Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Reverse Lights on an Isata 5? ....or something else?

I have circled 2 lights in the picture below….what are they for?

I would have assume reverse lights that would have come on in conjunction with the OEM Mopar/Ram taillights, but as you can see in the picture, I am in reverse and those lights are not illuminated.

BLT4SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

They are not. They are docking lights. Activated by Aux switch #1 on the dash. So if you're hooking up the tow vehicle at night...you can have those on. I guess in theory, you could have the car head lights on....but then maybe towing a trailer they would come in handy.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

That’s pretty cool!
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
They are not. They are docking lights. Activated by Aux switch #1 on the dash. So if you're hooking up the tow vehicle at night...you can have those on. I guess in theory, you could have the car head lights on....but then maybe towing a trailer they would come in handy.
Very nice! Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Is there any way or place to add some LED cube lights for added rear backup lighting? I guess we could tie them into these for power? I would rather have them up high on the rear shining down, but bumper mounted would be ok.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
Is there any way or place to add some LED cube lights for added rear backup lighting? I guess we could tie them into these for power? I would rather have them up high on the rear shining down, but bumper mounted would be ok.
I think that's going to be my course of action as well. I'm also thinking about a small light up UNDER the back of the coach to illuminate the ground behind the tires. The wife and I have never owned anything with this much rear overhang and it I can see us backing into a campground after dark and not seeing a rock.....or re-bar sticking out of the ground.....or fire pit.....or small kitten that happens to be in between the rear bumper and the rear tires.

I'm just not sure what the load capacity is of that circuit. Is it simply fused? Is it relayed? I figure that those 2 "docking" lights plus 1 or 2 other that are all LED can be that much of a load though.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
I think that's going to be my course of action as well. I'm also thinking about a small light up UNDER the back of the coach to illuminate the ground behind the tires. The wife and I have never owned anything with this much rear overhang and it I can see us backing into a campground after dark and not seeing a rock.....or re-bar sticking out of the ground.....or fire pit.....or small kitten that happens to be in between the rear bumper and the rear tires.

I'm just not sure what the load capacity is of that circuit. Is it simply fused? Is it relayed? I figure that those 2 "docking" lights plus 1 or 2 other that are all LED can be that much of a load though.
right, LED doesn't cause much load, added a lot on our tractors, no problems. I thought they had under coach led strip lighting, but that might be some show stuff I thought I saw. I will probably add some under coach strip lighting, which would solve the problem of seeing what's going on under there. Petes sake, that's the problem, once I get it, I don't enjoy it, I spend time customizing it!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
right, LED doesn't cause much load, added a lot on our tractors, no problems. I thought they had under coach led strip lighting, but that might be some show stuff I thought I saw.
No under-coach lighting on the I5.

Quote:
Petes sake, that's the problem, once I get it, I don't enjoy it, I spend time customizing it!
Ooooph.....don't even get me started! I already have the entire front end off of mine! (post to come)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Commercial Member

That cap is wide open back there, you're welcome to add whatever you like. Should be able to tie into the lower lights for power. They're LED so as long as you don't go crazy you should be fine.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
That cap is wide open back there, you're welcome to add whatever you like. Should be able to tie into the lower lights for power. They're LED so as long as you don't go crazy you should be fine.
So, add a 3rd AC unit and tap into the docking light circuit.....got it.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post

Don't you use a spotter and if you don't shouldn't you at least get out of the rv and check the spot (flashlight anyone) before backing in? If you don't at least do one of these your issue is not lack of illumination.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't you use a spotter and if you don't shouldn't you at least get out of the rv and check the spot (flashlight anyone) before backing in? If you don't at least do one of these your issue is not lack of illumination.
Yep, understood. It was just one of those things I thought would make life easier for the person who _is_ doing the guiding. Sort of like:
  • Driver lines up with the camping spot
  • Spotter jumps out
  • driver hits the "Aux 1" button on the dash which would turn on the docking lights and these "under carriage lights" which illuminate the ground
  • driver puts it in reverse and gets guided by the spotter.

Spotter would, in theory, have little need for a flashlight at that point.

Anyway, it was just an idea that I had. $20-30 in little LED cube lights, 10-15 minutes of mounting, 10-15 minutes of wiring and viola', the ground has light at the push of a button.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
So we can access inside the cap easily?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
with a creeper you can see into the back of that cap. it gets a little more snug the higher you go, but at least the lower 3rd is fairly accessible.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Everything below the floor level is wide open. The back of the docking lights and their wires are VERY easy to get at.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
Retired Army Paratrooper

Reverse Lights on an Isata 5? ....or something else?

This is what I done to our Force HD. You should have plenty of room in the 5 to do this also. [ATTACH]180486
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8266.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	180486  
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light