering, particularly when going over a railroad track, much worse than tail dragging.

Or when your going over Diablo Pass....
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #18

I can only tell you about my 2007 GS 350 with Cat350hp it been great still turns heads going down the road. Iv been over the rockies a few times and those long inclines in the east. I love the Dynamax its been good to us so far. You all know you just have to take care of them. I did hear that when Dynamax broke up a lot of the top staff started Renegade and put out a very good product.
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
I can only tell you about my 2007 GS 350 with Cat350hp it been great still turns heads going down the road. Iv been over the rockies a few times and those long inclines in the east. I love the Dynamax its been good to us so far. You all know you just have to take care of them. I did hear that when Dynamax broke up a lot of the top staff started Renegade and put out a very good product.
Not completely accurate. A salesman from Dynamax went over to Renegade (long after it was started) and became sales manager. The guy that started Dynamax is still here today.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Diablo pass!! one of my favs