Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #1

Revisiting DX3 power options....

I made a post quite a few months ago about power or tuning enhancements for the DX3.

One of our members got a OEM upgraded tune that added 150'ish ft lbs of torque. Unfortunately when i called the dealer, they said that the 2018 LB9 engines were already maxed out torque wise.

That said, there were some companies coming out with tuners (which I don't understand why if it's "maxed out")

After coming back from KY with my rzr in an enclosed trailer, I simply need more power. I'm tired of starting off at the bottom of a hill running almost 80 (limiter maxed out) and running 35 when I hit the top of the hill.

The DX3 does great not pulling anything but clearly it's not enough. I have no idea how Dynamax can advertise that the DX3 has a 20K lb towing capacity. While the frame may be able to tow that much, the engine power would drive you crazy.

Has anyone found anything yet? Last time I checked, there were 3-4 companies that were just about to release their tunes but hadn't yet.

Anything?

Thanks,

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Go to a Cummins service center and tell them you’d like your L9 recalibrated from 350/1000 to 350/1150. It’ll take about an hour and will cost a couple hundred bucks. The actual ECM calibration ‘names’ for each have been posted before, but I can probably dig up a picture if you need me to. The difference, when towing, is significant.

At least three folks on this forum have successfully gotten this done thanks to original legwork by dlfishing.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

I’ve just got to ask how does your speed compare with semis on these grades? I always find I’m still doing better then them in all cases. Sure it slows down but not sure why running full speed up grades is even a requirement.

That said more power is always nice. From what I’ve seen we’re limited by cooling on these rigs. If you want to tune up just make sure you add the needed sensors for EGTs and watch your engine temps. Those long grades are going to be what finds the limits I’m betting
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Or Dynaquest XL. 450 - 1250

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

You know he’s holding out for the Cascadia
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #6

We just towed our enclosed trailer to Florida through WV and Virginia. I was passing semis in the mountains, I did slow to about 55 on one grade but was still passing. Not sure they can tune the engine enough to keep at 70 on grade.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #7

If this helps you, when I had my 40’ pusher pulling a 24’ trailer over the Rockys it did a lot better if I shifted manually. I found I could anticipate the grade better than the auto trans could. I’d keep the rpms up a little higher and it would top out the mountains a lot faster.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
You know he’s holding out for the Cascadia
Speaking of which...seems like the last tidbit from Brian was that they had a bath and a half, BH floorplan sorted out. Any updates since? Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on what engine Dynamax would spec in a new Cascadia based chassis?
Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

Holding out for the Cascadia as well. Going to the factory on Nov 5, maybe

I can pry some info out of Brian. LOL or maybe there is a "concept"

drawing laying around. LOL
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
If this helps you, when I had my 40’ pusher pulling a 24’ trailer over the Rockys it did a lot better if I shifted manually. I found I could anticipate the grade better than the auto trans could. I’d keep the rpms up a little higher and it would top out the mountains a lot faster.
This is definitely the case with the big dynamaxes also. I can keep it at 45 on the grades in CO but it’ll definitely drop lower if I let it auto shift. Once you lose that momentum you’re not getting it back til the grade breaks
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Or Dynaquest XL. 450 - 1250
I like that idea. I think Crush should get one. I would also like one if we could get it without the tile and few less luxuries. I like the power and the look but I'm a redneck and dont want all the other stuff. I try to keep it simple

Put that engine in a DX3 with the Vinyl Core-Tech wood floors and the rest of the DX3 options and ding ding ding. We would have a winner Bob.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #12

Couple of thoughts from an outsider...

The 1150 clibration is a bit elusive. I have it on my Renegade and was told it could only be put on the 2019 model because it required a different setup from FL and had to be ordered that way. One of the reasons given was the driveline (which I assume was just the rear end or drive shafts?). I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but it something I was told. Seems like the hard parts on the motor would have to be the same and a calibration change could enable it.

