Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #21
Just as confused as you

I had a sob TT that the door opened hard. It did not have an adjustable strike plate, sort of like a hole cut into the frame, so I used a narrow triangle file and trimmed away some of the aluminum on the opening. I filed a little at a time til it opened easy.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
You may have a point here. I know the handle to open is really tight and the DW can not even open it from the outside. Well she is really short also but mainly the handle being tight. I need to look at it and see if I can adjust it a bit and take some tension off it. Thanks for the reply
9/16 wrench, loosen the lock post and it will move in and out. I will say if you loosen it up too much the door will squeek when you drive. I added a Moly Kote o ring grease to the door seal and it helps stop the squeek for a while.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
9/16 wrench, loosen the lock post and it will move in and out. I will say if you loosen it up too much the door will squeek when you drive. I added a Moly Kote o ring grease to the door seal and it helps stop the squeek for a while.
I have adjusted the lock post as well and also spray WD-40 into the lock/unlock itself. It usually stops the squeak for awhile.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Also remember...this is a two stage lock like a car door.

Unlike a car door that is curved, ours are straight. So we have to camber the door to get it to seal properly. Too little camber and there is wind noise, too much camber and it can put pressure on the lock. BUT, if you make sure you are full engaged (2nd stage), you are normally OK.

If you push the door closed lightly, you will hear a click. If you push it again at the latch, you will then hear a 2nd click. Its similar to when you try to pull the car door closed and you don't do it with enough force...it stays open just a little bit. That is 1st stage. Then if you open and close with more force...that is 2nd stage.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Also remember...this is a two stage lock like a car door.

Unlike a car door that is curved, ours are straight. So we have to camber the door to get it to seal properly. Too little camber and there is wind noise, too much camber and it can put pressure on the lock. BUT, if you make sure you are full engaged (2nd stage), you are normally OK.

If you push the door closed lightly, you will hear a click. If you push it again at the latch, you will then hear a 2nd click. Its similar to when you try to pull the car door closed and you don't do it with enough force...it stays open just a little bit. That is 1st stage. Then if you open and close with more force...that is 2nd stage.
Understand Bossman. If I am having trouble with the unlock does it sound like too much pressure is on it. It worked fine at first but now when I hit the unlock you can hear it click but not with the same force as when you lock.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Very well could be...pressure is causing the lock to drag. Try pushing in on the door when you hit unlock, see if that helps. Then at least we narrow it down.

I think there is an entire thread on this subject and I posted troubleshooting tips from the lock mfg on there. I'll have to track that down.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Understand Bossman. If I am having trouble with the unlock does it sound like too much pressure is on it. It worked fine at first but now when I hit the unlock you can hear it click but not with the same force as when you lock.

exact same issue with mine (second time around!) Door is not pressured in any way. This was "fixed" once at factory and now doing the same thing again three months later.
Is there a more reliable unit available? Is the solenoid driver weak? the physical drag of the lock to much?
Is the lock assembly and the keypad made by same company that has done the research to match the circuitry to the lock mechanism?

I have keypad locks on a truck that has over 180K miles on it and no issue regarding the lock ever in 13 years
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I have adjusted the lock post as well and also spray WD-40 into the lock/unlock itself. It usually stops the squeak for awhile.
We did the moly kote thing, still squeaks. Our solution is usually to turn up the music but getting tired of it. Maybe ours is too loose, will check and WD40 into lock next
Old 09-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Very well could be...pressure is causing the lock to drag. Try pushing in on the door when you hit unlock, see if that helps. Then at least we narrow it down.

I think there is an entire thread on this subject and I posted troubleshooting tips from the lock mfg on there. I'll have to track that down.
Got in too late this evening to work on the door but I did go down tonight and tried pushing on the door at the entry latch and hitting the unlock. Still just a light click and didn't open. I used the key to get in and locked the door and pulled on the door pretty hard and hit the unlock and still nothing. I may try resetting passcode tomorrow evening to see if that does anything. If not I guess I will need to schedule a visit to the dealer and let them order a new one? Or if we can find the trouble shooting thread I can go through that also.

Edit: I just went back down and tried opening door and then closing just enough to activate the lock and unlock. Door locks fine but still would not unlock. Even when I use the key it is tough to unlock. If I have time tomorrow morning I may take apart and look to see whats up. We will figure it out.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #30

We had this happen on ours too, surprisingly right after I adjusted the lock post to try to eliminate the annoying door squeak. It was the first road trip where the door was totally silent. We were beyond excited...until later that evening at the campsite when we got locked out. After playing with it for a while, it finally unlocked. We carry the cab key with us all the time now, I adjusted the lock post back to where it was, and the door squeaks while driving again.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #31

Went down this morning and took door lock assembly apart. Put some Lithium grease on a few moving parts which helped the ease of use a little bit but did not fix the electronic part of unlocking the door. I reset the passcode just to give that a try and system will lock but will not unlock. I looked at the PDF file for list of suppliers but for us it says contact Dealer.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
Commercial Member

There is already a thread on this one with some pdfs and troubleshooting techniques. wonder if we can combine the two.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ue-167199.html

Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #33

I'm having the same problem as well. It worked fine up until last weekend. Mine will lock no problem, but just clicks when it should be unlocking. I've tried pushing in, pulling out, lifting up and pulling down on the door while trying to unlock, but nothing happens. I haven't had time to concentrate on it. "Hide-A-Key" is a must with one of these if you can't or don't want to carry your keys.

Tags
lock