Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Love my Rev

Rev 2015 rain water leak

I have had this leak from the day we bought it and drove home in the rain . seems to be coming in at floor level under couch between the cover for furnace and the small storage door . I sealed the metal outside furnace cover ? could it be the rubber door gasket allowing water to get over the inside lip ? water is coming in between these doors ----
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Commercial Member

The walls set on top of the floor...could it be a seal on top of the belt trim???

Bagged doors can also be the culprit...but you say its not the door?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Love my Rev

ok - now after a real close look , I hope it was the bottom frame of the door . two of the screws were uncovered ( no sealant ) due to being rubbed off with door opening and closing . Our motorhome sets uo hill in our drive so water could run from under those dripping screws down 6" and then run out from under the furnace area . I will let all know after next rain . steve
Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32409 View Post
ok - now after a real close look , I hope it was the bottom frame of the door . two of the screws were uncovered ( no sealant ) due to being rubbed off with door opening and closing . Our motorhome sets uo hill in our drive so water could run from under those dripping screws down 6" and then run out from under the furnace area . I will let all know after next rain . steve
We have been having a leak there also. Look behind the brown trim behind the cab seats for wet insulation.

I took the screws out of the bottom of that door and filled each hole with clear silicone then replaced the screws. Topped the screws with more silicone and smoothed it out with a wet finger.

I removed the entire brown trim panel and insulation while I tried to find the leaks.

One place I found leaks was where the top front cap meets a lower panel behind the driver door. There is black silicon there, I taped it off with painter's tape where the silver coach color meets the black and added more black silicon caulk. Then smoothed it out with a wet finger when I removed the tape.

The rain gutter on the top of the RV runs right over that part with lots of water running down in a stream there.

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Love my Rev

roof leak in bath closet

I will keep that in mind also, but I think the bottom door screws were my problem ? I also wasn't going to mention my other leak but I will just in case someone else has this problem - We had clothes in our back closet laying on bottom behind the sink and on hangers when we noticed they were sopping wet . Got the flashlight and found water running down the plastic black air pipe vent going through the roof - easy fix on top with a caulking gun and silicon ( it was mostly caulked but had two small bare places ).
Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Love my Rev

I also don't want anyone to think I am gripping about anything I post - just fixing things and explaining how or what I did - for the next guy " I hope "
Old 08-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32409 View Post
I also don't want anyone to think I am gripping about anything I post - just fixing things and explaining how or what I did - for the next guy " I hope "
I was having a sewer smell from that pipe into the closet if I ran the exhaust or had the cab windows open while driving.

I took the vent cap off and filled the space where the pipe came through the roof with expandable foam. Replaced the vent cap and sealed it with a tube of lap seal. No more sewer smell.

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Love my Rev

finally

Thought I had fixed it by caulking bottom screws in the frame of the door , but still had water running across the floor while raining . So I took the small frame totally out and yes - there it was . Scraped old paint , caulk and rotten wood out and used a lot of silicone . Should be good to go now ?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Love my Rev

Forgot mention that if I were in charge of putting those small doors in - I think that the frames would be plenty solid with screws up around the sides and top only - the rain water will naturally set on the bottom edge of the door frames and would be great not having screw holes to try and work through ( just my opinion )
Old 08-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
Commercial Member

I'm not even sure what that is? It looks like some sort of rivet?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Love my Rev

well - it looked like the round head of a large spike hammered in at the factory ? When I first took the metal frame off , it was real evident what had been going on - but fixed now .
Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Commercial Member

On further review, it looks like the head of a carriage bolt.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
Love my Rev

You are right Brian , I was thinking that it was a wood surface , but that was thin metal sheeting so it would be a carriage bolt to the frame . ( still hard to believe all the water we would have coming from under couch running toward refrigerator and I had put silicone on and under that screw ?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Love my Rev

final post on this one

yes - that fixed the leak that caused water to run from under the couch to the refrigerator with every rain . Our bath towel laying on the floor to catch the very small stream is finally gone ! now getting ready for the next long trip , maybe to Canada and then down through all the north east states that we have never been to .
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #15
Commercial Member

It's a nice change of pace when the fixes are simple like that. Gotta enjoy the little victories!
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak