Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Ram 5500 Chassis Service/Recall Repair

I know this was discussed before, and bclemens was working on a list of Ram dealers to perform service on these motorhome chassis'. Was this list ever made?

I received a safety recall U11/NHTSA 18V-100 for "Brake Transmission Shift Interlock", and every Ram dealer I call in my area says they can't accommodate a motorhome for service.

What do I do about this?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Did you tell them the recall code? I don’t think that needs lifter to repair. Some don’t even needed parts.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #3

It helps when you talk to the right person.

The first place I called (closest) that sells Ram 5500 chassis said they couldn't service that large of a vehicle. So, every other dealership I have been calling is telling me the same thing, except they all keep telling me that the first place I called will service it.

So, I called back to the first place I called and talked to the service manager and he said they would work on it, and didn't know why the first person I talked to said they wouldn't.

I have an appointment for next Tuesday.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

I had this recall done to my coach several months ago. It took the technician all of 5 minutes and no parts were involved. It was a firmware update and was done with a flash drive. It was performed outside the dealerships Quick Lube bays, so there was no need to pull inside the shop.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

5500 chassis service

had an oil change service today at Secor Dodge in new london, ct and was satisfied with the service at a cost of approx $130 which included removing the outside rear wheels so they could get air into the inside tires.

however, they mentioned nothing about a recall.

what is the nature of your recall? mine has got stuck in park 3 times. so far, turning off the engine and restarting has resolved the issue.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
had an oil change service today at Secor Dodge in new london, ct and was satisfied with the service at a cost of approx $130 which included removing the outside rear wheels so they could get air into the inside tires.

however, they mentioned nothing about a recall.

what is the nature of your recall? mine has got stuck in park 3 times. so far, turning off the engine and restarting has resolved the issue.
Dick, I went to a truck tire store and had them install long (I think 7") truck wheel stems on my inner dually. They are straight and poke through one of the holes in the outer wheel when mounted. You don't really need it but I also add a rubber grommet to fill the hole and isolate the longer stem works very well. Makes adding air and a TPMS a breeze. Cost was minimal.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

tire extenders

thanks, for your reply, Secor told me that they removed the outside wheel/tire to access the inside tire valve stem. you're saying the the inside valve stem lines up with one of the wheel holes on the outside wheel?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
thanks, for your reply, Secor told me that they removed the outside wheel/tire to access the inside tire valve stem. you're saying the the inside valve stem lines up with one of the wheel holes on the outside wheel?

I'm saying I bought longer valve stems, straight ones that poke through the outer wheel (hole), so no need to remove a tire to check the pressure. Here is a link to an example of long straight stems. I think I bought 7", but I got mine at a truck tire place, I didn't buy them online. The tire shop took the tires off, installed the stems, balanced the tires and after they were done I added the rubber stabilizer, though not really needed. So both tires can be checked and filled from the outside, easily. I have TPMS sensors installed on all of them too.

https://www.anythingtruck.com/catego...irevalves.html
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

thanks again, but i've three times been told that the inside tire valve stems don't align with the holes on the outside wheel. our previous alpine mh had the exact situation you described. i'll be out tomorrow with a flashlight hoping to find the situation you described.
from victory harbor, jersey city
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

They will align if you have an Isata 5. Dodge duallies will align, this is my second one. I don't live valve extensions because I've had them fail. The holes in the Alcoa rims are big enough to put your hand through. So I bought longer stems for the inside wheel. Put a tape measure in there, I think it's 7 or 8" to the inside rim. You'll want them long enough to stick through the outer rim's hole about an inch. Tomorrow I'll take a photo for you.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #11

I had a truck tire center put a several inch extension on the inner valve stems that included a "push button" on the end of the valve stem (not sure what to call it). I reach in a few inches behind the forward rim and can barely touch the end of the valve stem with a rag inorder to clean the "push button" and then check and/or fill with air. My idea is to wipe off any dirt before attaching the air hose.

I was unable to get any of the air chucks that I own to work though. Thus I purchased one (on Amazon) and have been happy.

12" Single Head Straight 1/4" Tire Air Chuck Brass END LOCK ON VALVE CORE THREADS
Sold by: AK Garage
$22.83

Also, Lynch Dodge Ram a Dealer in Mukwonago WI (very near Milwaukee) replaced my lift pump in my fuel tank and did recalls of a water pump and the shift interlock.(going from my memory here).

BTW, I highly recommend Lynch Dodge Ram ((262-642-4700). They simply crawled under the motorhome and did the work as they had no lift for something that large. They said they were flabbergasted that other dealers had turned me down. After they completed the work. And knowing that at least a dozen dealers had turned me down. I asked them how they would feel about being my first choice for future repairs. They said I was welcome back anytime.

They don't need a lift for most jobs. They need a can do attitude. I should mention that they and I both agreed that working on the motorhome would be a pain in the ass. Thus I offered to be very patient with my timing and allow them to fit it in at their least inconvenience. I also thanked them profusely.

Now back to making that list of dealer who can... and will.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, recall, repair, service