Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #81

Ok, had the ecm reflashed with the newer calibration for 1150 lbs torque. $160. This was done in conjunction with a B full service. Total bill 560.00

On trip back home I left the tranny in D ( I usually manual the tranny on the hills.) My trip back was over four long grades of 4 - 6% each. The tranny downshifted one gear on one time and maintained around 63mph.
Throttle response was a lot better. I even got "caught" behind slower semi's a couple of times and had rpm drop down to 1300. When a hole opened up I moved over and mashed the pedal. To my surprise the MH stepped right out and I ran up to 65 then let cruise control take over. It regained all the lost speed and maintained around 63 the rest of the climb. This would not happen before the recalibration of the ECM.

Thanks to RV Randy on providing the software codes. Works great!

Oh a side note, I was empty of all water and only 3/4 on fuel.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:11 AM   #82

Glad you were able to get it done and are happy with the changes. The power band of this calibration seems to be a much better match to the configured Allison shift points. My guess is that this will be a standard offering on the M2-106 based Dynamax products soon.

Now you can just ride instead of having to drive it
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Ok, had the ecm reflashed with the newer calibration for 1150 lbs torque. $160. This was done in conjunction with a B full service. Total bill 560.00

On trip back home I left the tranny in D ( I usually manual the tranny on the hills.) My trip back was over four long grades of 4 - 6% each. The tranny downshifted one gear on one time and maintained around 63mph.
Throttle response was a lot better. I even got "caught" behind slower semi's a couple of times and had rpm drop down to 1300. When a hole opened up I moved over and mashed the pedal. To my surprise the MH stepped right out and I ran up to 65 then let cruise control take over. It regained all the lost speed and maintained around 63 the rest of the climb. This would not happen before the recalibration of the ECM.

Thanks to RV Randy on providing the software codes. Works great!

Oh a side note, I was empty of all water and only 3/4 on fuel.
Glad to hear you were able to get it done! Your description of the performance improvements is identical to my experience. Don't thank me, Mookie was the first who kicked this off. I just shared some additional details. Hopefully there is now enough evidence for folks to now believe this is not an urban legend or that we are just experiencing "placebo" effects.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #84

Not me...original credit goes to dlfishing. He pioneered this effort.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #85

Alright! Thanks to all that have discussed this. I do believe it was RV Randy and Mookie that published the actual software codes that have been used.

Anyway, it does make a difference and I thank all.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I made a post quite a few months ago about power or tuning enhancements for the DX3.

One of our members got a OEM upgraded tune that added 150'ish ft lbs of torque. Unfortunately when i called the dealer, they said that the 2018 LB9 engines were already maxed out torque wise.

That said, there were some companies coming out with tuners (which I don't understand why if it's "maxed out")

After coming back from KY with my rzr in an enclosed trailer, I simply need more power. I'm tired of starting off at the bottom of a hill running almost 80 (limiter maxed out) and running 35 when I hit the top of the hill.

The DX3 does great not pulling anything but clearly it's not enough. I have no idea how Dynamax can advertise that the DX3 has a 20K lb towing capacity. While the frame may be able to tow that much, the engine power would drive you crazy.

Has anyone found anything yet? Last time I checked, there were 3-4 companies that were just about to release their tunes but hadn't yet.

Anything?

Thanks,

Mark
Were you pulling a trailer?
37ForceHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ForceHD View Post
Were you pulling a trailer?

As I mentioned, yes... I was pulling my Rzr in an enclosed trailer. I actually just made a post that I just got back from KY pulling the same rzr in the same trailer and the drive sucked.

We had to take a detour coming from TN to NC over 40 and went up highway 25. We were running as slow as 15 mph coming up some of those hills. IMO, pulling roughly 7-8K lb load up a hill with a DX3 and manually shifting simply isn't enough. It needs more.

Back to Mookie's post... what year is your Dynamax? When I originally made this post, DLfishing had the mod done but his RV is older and was able to have it done. According to my dealer(s), I am not able to do this on an '18.

Thanks,

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #88
Commercial Member

Quote:
As I mentioned, yes... I was pulling my Rzr in an enclosed trailer. I actually just made a post that I just got back from KY pulling the same rzr in the same trailer and the drive sucked.

We had to take a detour coming from TN to NC over 40 and went up highway 25. We were running as slow as 15 mph coming up some of those hills. IMO, pulling roughly 7-8K lb load up a hill with a DX3 and manually shifting simply isn't enough. It needs more.