I did drive both and noticed a decent difference. Not huge, but it climbs decent in what I have been in. Have not had any major trouble, but I have not been in the mountains above sea level. I've just been in hills that are pretty steep grades and the MPG does go to crap in those conditions. But it seems to hold speed pretty well as long as I'm not starting up from a stop.

As far as more power goes (enough to go 75 up I-70...). There are two brands that offer whatever you want in SuperC world. Renegade and Showhauler. You can get DD16 or the big Volvo. If ordering, you can pick whatever chassis and motor combo you like. Western Star, FreightLiner, Volvo.. Granted, these are not cheap at all. You can also step down to the m2-112 if desired. The Volvo seems to be the most popular though.

However, something I heard from some big OTR drivers that gave me some pause outside of the price tag of those rigs... Is that these modern motors like a DD16. Needs to be pullling the right load for that much power or they will just clog up the DPF and not be reliable long term. Now this may be million mile talk... I don't know. But it makes sense when you think about it. These big diesels need to be working hard the majority of the time or it can't convert all the soot.... Plus I know a few guys with the DD16 rigs in Renegades and they get like 5-6MPG on a good day. Can't really have your cake and eat it too I guess is what I'm saying. In the pre emissions days it was different.

I see myself possibly wanting a class 8 super C at some point, but hopefully this m2 will be plenty for a few years of learning if the juice of a class 8 is worth the squeeze.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

Good info wfo9. I agree with the engine needs to be " used " to keep it performing. I have had my mechanic on my diesel engines for farm equipment tell me more then once, I needed to run the engine to specs while mowing hay or bailing or whatever. I am bad to run the engine at enough rpm's to do the job rather then running it to performance specs. In thought I would think I was taking care of the engine but in turn am doing more harm. He tells me, on more then one occasion, the diesel engine is made to work and likes doing it.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Put that engine in a DX3 with the Vinyl Core-Tech wood floors and the rest of the DX3 options and ding ding ding. We would have a winner Bob.
For a brief period of time an M2-112 chassis was an option on the DX3...pretty sure someone on here has one.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #15

The DX3 is one beautiful Rig
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Go to a Cummins service center and tell them you’d like your L9 recalibrated from 350/1000 to 350/1150. It’ll take about an hour and will cost a couple hundred bucks. The actual ECM calibration ‘names’ for each have been posted before, but I can probably dig up a picture if you need me to. The difference, when towing, is significant.

At least three folks on this forum have successfully gotten this done thanks to original legwork by dlfishing.
I did contact my dealer. He told me that the DX3 (mine is an ‘18) was maxed out. He said the teams was its limiting factor.

Dlfishing... doing 70 up a grade isn’t a requirement but slowing to 35-40 isn’t going to cut it neither.

Mark
Old 10-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #17

What happened to the edit button? I wanted to edit my post but there is no edit button. Did I miss something?

As far as the DX3, it has enough power to drive where I want. I'm pulling a 25 foot enclosed trailer (12' tall with custom ramps on the inside) and my rzr (which probably weighs just shy of 2000 lbs, trailer probably weighs 500-6000 lbs)

Point is, there are some hills in VA and KY that even if I take a running start, I lose momentum and end up doing 35 mph up. I know the DX3 is rated at towing 20K pounds but I don't see how, it would be faster to walk up these hills.

I think a little more torque (150-200 ftlbs) would be perfect. Not looking for smoking the tires or running 70 up a hill but I need more than 35.

Mark
Old 10-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #18

Okay, thats weird, I just replied and the edit button is there but the post immediately above mine (my post) has no edit button.

Mark
Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #19

Mark I think it has a time limit on the edit and once another post has been made the edit goes away. I think..
Old 10-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #20

Mark, if I were you I would call the same place that did the upgrade for Dennis and ask them if your motor can be upgraded to 1150. Just because your dealer said so doesn’t mean they are correct. I ask a Cummins shop in my area about the upgrade and he knew nothing about it.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power