Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Rubber Seal on bottom of Dinette Slide-- IDEAS?

I have a 2018 Isata 4 and on the bottom of the dinette slide they have a rubber seal hanging down on the bottom. I guess it is there to stop things from going under the slide. Mine has pulled loose because they used very short staples into press wood. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I am not sure it is necessary but it is a fairly large gap. It looks like I would have to tear the front panel off in order to restaple it so it will hold. Hope someone has a good idea
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Commercial Member

If you pull off the stair nosing (black corner molding) the front fascia is put on with screws. You should be able to pull that off pretty easily to get much more room for the rubber piece. Not sure if that is attached to the front fascia or the bottom of the floor. Our guys take them off all the time.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Slide Rub Strip

Hi Brian, It is stapled to the backside of the front fascia. Are you saying I should just remove it or pull the panel and re-install. I am sure it is something I can handle. Just FYI the staples are really short that they use. The material has self adhesive 3m tape but they did not use that they flipped it over and stapled it. Hope this makes sense. Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I would pull the panel and add fasteners. Otherwise, there is a pretty large gap there.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Thanks Brian!
Old 03-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

It sounds as if the self-adhesive was intended to be the primary method of fastening, and the staples were there to reinforce that.

Perhaps try this:
  • Reverse the strip and use the self adhesive as intended;
  • Rather than staples, reinforce with screws;
  • Since screws don't old well in "pressed board" or particle board, inject Gorilla Glue into the pilot holes and onto the screw threads. Gorilla glue will bond to both the "wood" and the metal and keep it from vibrating out. I use the Gorilla glue tactic on every fastener I drive into the "wood sort of stuff" commonly used in RVs...from cabinet hinge screws to small lag screws. It works very well, and with a cordless impact (screw) driver, you can break them free to do repairs as needed.

Note that Gorilla Glue expands much like aerosol expanding foam insulation, so apply it sparingly. If it does ooze out in a cosmetically sensitive area, do NOT wipe it off while wet. It will make a mess. Let it dry then scrape off the excess.

I'm not sure this is possible, but staples are about the worst fastener you can use in virtually any application.

Good luck with the repair.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnapapartsguy View Post
I have a 2018 Isata 4 and on the bottom of the dinette slide they have a rubber seal hanging down on the bottom. I guess it is there to stop things from going under the slide. Mine has pulled loose because they used very short staples into press wood. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I am not sure it is necessary but it is a fairly large gap. It looks like I would have to tear the front panel off in order to restaple it so it will hold. Hope someone has a good idea
The best product I have found for any rubber seals and mouldings for reattachment is 3M 80010 weather strip adhesive. The seal over my slide came completely off a few years ago and I reattached it and in 6 years it hasn’t moved.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Commercial Member

As a side note...we typically don't use any particle board or "pressed board". that front piece would be either "lumbar core" stiles (wood core with a veneer front and back wrapped in vinyl) or Italian Light Plywood also wrapped in vinyl. We do that on the models we need to save weight and then solid wood on the ones we don't.

Tags
seal, slide