Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Rise Over Run

New to this forum thought I would just jump in and ask the question. First a little background. Our drive slopes up from the street at a fairly steep angle for about the first 12 feet or so then changes to a manageable slope. When we looked at purchasing our current motorhome, we calculated the initial slope of the drive and measured the rise over run and calculated the slope of the rear end of the motorhomes we were interested in. Our purchase decision was made impart to this value. Now we are down sizing and have interest in the Isata 5 30FW and the Isata 3's. Has anyone any words of wisdom regarding the length of the rear and the generally lower height and how to overcome the challenge of backing up the drive so nothing drags on the blacktop. Thanks in advance.
Texacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

I would be glad to draw it out (if you don't already have it) if I could get the following info;
Wheelbase of the unit --
Length of the overhang --
Height of the lowest point at the rear of the overhang --
Slope of the first section of the drive (I assume the perpendicular roadway is level) --
Length of the first sloped section --
Slope of the second drive section --
Length of the second drive section --

Rise and run is better for the sloped sections.

From there you can figure out if the rear end will drag and then come up with some ideas to prevent that.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Wow.

Your driveway angle sounds like a driveway entrance that I would not attempt to enter IF it was like a gas station entrance or such. The biggest concern with my motorhome is always trying to judge whether there’s enough clearance NOT to drag bottom of the overhang behind the rear wheels.
Every rig is different.

Good luck unless you can approach your driveway at a severe angle from the side.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #4

I don't have this detail on the Isatas, I can get the driveway measurements, it will take me a little time to get it though. Will get back to you and appreciate your help
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Commercial Member

The 30FW probably has our shortest overhang and there is a pretty step departure angle...all point to good geometry for what you are doing. The proto is at Pomona if you want to get some dimensions on it. otherwise I can try and get a "pdf". I trust real world better though.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

bclemens, thanks for offering this detail. I note from your responses from other threads I have read you are a rep for Dynamax and appreciate your candidness. Will 4x4 increase this height?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I haven't noticed any difference on the 4X4. Being a rear wheel drive, the back is high anyway. i feel like the whole chassis slopes forward.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texacon View Post
bclemens, thanks for offering this detail. I note from your responses from other threads I have read you are a rep for Dynamax and appreciate your candidness. Will 4x4 increase this height?
He is actually the "GM" of Dynamax and always on here answering our questions. Amazing
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
He is actually the "GM" of Dynamax and always on here answering our questions. Amazing

[emoji106][emoji2][emoji106]
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #10

letsgorving, good to know as I move along the route to deciding, having someone from the corp who is personally involved in this forum will go a long way