Back to Mookie's post... what year is your Dynamax? When I originally made this post, DLfishing had the mod done but his RV is older and was able to have it done. According to my dealer(s), I am not able to do this on an '18.

Thanks,

Mark
Based on everyone else's experience...it sounds like something is wrong.

I would make sure you are in power mode and not eco. Maybe take a look at the thread regarding the throttle shim and if not comfortable with that, taking it into Freightliner to look at throttle shim.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Based on everyone else's experience...it sounds like something is wrong.

I would make sure you are in power mode and not eco. Maybe take a look at the thread regarding the throttle shim and if not comfortable with that, taking it into Freightliner to look at throttle shim.

I will have them take a look at it when I take it in next week for the 4-5th time to fix the aqua hot. UGH.... (oh, and finish replacing the tile they were suppose to have done two weeks ago)

Mark
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #90

Mines a 2018 and I had no problem getting the recal done once I found the right Cummins tech. I did check my accelerator today and I can see a washer stack wrapped in green tape behind the bolts so mine was shimmed before it shipped to me.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Mines a 2018 and I had no problem getting the recal done once I found the right Cummins tech. I did check my accelerator today and I can see a washer stack wrapped in green tape behind the bolts so mine was shimmed before it shipped to me.
Randy,

Can you send me a pic? I'd like to see where this washer goes.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #92

Will be next weekend before I will be home to take a picture. It's the bottom bolts where the accelerator mechanism bolts to the interior firewall, just like the photo shows in the instructions Brian posted up.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 03-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Will be next weekend before I will be home to take a picture. It's the bottom bolts where the accelerator mechanism bolts to the interior firewall, just like the photo shows in the instructions Brian posted up.
Okay, I'll look at the photos Brian posted. I must have missed that thread...

OH NO, I didn't miss it, I have Brian blocked.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #94

Quote:
Okay, I'll look at the photos Brian posted. I must have missed that thread...

OH NO, I didn't miss it, I have Brian blocked.

Thanks!
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-180708.html
Old 03-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #95

I had the upgrade done today, noticeable difference.
You can hear the Turbo putting in some work now.
My cost was $485.00
37ForceHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #96

Great information Guys, Thank you!!!

I just bought a DX3 for the 20K tow rating. I was towing a Toyota Corolla up the Grapevine and got passed (like I was standing still) by a Class A that said 340 HP on the back of it.

Anyone towed heavy with one???
DeltaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMike View Post

I just bought a DX3 for the 20K tow rating. I was towing a Toyota Corolla up the Grapevine and got passed (like I was standing still) by a Class A that said 340 HP on the back of it.

I tow an 8K trailer in the Colorado mountains frequently. Does fine (passes most of the semis) but you need to manually shift the trans to keep the rpm between 1700 - 2000 to get the best performance and make sure your trans is in the correct mode. Default should be performance mode but some may have been setup with default being economy mode.

The class A may have been totally empty and/or the driver was manually shifting and had a good run at the hill. Or, it's a 600 HP rig that he stuck a 340 HP badge on just to yank your chain.....
Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Aw shucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMike View Post

I started this thread because I hate towing with my DX3. I pull about 10-11K pounds and get passed by a little old lady in a wheelchair. I have to either take a run to get up a hill or suck it up by driving 35mph.

I've tried manually shifting, taking runs, it doesn't matter. Going up long 7%+ grade hills SUCKS!

Quote:
I tow an 8K trailer in the Colorado mountains frequently. Does fine (passes most of the semis) but you need to manually shift the trans to keep the rpm between 1700 - 2000 to get the best performance and make sure your trans is in the correct mode. Default should be performance mode but some may have been setup with default being economy mode.

The class A may have been totally empty and/or the driver was manually shifting and had a good run at the hill. Or, it's a 600 HP rig that he stuck a 340 HP badge on just to yank your chain.....
Randy,

Economy mode is when it starts out in second, right?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #99

Quote:
I started this thread because I hate towing with my DX3. I pull about 10-11K pounds and get passed by a little old lady in a wheelchair. I have to either take a run to get up a hill or suck it up by driving 35mph.

I've tried manually shifting, taking runs, it doesn't matter. Going up long 7%+ grade hills SUCKS!

Randy,

Economy mode is when it starts out in second, right?
Yes
Old 07-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #100

Stein Bauer is working on wiring harness that fits the rv chassis - I had one but one connector was wrong - has anybody been in contact with someone about steinbauer?

Tags
power